5.0 out of 5 stars We tried it today and it really does work!
The book arived today and I thought I'd give this technique a try on my almost 3 year old daughter who refused to entertain the idea of potty training.
We had nothing to lose and I'm glad we tried it because it really does work.
My daughter is very head strong and can be stubborn at the best of times. Our attempts to use the potty always ended in tantrums...
Published on 11 May 2001 by Milly Wong

3.0 out of 5 stars Good outline but don't take it too seriously
Well does it work - I used it 3 days ago to train my 26 month old daughter. Day 1 we had 50% success; day 2 30% and today we hit the jackpot at 100%.
Published on 8 Feb 2004 by Emma J Mead

5.0 out of 5 stars We tried it today and it really does work!, 11 May 2001
This review is from: Toilet Training in Less Than a Day (Mass Market Paperback)
We had nothing to lose and I'm glad we tried it because it really does work.
She started the initial training (taking the dolly to the potty) with ease. She loved it. As soon as she had taken the doll off the potty she sat down on the potty and passed urine immediately!
I gave her lots of praise and a small sweet snack and she soon caught on. She revelled in the praise, especially when we kept checking her pants to find they were still dry.
She started to become bored and frustrated at the stage of sitting still on the potty for 10 minutes as she didn't need to use it. The longest I could get her to sit for was around 1 minute. So we rejected the strict time guidelines in the book and just sat for as long as she wanted to so neither of us became frustrated. She was in control.
I don't think the method kicked in until she had her first accident though. She was playing when she wet herself and I said 'No!' sternly as the book outlines. She became upset so I sat down with her and let her know why I said 'no' and why wetting herself is not nice. She responded very well and when I said 'OK, lets practice' she responded even better. She immediately became elated and saw the potty run practice as playing a fun game. She kept saying, 'Again, again!'. She had lots of fun.
She enjoyed helping me to clean the mess and was really eager to go upstairs to find a change of underwear.
We continued the regular checks to see if she was still dry. She stayed dry for half an hour while we played upstairs and then she told me she wanted to poo-poo. So we went straight downstairs and she poo-pooed in her potty! =)
After that, everytime she wanted to urinate, she took herself to the potty, pulled her pants down and sat down to do the business all by herself!
Overall, I believe this method is excellent, as long as you take the strict guidelines such as time spent on the potty, etc with a pinch of salt.
My best advice is to use this method at your child's own pace and let them feel like they are in control. Don't be too strict, use lots of praise and if you don't like the idea of using snacks as rewards, just give the cuddles and verbal praise alone.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good outline but don't take it too seriously, 8 Feb 2004
Emma J Mead (Ilkley United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Toilet Training in Less Than a Day (Mass Market Paperback)
Did I apply it to the letter - No, it gives you a good outline in how to have a really intenstive start to potty training, and the concepts are good but I found it impossible to apply to the letter. My daughter did not respond in a text book manner, we would have had a lot of power struggles and made the experience very unpleasant for both of us if I had made her sit on the potty for the set times or not allowed her to do ANYTHING else but potty train - also some children frequency of urination means it takes longer. There is also nothing in it telling you what to do if it doesn't seem to be working (like yesterday) and in some ways it can be quite punitive for the child.
My recommendation for it is take the essence of what steps you need to get your child to learn but adopt a more positive/ less rigid approach - relax which is what we did today and long may it continue.

5.0 out of 5 stars Unbelievable! It actually works!, 19 Sep 2002
This review is from: Toilet Training in Less Than a Day (Mass Market Paperback)
I am not one to ever write reviews like this, but we were so amazed at how quickly our son conquered toilet training following the advice given in this book. It may be emotionally draining at times, but stick to it word for word and turn what could have been a long and painful process into a much shorter and overwhelmingly satisfying experience for both parent and child. We have only had 1 accident in a week of starting. Buy it, stick to what it tells you and you will see for yourself.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not a Panacea, 30 Jun 1998
This review is from: Toilet Training in Less Than a Day (Mass Market Paperback)
This is a well-written concise complete guide to using conditioning to teach your toddler how to toilet him/herself.
Be aware of the authors' definition of "trained". They consider the child "trained" when he has, one time, walked to the potty unprompted and urinated or defecated there (proving that he has gotten the concept). If you were expecting a magic switch which would convert your child in three hours from diapers to totally accidentless underpants, think again.
This method requires tireless, complete singlemindedness on the part of the parent or trainer for "as long as it takes". The authors aren't kidding about turning off your phone, farming out your other kids, and generally becoming a hermit for the duration. Don't expect to do ANYTHING and I mean ANYTHING else. Even trying to thoroughly clean up any accidents the child has may interfere with the training. Don't do as I did and expect a single day to be enough. Have the calendar ENTIRELY clear for at least two days.
If you have a generally compliant child, this method is likely to work very well for you. If you have an independent, spunky, or spirited child, this like everything else will take more work on your part. The authors' suggestions are not worse than any other ideas on potty training; just don't expect the rosy scenario they paint in the book. They gloss lightly over a few things, such as tantrums: "Don't allow your child's tantrum to interrupt the instruction." While theoretically possible, this requires more energy than that little sentence implies!
In my opinion the authors' best contributions to the process are: (1) emphasis is on dry pants rather than on "producing" something in the potty, and (2) while you're teaching, teach the child the ENTIRE process including emptying the potty into the toilet, flushing, and generally cleaning up after himself.

5.0 out of 5 stars Worked for me, despite my doubts, 26 Feb 1999
This review is from: Toilet Training in Less Than a Day (Mass Market Paperback)
I had seen this book when I was in the process of toilet-training my first daughter. At that point, my daughter never got junk food of any kind, and I recoiled at the idea of having the learning process attached to food. However, what ensued was that for the next 6-7 months I was living with accidents to which I was more or less prepared to respond in a non-angry tone. In other words, I simply blew it sometimes since I had an infant in arms at that point. I determined that THAT method (inconsistent response style) was probably far more traumatic to a child than a one day attempt using this method. So, with daughter number two I decided to give it a try. I waited till she was exactly 26 months, but I think I caught her on a good day when I gave her the readiness test, because she can be rather stubborn. Hence, it took most of the day to get her trained. The most difficult aspect for me was getting her to drink enough to have some early successes. However, she quickly caught on to the concept of wet pants not being much fun and once she had an accident or two, things moved on quite quickly. Just as the book recommends, I phased out the treats by the end of the first day, so she does not ask me for candy each time. The only aspect that I find didn't stick too well was not wanting applause for her handywork. She insists on me coming to see it before she dumps it. But, she is EXCEEDINGLY proud of herself and within days of this training she was suddenly speaking in full sentences and progressing in many other ways. I don't pretend that there were no tantrums and no times when I doubted my choice- particularly the diaper checks after an accident when she was already crying anyway. I see how I might soften some things now that I have seen it work. However, the best thing that this method did for me was give me a formula to fall back on which prevented me from getting angry. How could you possibly get angry at your 2 year old for making mistakes the first day of training anyway? So if you can get it done, there is one less developmental hurdle that you can mess up. My daughter has had 3 accidents in the past 3 weeks- her last one over a week ago- and has not had any nighttime accidents. And, she can be successfully asked to hold her urination till we get home if she is in the car at the time. So, I would definitely recommend that if you are beginning to lose patience with your child, give this a try- but do not show ANY anger or frustration when you try this method. And DO be 100% committed time-wise for the duration. I'll admit it seems a bit surreal after you have spent 8 hours either in the kitchen or in route to the bathroom, but it was defintely worth it to me. And the basic premise of this book is all too obvious yet all too often over-looked when parenting 2 year olds- Give your 2 year old as much latitude as you can, but when you give a command, do not allow it to be ignored. It is easily within your power to physically cause your command to be followed- GENTLY. Tantrums have gone down significantly in the household since I have begun being diligent about only giving those requests that I am prepared to see through all the way. It is certainly much better than time outs or other forms of punishment. In fact, it was the lack of punishment in this process that I liked most. Yes, the practicing could seem like punishment, but it truly is practicing for the child who has not done toiletting before. Making those actions seem second nature DOES take some practice. I can certainly relate to those parents who did not do all of the reps and would never tell people to go against their feelings, but I did do all 10 reps for the 3 accidents that I dealt with. However, I cut out the wet pants checks after the first time. Best of luck to you all!

5.0 out of 5 stars Unbelievable, It Really Worked!, 14 April 1999
This review is from: Toilet Training in Less Than a Day (Mass Market Paperback)
My 2 yr 9 month son never seemed all that interested after a few abortive potty training attempts. My parents sent me this book on a Thursday, I read it on Friday, and was of course completely skeptical. Saturday was a solid downpour, so I hopped in the car and bought the materials and devoted all day to exactly the method described. Sure enough, by the end of the day, my son had both peed and poo'ed EVERY time, following the pattern described by the book almost to a T, With one exception in the four days since, has done so consistently! He's so proud! He does the whole epic, just as the book describes, from pulling on his training pants, to emptying the pot, to including washing the pot.
If you'd told me in advance, that it would work as advertised, I would NEVER have believed it.
Highly Recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Great Teaching Tool for Parents, 10 Feb 1999
This review is from: Toilet Training in Less Than a Day (Mass Market Paperback)
I was a little apprehensive about whether or not my 2 1/2 year old son could be potty trained in one day as the title states. Much to my great delight, he was done with diapers completely in one day. It took 5 hours to get him to use the toilet unprompted, unassisted and without a change of clothes(because of an accident), but well worth the time. I have another child in diapers and having the 2 1/2 yr old trained with this method has been a huge time saver. He decides when he needs to go, and he does. He does EVERYTHING himself. I didn't like the treat reward method for teaching, opting instead to teach our children why they should do what we're asking, but decided to try what they recommended. My son was much more excited about training because he knew the definite reward for certain behaviors. Also I changed the number of practices to 4 instead of 10 (on the 2nd & 3rd accidents)because of the objections, and also skipped the potty chair part altogether. Instead we installed a child seat on the toilet, and put a step-up in the bathroom, so no emptying was required. All in all a great book.

5.0 out of 5 stars It works!, 26 July 1999
This review is from: Toilet Training in Less Than a Day (Mass Market Paperback)
I read this book and used the method for both of my daughters when they were just 18 months old. IT WORKED!! IN LESS THAN A DAY!! I think I spent about 5 hours with each child. They loved it! They got wonderful treats as positive reinforcement, and spent time alone with mom. We made it a game - there were no negatives to this method in my experience. I think we had one or two accidents in the week after the training, but it was no big deal, we just practiced a few more times. I REALLY RECOMMEND THIS BOOK AND THE METHOD. Both of my sisters used this method for their kids (boys), and although it took a little longer, it worked within a couple of days. For under $5.00, what have you got to lose!

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent, well thought out approach to toilet training., 16 Jun 1999
This review is from: Toilet Training in Less Than a Day (Mass Market Paperback)
When our oldest child was about 2 1/2 I was dreading the thought of potty training. While browsing through the library, looking for ideas, I ran across this book. The title made me extremely skeptical, but after reading the book jacket, and remembering the 6-12 months of frustration and misery some of my friends went through with their kids using customary training methods, I figured I had nothing to lose. I used this method successfully with all three of my children.
For this to be a good experience for both parents and kids, it is essential that your child be "ready" (as defined in the book), both physically and developmentally. If your child does not consistently follow your directions, you need to spend time on obedience training before moving on to toilet training. The book also includes some good suggestions for that.
I challenge the assertion that this method is abusive and out-dated. Each of my kids enjoyed it because they had my undivided attention, one on one, for the entire time. When was the last time your child had your complete attention for 6-8 hours?
You must be willing to do the preparation work, and plan a day or two for training time. You must expect cooporation and obedience from your child, and be prepared to follow through and help them (consistently and gently). Being willing to commit a few days to the process of preparation and training can save you months of frustration, conflict, and changing diapers, while giving your child the pride that comes with learning a new skill, and excercising personal responsibility.

5.0 out of 5 stars I am a believer!!!!, 19 Oct 1998
This review is from: Toilet Training in Less Than a Day (Mass Market Paperback)
I had been trying to toilet train my 2 1/2 year old daughter for 6 months now and nothing worked!! I had taken advice from several people to just leave her be, she will do it when she was ready. The day she looked at me and said "Mommy, I just went pee...CHANGE ME!!" was the day I lost it.
I was very hesitant when I purchased this book but I was willing to try anything. It took me a weekend and I am proud to say that there has been only three accidents out of many potty visits. I couldn't believe it.
There were a couple of steps I left out totally. First, I looked all over town for a doll that wets itself, no luck, but since my daughter had such a great imagination, we pretended that her doll went in the potty. Secondly, my daughter would not put up with the practices when she had the accidents, (honeslty, that made me feel like I was paper training our puppy) just having me disappointed in her worked. By the end of Sunday, she was going without me even saying a word and that was with the TV on, Daddy home and baby sister screaming. I was so proud of her, but most importantly she was proud of herself. Her last words to me tonight were "Mommy, me a big girl now, huh??" Sigh....

Toilet Training in Less Than a Day
Toilet Training in Less Than a Day by Nathan H. Azrin (Mass Market Paperback - 1 Sep 1989)