Format: Mass Market Paperback|Change

on 1 August 2004
What a book. Its a keeper. The romance between Mike and Samantha is not without a few problems. Sam is in New York to look into what happened to her grandmother and to solve a mystery that is 50years old. But she has a gaurdian appionted by her late father. She has to live in his house and help with his book. Mike Taggert agreed to help his friend's daughter when the time came. But Sam was not what he was expecting. Some really funny moments and a few sad one's. One person with loads of family and the other who has none.
on 23 July 1999
As with all romance novels the plot depends on a certain suspension of disbelief, but once that transition has been made this book proves to be one of Ms Deveraux finest. Set in the present day (which is a rare time period for her to pick) it follows the life of Samantha. Opening in the days proceeding the death and burial of her father (who is also her last living relative, or so she believes) she has been forced by the terms of his will to sell the family home, and to move to New York for one year. Further, for the duration of this stay she must live in an apartment owned by one of her fathers friends (of course he just happens to be very rich, very handsome and rather wonderful!) From the moment of her arrival it is inevitable that she will fall in love with him, but the intervening time is taken up with a great and imaginative series of events, such as the ultimate make over, buying wonderful new designer wardrobe (at his expense) and discovering her grandmother - and the gangster that forced her to leave her family behind many years ago. There is so much more that occurs in the pages of this book, but to tell you would spoil the surprise! A very human and deeply gripping romance, one that I have read many times over very happily!
on 30 July 2002
This is one of the books that I've read over and over. I've always loved the Montgomerys, and I think I'm going to love the Taggerts equally as much. This story is set in modern day New York and has carefree and utterly lovable Mike Taggert wooing Sam Eliot who is grieving for her father. A couple of gangsters, a missing fortune and a beaultiful love story are blended beautifully blended in this Devereux classic.
VINE VOICEon 20 March 2009
I tend to read the more historical novels but enjoy reading about the Montgomery's and Taggarts so much I could not resist this one. I love it. The plot is interesting and the characters fantastic. Mike is adorable and Samantha arouses so much sympathy that you will her to achieve happiness.Ms Lindsay has a great gift of writing superb but very natural dialogue. This book has romance, mystery, danger and lovely lovely well written comedy. Easily recommendable
on 5 October 2000
Sweet liar is all about a lady Samnatha who is forced to live with man for 1 year under the terms of her father's will. She is also set a task of finding her grandmother with the help of this man. The characters are full of life and extemely engaging. I found it vey hard to put this book down. I highly recomened this book which is far better than others by Jude Deveraux.
on 7 June 1999
At first I thought that Sweet Liar wasn't as good as some of Jude's books, however after a couple of chapters I was hooked. It is set in the present day, however it has a strong link with the past so you still feel like you are being educated. The leading characters are fanastic and what woman wouldn't want a man like Mike! If you can get hold of this book, read it.
on 11 April 2015
This book, I read and reread again, each time with delight. Loving the characters, their interactions, the families that I discovered through it, the mood of the city. There is so much and so 'round' and after this I begun to read more of her books. The next, I loved perhaps even more is Knight in shining armour - takes us to believe and dream and feel.
on 30 June 2010
i loved this book. couldnt put it down. i have read quite a few of Jude Deveraux's books and this is one of my favourites now. the book made me laugh and cry. samantha and mike are great characters. Will be reading more of the taggarts and montgomery books hope they are as good as this one. A brilliant book.
on 10 May 2014
I have a paperback copy from the 1980's and it is still one of my favourites.
Like many stories written at that time, viewing them today the stories are dated, but if you ignore that aspect there is still a great story waiting for you.
on 27 July 2010
Like the other readers, I thoroughly enjoyed this book. It has romance, every woman's dream shopping spree, intrigue, and a great storyline. Read this book and you won't want to put it down until you're done.