Format: Mass Market Paperback|Change

on 30 May 1999
I was first drawn to Lonesome Dove because of its Pulitzer Prize winning pedigree. Having never read a western novel before I didn't know what to expect. But if want an authentic, exciting and intelligent adventure story then look no further. The journey of The Hat Creek Cattle Company is one that you just might never want to come to an end as you share the trail with Captain Woodrow Call and Gus McCrae. Lonesome Dove spawned prequels and sequels, none of which quite reach the heights of the original, not because they were inferior books, but because the first in the series is such a difficult act to follow. If you've never read a western before then try Lonesome Dove and like me you might just be in for an unexpected treat.
on 30 October 2003
i was given this book by a friend who loved it.i didn't hold much hope of getting through it, it seemed so long. but one winters day i had nothing else to read and embarked on this. it was the best book i think i have ever read, it wasn't long enough! you know the feeling when you're reading a book and you just can't wait to get back to it. I annoyed a lot of friends because i wouldn't put this book down. when i finished it i bought copies for them too, so they could understand and forgive me.this is a great book to get compleatly absorbed in. I want to go and read it again now.
on 27 March 2012
Lonesome Dove is truly just one of those novels. Yes, it's that novel you're desperately looking for every time you're after something new to read, something that will grip you, that you will live every day to read until it is done, whose characters you will WANT to be with, to KNOW how they fare. It is beautifully written, charming and wonderful, epic and adventurous; and yes, it is a western. Very few westerns are good, let alone BRILLIANT. Since reading Lonesome Dove, I have searched the entire western cannon for anything near as good, and the only other book that ever came close was Kit Cope Rides the High Country.Josey Wales: Gone To Texas & The Vengeance Trail Of Josey Wales [Two Westerns is also probably the only other western out there that will grip you as a book should. I'm not sure why, but westerns are usually low-quality. But I promise you, Lonesome Dove is considered by many to be one of the greatest novels every written, western or not. I have read it 8 times, and searched endlessly for something half as good, and the two other novels I mentioned are the only two I ever found. If you have already read Lonesome Dove, I highly recommend them, if you haven't read Lonesome Dove, READ IT NOW!!! It is a love song to beautiful writing, to wonderful plotting, to great, deep, authentic characters. Everything that is good about writing is here in abundance, IT WON THE PULITZER PRIZE AFTER ALL, AND FOR A VERY GOOD REASON! READ IT READ IT READ IT!!!
on 6 April 2016
In starting to read through a list of 100 recommended books (some of which I had already read in my first 50 years so a bit of a head start), I will be very lucky to read a better book than this ever again (and I'm struggling to think of a better book I've read before as well!). It is simply that good. I would never have chosen this (because of its Western Theme), but decided to after seeing it on the list and reading Amazon Reviews took the plunge. The author's ability to paint a canvas of characters, life and death, panoramas, morality, humanity's strength and weaknesses, commitment, love (requited and unrequited), despair, horror, humour, good and evil, and bring these to life on an epic trek across the USA from Texas to Montana is, quite simply, astonishing. I would have been happy with another 1000 pages frankly. It's probably one of only two books that has ever brought a lump to my throat towards the last few pages - and even now days later I still feel changed by it. I would urge everyone to read this book before they die - it's that good. Please do not be put off by the fact it's a Western - that's just the setting. This book is really about us as humans, the world we inhabit and the other animals and life we share it with.
I have just completed a novel of approaching 900 pages that I wished never to end. It is quite magnificent, so much so that it feels like an impertinence to offer even the most lavish praise. I'm sure that it is not only in the heat of the moment that I'd claim for it a quite remarkable power - a power to change and enhance sensibility that I can't easily find a rival to match. By turn it is intelligent, perceptive, stomach-churning, delicate, richly funny (I, too, like another reviewer found myself laughing out loud) and throughout infused with the most generous love of humanity with all its weaknesses and follies. It has a cast of sharply realised individuals with whom even amongst the most degenerate, with perhaps one exception, we can find windows into aspects of ourselves. Without doubt the best novel I have read for many a long year, indeed since "Blood Meridian" and "The Border Trilogy". A parallel study would be fascinating but not something I propose to embark on here! I have yet to see the film, but the casting sounds inspired. Blurbs deal so often in trite superlatives for the mediocre at best so it is difficult to register the full impact of something so very special. I realise I have said nothing of its contents. It seems to me too great to be pigeon-holed into a genre. The setting is vital but there is scarcely anything that does not transcend the shifting locale, richly evoked as it is. A few inadequate words that I yet hope may encourage others to read this tremendous book.
77 comments|38 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 14 April 2015
I don't think I have ever read a novel from what could loosely be described as the western genre before, but I had seen this one crop up in so many 'must read' lists, I thought I'd give it a try. I'm very glad I did.
It is a sweeping, almost elegiac story, almost a summation of the American west in its later days. At heart, quite a simple story, with a handful of main characters, it tells of one man's obsessive nature, and the effect it has on those around him. There is no glory, no glamour, only the real hardship of life in much of America at the time. There are no real heroes, only the honesty of a world where life was short, and often brutal, especially if you were female.
The story unfolds slowly throughout, and sometimes the parts that other authors might have built up into full action sequences occupy less space than a description of a sandstorm. But for me, this is why the book works. Life in the 'old west' was a bit like war - long periods of utter boredom, occasionally interrupted by brief episodes of horrific violence. The world of John Wayne, this is not; thankfully.
The only concern I have now, is that having read this book, are there any other books in the genre worth reading?
on 23 February 2014
I first read a borrowed copy of ' Lonesome Dove'. I did not know that I would like the western genre, but I did. I had to buy my own copy.because I need to own one! It is possibly the best yarn I ever read - terrific characters with terrific names (Pea Eye, Gus, Dish, Lorena ...) and a huge long cattle drive from the Rio Grande to Montana. I learned more about USA geography than I had eve known by following each river crossing on a map. And what river crossings! Several days to get the enormous herd across. I never realised how puny the representation of cattle drives was in films until I read this book. Different tribes of Indians with different ways of life in different geographic areas - I learned this too. The whole book is seasoned with romance, friendship, danger, camp meals and camp fires and told using a whole new cowboy vocabulary. Absolutely wonderful entertainment.
on 8 August 2015
"We don't rent pigs."

So says the Hat Creek Cattle Company's sign, but it's about the only thing they don't do.

This is a brilliant, sprawling epic whose plot revolves around a cattle drive from Texas to Montana. The book's heart, though, is the relationship between Call and Gus, two ex-Texas Rangers who are like chalk and cheese, and are both brilliantly drawn. Call is the epitome of the strong, silent type. Gus is more easy going, yet he proves his strength time and again, the first occasion being a real eye opener. The characters around them are equally well-written, and my heart was in my mouth worrying for them as they struggled through sandstorms, flooding rivers and stampedes.

Lonesome Dove is in many ways a quest novel, and as in any fantasy quest, there are a host of villains - but these ones are more villainous, and infinitely more scary. The fantasy story you could perhaps compare it to most is Lord of the Rings, but Lonesome Dove is better, with more likeable characters and a slicker writing style that carries the reader through chapter after chapter long after it was time to turn the light out and get some sleep.
on 10 February 2010
This review is from: Lonesome Dove (Mass Market Paperback)
I just reread this book again and was reminded how truly wonderful it is. I originally read it years ago and if anything enjoyed it more this time. I don't read many westerns, but this is truly something more. A book all Americans should read. For a great eread set in the modern American west do try "Across the High Lonesome," a book I picked up after seeing it recommended by Mr. McMurtry.