5.0 out of 5 stars Saved my life, 11 Feb 2008
Laura De Giorgio "hypnotherapist" (Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Urban Shaman (Paperback)
I have to give this book five stars because not only is it loaded with down to earth practical exercises but because it had one bit about "instant healing", which I have labelled "it never happened" technique and which came very hand when half of my face became paralyzed and when doctors told me that I'll just have to accept it and that it may even get worse over time. The paralysis was bad enough that I couldn't even speak coherently (I'd have to hold my lips with my hand in order to make an understandable sound), nor could I eat properly due to lack of sensation and because I couldn't move the muscles of my mouth. It was simply unacceptable to me to live like that, so I remember the technique from this book. I also got Serge Kahili King's video "Instant Healing".

I have adapted that "it never happened" techniques with NLP Time-Line technique and spend few days running the new pattern in my mind re-living my life from before the event until the present moment as if my face was always normal and it never became paralyzed. It was not INSTANT healing - but it took ONLY FEW DAYS for my face to become completely normal and to function perfectly. My friend said that that he was utterly amazed as he watched the transformation on my face returning to normal - he said it was just like witnessing a miracle. Yeah, our minds are truly miraculous.

This book contains many wonderful tips and techniques that will help you to use the power of your mind to help yourself and others.

4.0 out of 5 stars The world is what you think it is, 7 Aug 2009
L. Power "nlp trainer" (San Francisco) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Urban Shaman (Paperback)
The author is a shaman and huna philosopher.

Huna is an ancient philosophy going back 2,000 years, and contains many self realization techniques, including the unification of the three selves, removing emotional blocks and fears, and manifesting your goals. There is also an energy practice which uses the power of focus.

This book goes through the 7 rules of the Huna Philosophy, aka The Shamanic Principles, explaining them in some detail. It is an ancient belief system, and also an amazing self improvement system which I wholeheartedly recommend.

The world is what you think it is i.e there is no reality only perception. There are no limits. Energy flows where attention goes are three of the rules.

There are many self help books out there which focus on individual concepts, which seem new, yet are all contained within this philosophy, which is over 2,000 years old. I am thinking of books such as the Power of Intention, and the Power of Now, Unlimited power.

In addition the concepts of the conscious, subconscious, and superconscious or universal mind, have been around for thousands of years, yet only since the early 1900s with the writings of those such as Carl Jung have these ideas become more widely accepted.

This philosophy does enable you to combine your three selves, and clear emotional blocks and limiting beliefs for improved effectiveness.

There are excellent healing practices and visualizations within this book. Many of our illnesses spring from our unresolved emotions, whereas much of western medicine treats the symptom not the cause. I believe energy practice is very important for focus, as energy flows where attention goes.

Many other philosophies share common roots with this one. One of the main differences is this a can do not a can't do philosophy. To use one of the beliefs, there are no limits. When you buy this book your journey is only beginning because you will want to learn more.

I wonder if this was helpful.

5.0 out of 5 stars Insightful application of shamanic teachings to modern life., 4 April 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: Urban Shaman (Paperback)
"Urban Shaman" is an extensive, practical, and intelligent guide to the application of Hawaiian shamanic teachings to modern life. King offers encouragement and instruction in seeing past imagined limits and using energy to heal and improve ourselves, our relationships, and the world around us.
Grounded in the seven spiritual principles of Hawaiian shamans, King's discussion outlines diverse techniques - from imagery for self-healing to divination for guidance to strategies for using mental/spiritual energy to affect physical objects. Yet there's nothing fluffy or pseudoscientific here. Everything King says about the way thoughts can affect one's psychological and physical state is substantiated by abundant evidence from the psychological and medical sciences. His stance on divination - basically, that it allows the practitioner to tap into knowledge and information that are inaccessible to the conscious mind, but cannot reveal the future as this is still open to change - is also compatible with a conservative position on metaphysical matters. Finally, everything King says about applications of shamanic techniques that go beyond the individual psyche is compatible with the knowledge we currently possess about the universe. (No, I don't mean the book contorts quantum physics to match its own assertions; it really is compatible!)
Although King's analysis is rigorous enough to be suitable for sceptics, it is not aimed at persuading readers. Rather, it offers practical suggestions whose benefits can be reaped by anyone. Belief is secondary; as the shamanic principle states, "Effectiveness is the measure of truth". I strongly recommend this book to anyone hoping to make their life and the world a little better.

5.0 out of 5 stars Review by a Trainee Shaman, 10 Oct 2010
This review is from: Urban Shaman (Paperback)
I bought this book because I often practise in an urban environment, whereas the old religions evolved in natural settings. I did find that the Hawaiian words used were confusing because they are unfamilar to me, but King does translate them.

He describes three aspects of consciousness: the 'ku' or body/mind as existing as memory, both in the body and the mind, the 'Lono', or awareness, the consciousness and the 'kane', the higher self. Everything is recorded in the 'ku' and it does not make any distinction between actual events, TV programmes, books, etc. The 'lono' is how we focus our attention on things and 'kane' is our higher purpose.

King then goes on to describe the 7 Fundamental Principles

IKE - the world is what you think it is
KALA - there are no limits
MAKIA - energy flows where attention goes
MANAWA - now is the moment of power
ALOHA - to love is to be happy with
MANA - all power comes from within
PONO - effectiveness is the measure of truth

In essence, he gives us a new way of looking at the world. It is about changing our focus from dissatisfaction and dwelling on past pain to living in the present and looking forward with optimism.

His ideas are very similar to those put forward by 'The Secret'. If we envisage a good future we can bring it about.

There is some useful information about healing. King says that all illness is caused by stress of some kind. He also has some good ways to interpret dreams.

This is only a very short description of the book, which is full of fascinating information.

I would especially recommend it to people suffering from depression or other mental or emotional problems.

It is very easy to read and de-mystifies shamanism, dispensing with old ideas of 'magic', and giving a very good pattern for living.

5.0 out of 5 stars All you need to know about everything!, 8 May 2011
M. Graham (Leeds, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Urban Shaman (Paperback)
I've read some very good books on shamanism as well as the odd stinker, but this one really does stand out as one of the very best, if not THE best, I've come across so far.

Although written from the context of the Hawaiian huna tradition, it is soon apparent that the wisdom and insight the author has to offer is truly universal.

Part of the beauty of it lies in the fact that it both explains and demonstrates the truth that, as one of the seven huna principles puts it, the source of all power lies within.

No need to attend any courses or go on any pilgrimages, no need to spend money on props and paraphernalia. If you want to explore your own spirituality and use your own innate power to commune with the hidden universe and make a positive difference to the world, this book really does tell you all you need to know in a concise, highly accessible and practical way wherever you live and whatever your circumstances.

More than just a fascinating one-off read, it's a handbook to carry through life and refer to again and again.

It's also something of a rarity these days in being a book which has sleeve quotes that don't really do it justice!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book for making a profound difference in everyday life, 26 May 2010
This review is from: Urban Shaman (Paperback)
Being new to the Huna philosophy, I found this book to be deeply interesting. It cannot be read in a matter of hours as time needs to be taken to fully absorbs it's fine aspects. The few techniques that I have put into practice are great to experience but self discipline is a definite must. I look forward to going further with the more challenging parts of everyday practice and as they say, you don't get to your destination if you aren't prepared to walk.

5.0 out of 5 stars An amazing book for spiritual development, 3 Jan 2006
Mr. C. N. Lee (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Urban Shaman (Paperback)
If you approach this book with an open mind and a desire for spiritual growth, then you will find many benefits from it. Probably the best book I own on spirituality, it has proved useful time and time again, and it has left me with a philosophy I will carry through life.
Outstanding.

5.0 out of 5 stars An inspiring book for those seeking or travelling the shaman path, 13 Jun 2013
This review is from: Urban Shaman (Paperback)
A friend bought me this book as a birthday gift, and I thoroughly enjoyed reading it. At the time I was concerned that my shaman activities were not progressing as they should, but now I feel calm, confident and filled with renewed enthusiasm about my life journey. If you are curious about what it is to be a shaman, then this is a good book to start with. It is easy to read, does not dictate a strict regime or spiritual practise, and gives you plenty to think about and explore in your own time. If you are already a practising shaman, this book serves as a useful resource for reference and alternative cultural practices.

5.0 out of 5 stars A really exciting book!, 7 Feb 2011
This review is from: Urban Shaman (Paperback)
I havent yet finished this book but I had an impulse to write a review to tell you how great it is so far. I am on page 130 and I must say Serge is a brilliant writer who explains things simply with a great consistancy and very natural flow. If you are interested in Shamanism or are thinking of becoming a Shaman this book is definately for you. I thought it sounded good and now I am glad that I purchased it as he covers dreaming, explaining how Shamans perceive dreams as being other worlds which are just as real as this one. It has alot about focus, chakra points, intuition and harmonising your body. He also talks of how stress can affect it and what you can do to alleviate this through relaxation and meditation. I really recommend it and now I am going to get back to reading it as it is an overly amazing read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Book that changes lives, 21 Mar 2008
jAzz (Lucenec, SR) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Urban Shaman (Paperback)
This book is just great. The huna philosophy with the base concept of aloha will change your point of view on life as well as anybody's around you. It goes much deeper then just healing or divination. Its the way of life and i am happy to be able to live it.
Thank you Mr. King

Urban Shaman
Urban Shaman by Serge Kahili King (Paperback - 1 Oct 1990)