5.0 out of 5 stars Captures the spirit of the times
Having read through the reviews, I find that no one is really expressing my view on the book.
Published on 6 Nov. 2001

3.0 out of 5 stars Tragic, fascinating story, bad writing
Published on 2 Mar. 1998

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Captures the spirit of the times, 6 Nov. 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: Thing of Beauty: The Tragedy of Supermodel Gia (Mass Market Paperback)
Gia was obviously no saint and I don't think the book in any way tries to portray her as a tragic victim. The author shows himself to be more than aware of her faults. I don't think you need a qualification in social work (see other reviews) to realise that there are many who start with less than Gia. I think the author would agree with this but I don't think this is particularly relevant to the book.
Other reviews complain about the author's fascination with the age in general, David Bowie, Studio 54, other models. I find this the book's strength. It documents the last age when people could sleep around and abuse substances with a kind of innocence. I think the parts of the book which handle the intial rumours of a new kind of mysterious plague and reality of Gia's AIDs are fascinating. I really think the book captures the spirit of the early to mid eighties extremely well.

5.0 out of 5 stars tragic beauty touched my heart, 4 Oct. 2000
By A Customer
Gia Marie Carangi was a person of many sides. This book is a fantastic look at the woman that changed magazine covers as we know them: a foul mouthed brunette kick up the ass for early 80s fashion. Gia had many inner demons: I feel if she had got help earlier, she would still be with us today. In the end, I think AIDs wasn't the only thing that led to her tragic demise way before her time: the lack of attention and love she so craved all her life also contributed to the incredible pain she had felt. Gia was Gay, but wished she was straight so she could please her mother, which is sad. I think that Gia should never be forgot. A wonderful book about a true one off: Gia Marie Carangi: 1960-1986. You broke the mould, babe.

3.0 out of 5 stars Tragic, fascinating story, bad writing, 2 Mar. 1998
By A Customer
When reading this book, I found myself wanting more about Gia the girl, Gia the woman, and unfortunaltely 2/3 of the book was about events and people surrounding Gia. If you want to read alot about David Bowie mania, the ugly buisness of modeling, and the New York fashion scene in the 70's, then youlle like this book. But if you're like me and want to know more about what Gia was feeling, about her personal struggle, then don't expect to be told her story thru her eyes with this book. This book seems to detail more about the lives of others that have touched Gia's life than the details of Gia's life itself. It seems like there was so much to Gia, that the only person who could of made her story come alive is Gia herself.

5.0 out of 5 stars thing of beauty it sure was, 29 Nov. 2003
this book is excellent,very tragic and looks deep in to the world of modelling and its down falls.the author has captured gia!s life and her greatest struggles in life,to be loved,would reccomend this book to anyone,far better than the film,excellent reading,i was hooked.

4.0 out of 5 stars An excellent reason not to put your daughter on the catwalk., 3 Oct. 2003
It's unfair to criticise this book for not concentrating enough on Gia. She gave few interview and died in 1986, but Stephen Fried did speak to a lot of people in her life, such as colleages, family and school friends.
Many of us either won't or can't remember the 70s, let alone the drug-fuelled fashion world, so it was important to detail this so we can put Gia's life in context.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Demon within Gia, 28 July 1999
By A Customer
This book deserves it's 5 crowns given. I Can't help but feel sorry for Gia and the all the pain she put herself through. I Felt so sad while reading about her life. I can't understand how someone so Beautiful, someone who had everything could destroy herself and her Beauty. R.I.P Gia, You will never be forgotton! Love Helena XX

3.0 out of 5 stars An all round interesting read about Gia.., 21 Jun. 2009
A. Dickson (Edinburgh, Scotland) - See all my reviews
After reading all the reviews about the book my expectations were quite high. It was a good book & it paints a picture of Gia and the influences (good & bad) that touched her life.

What did disappoint me though was that it was more of an 'all round' account of her life, a lot of which was based on the nastiness/commercialism/superficialities of the fashion industry which undoubtedly affected her life, but it could've did with having more on Gia herself, making it more personal to her.

Especially regarding the issues of addiction & how powerful it is, for it was her self destructive/addictive personality that caused her demise and ultimately, her untimely death.

I would recommend the book though, it definetly educates you - it should be on the coffee table of every modelling agency in Britain and beyond.

5.0 out of 5 stars WICKED BOOK, 1 Mar. 1999
By A Customer
I really enjoyed this book. It was really good. I enjoyed the movie as well. Although the movie was almost nothing like the book it was still good. They made a good choice picking Angelina Jolie to play Gia.

4.0 out of 5 stars A tragedy even sadder because it could've been prevented., 5 Mar. 1998
By A Customer
Fried did his homework well. The facts of Gia's life were very detailed, her life certainly was sad and tragic. It was a great book, well researched and written, but a bit on the cold, factual side when what I think we would RATHER have was a book that Gia wrote herself about her life, her feelings, her pain. However we know that is not possible as Gia was not capable of writing such a book. The tragedy of it all makes you wish you can go back in time and step in and help. Her life didn't have to go in the direction it did.

5.0 out of 5 stars amazingly sad !!!!!, 13 Mar. 2011
I could not wait to have this book and read it . When I got it I could not stop reading it, it was so fascinating and so powerfull and it leaves you with impression thhat this one life could be saved if only people were less gready and less selfish. Its such a shame that so beautiful personality had to die because noone cared really, no mother , no any of the girlfriends , nor photographers Gia was workin with ... sad story of the girl who could not find herself within herself inspite of all this big and wonderful qualities she had ;( and really good brain ! but when you lonely and have no support , no matter how smart you are , u do will die ...

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Thing of Beauty: The Tragedy of Supermodel Gia
Thing of Beauty: The Tragedy of Supermodel Gia by Stephen Fried (Mass Market Paperback - 1 Aug. 1994)