on 19 March 2015
I am a massive fan of Judith McNaught and really dont have anything bad to say about the story/plotline or her abilities as a writer. In fact, I own this book in print (along with all her other books) and its one of my favourites that I have read over and over again.

However, I bought the kindle edition so I could have it available 'on the go' so to speak, and because my print version is at home on my bookshelf in another country at present. Big disappointment. Its nearly unreadable - there are typos in nearly every paragraph, the paragraphs often break mid-sentance and then the spacing between said paragraphs is so wide it makes for disjointed reading. Given that this book has been printed and sold for years with NO such errors, its amazing that the kindle version is such a shambles (to the extent that sentences do not make sense, and there are numbers instead of words in places). I may be wrong, but I also have the strangest feeling the kindle version ends prematurely and leaves out the final 'wrap up'. Which is also disappointing as the 'blurb' when I bought this said that the kindle version was released with extra scenes at the end. Not true.

I would love to have more Judith McNaught books available on kindle, but please please make sure these are correctly converted with no textual errors and in a readable format!! Its not hard!
on 1 September 1999
Okay, so I guess I'm a little biased. I've read the original version three times already and couldn't keep my hands off the new version.
In 1820 the Duke of Claymore falls for a "nobody" beautiful Whitney Stone. Realizing that her uncle is turning down every offer, he goes to her father and pays a fortune to become betrothed to her. Whitney is mortified, she's already in love with someone else. As Clayton's luck would have it, things don't work out too well with Whitney's first love and he finds Whitney in his arms.
Oh how I love this book! This book is so wonderful. The new version has several added chapters that, while charming, could have been easily left out.
on 1 March 2005
I loved this book so much... I know some people have some problems with Clayton and his treatment of Whitney, but i think it just shows his vulnerability beneath his strong facade, he is a complete dreamboat... and as for the chuckled complaint.. i thought it added to his character! i didn't find it at all wearying.. but maybe that is just me. this is a book i will always treasure, i have bought it twice now.. thanks to a very cunning thieving sister! and everytime i read it, it makes my heart explode into a million thousand pieces, It is just so beautiful, it draws me to it like a moth to a flame! i get caught every time.... please please please read it!
on 24 August 1999
Judith McNaught is one of my favorite romance writers and I was thrilled when Whitney,My Love was released in hardback. She did a wonderful job taking the story deeper and explaining the situation of other important characters. I was very enjoyable to reread a story that is so dear to my heart. I recommend this book to any romance reader that enjoys being swept away and actually feeling as if you are apart of the story that you are reading. I egerily await Ms. McNaught's next novel.
on 24 February 2005
absolutely loved it, i think ive read it nine times! (and that's not counting each time i skipped to my favourite bits!) -whitney when she spars with clayton over the dinner table!!) each time more than the last... i think i may have failed my exams because i spent all my time reading and no time whatsoever revising! i love all McNaught's Historicals, and have read every single one until my eyes wouldn't physically stay open and i realised i hadn't slept for two days!
Simply Perfect!
on 29 July 2002
"Whitney my Love" is a wonderful historical romance set in England during the Regency period. I've read many Regency romances and I've thought Georgette Heyer and Marion Chesney were the leading ladies in this genre. I must admit though that Judith McNaught's novel is just as good as their novels.
I like the style in which the author writes about the era and brings its characters fully alive and very colorful.
The main characters are Whitney Stone and Clayton Westmoreland the Duke of Claymore. Whitney is a clumsy hoyden when she is sent to Paris to learn good manners and to conquer society and to find a rich husband.She wants to show to everybody especially her childish first love that she has changed into a beautiful well mannered society lady.
Clayton Westmoreland is rich and handsome and very experienced with the ladies. She literally buys Whitney from her father who values money more than his daughter.Whitney hates him at the beginning, ignores him and fights him all the time but at the end she can't resist Clayton's charm. For Clayton Whitney is a challenge and he vows to make her fall in love with him but he falls for her nearly at the same time.
Both leading characters are very likeable and complicated. Their confrontations are very exciting and enjoyable. Judith McNaught describes the period very well and the reader can imagine being swept back in time and join the characters at their different society gatherings.
There are many Regency romances around but not all of them keep the reader turning the pages faster and faster or staying up all night. "Whitney my Love" is one of those books I will always cherish and read again and again. I recommend it to all historical romance readers.You will not be disappointed.
on 29 May 2000
I have read dozens of romantic novels, particularly Johanna Lindsey's and Judith McNaught's, and have loved most of them. This book stands out as being the very best, Clayton and Whitney are adorable. Anyone thinking of buying this book is in for a real treat, just make sure you can free up a day or two to read it, as it is un-putdownable. I am about to purchase Until You, the sequel to the above, in the hope that it will come close to matching the original.
on 7 November 2000
Once again we are transported from the mundane lives we lead into pure fanstasy. The Duke of Claymore is everything you could ask for in a hero. Whitney is a lovely heroine, this story is by far the best from Judith McNaught.
on 11 July 2015
There is probably no more crowded genre than the romance genre, and yet it is a genre containing many fine stories. There's a general convention that men shouldn't read this genre, or that women who want a 'hot' romance won't find anything amongst these pages to suit them.

This isn't always the case, and I have always been open to read any kind of genre so long as the story is good. After all, a classic is a classic, regardless of how old it is.

Whitney, My Love by Judith McNaught is a classic of the genre, but having been lent the actual paperback copy by a friend and fellow blogger, I can honestly say the book was hugely enjoyable over the course of its 700 pages.

Whitney is the kind of heroine I like. She's feisty, headstrong and knows what she wants at a time when women's thoughts were often shunted by the men around them. With Whitney in love with Paul, she is determined to marry him one day. What father wouldn't want his daughter to be happy? And yet, Whitney's want for Paul is met with incredulity at first by her father, and soon after, extreme anger.

A story that started so light and enjoyable suddenly took a turn for the extremely dark, and now the question was why her father was so insistent Whitney marry someone else?

Money. Ah, the age old crippler of those who do not have it. Marrying Whitney into money seems to be the only way to resolve the financial situation her father is in.

Poor Whitney! The father who wants his daughter to marry into money isn't a new theme, but bear in mind I have read this book after reading many others in the genre - often newer tales. I'm not saying Judith McNaught was the originator of this style of storytelling, but the facts are that she is so highly regarded in the genre, she may have come up with special story arcs and plot devices in the way that JRR Tolkien did for everyone who rote high fantasy after he released Lord of the Rings.

At this point in the story, I wasn't sure if I had warmed enough to Whitney to care. But this book is so well written, so well plotted, that I just kept going back for more.

The drama of the story picks up apace a third of the way in, and never lets up.

Clayton is introduced to Whitney by her father. Aside from Paul, the bad guys are all men in this story, and she has no care for Clayton. In fact, I found myself wishing he would meet with a horse riding accident, or even better, have the piano fall on him. No such luck.

Is he that bad? Well, no, but once Whitney's rather overbearing father introduces the two together, he goes misses from the story, and we are unsure what Whitney thinks of that. After all, her father is supposed to be a template to show her what kind of man she might wed one day. If Clayton was not in his exhalted position, would they be even having this conversation? It's likely Whitney would have been fine with marrying Paul, hopefully with her father's blessing.

There's a particular scene that I can't give away here, but it certainly puts this book on a different level - no longer a light romance with a heart, it was a brutal and shocking scene that I had to read twice and check the cover - really? Could something like this happen - yes. Should it be in a romance? Not sure.

But it is the author's right to create the story as she deems fit.

I've had some time to distance myself from the book, and make sense of certain scenes. I think that particular scene fits the story, but I may be in the minority I expect!

Of course the story can be read on its own but I suspect it is better read as part of the series (Westmorelaand) of which it is an integral part. I don't think it is fair to criticise it having not read the whole series.

On GoodReads and Amazon, I'm leaning towards five stars, but a fairer rating would be about 4.5. I'm typically harder on established authors, and friends have been saying to me for ages that 'You need to read Judith McNaught'. Having done so, I can say that this particular work is a standout in the genre, but not in the way you might think.

Not everyone will like the ending. Not everyone will like Whitney's sometimes bratty behaviour. I'll admit that the Duke came across as one dimensional sometimes. He seemed to view Whitney and women in general as property, which may fit with the period, but that doesn't mean it is right.

Overall, I loved this book and when I have caught up with other books in this genre and other genres, I'll be back into Judith's world.
on 22 August 1999
I read this book about 4 years ago and have re-read it about three times! A wonderful romance with a spirited heroine and a masterful, intelligent, and romantic hero. Judith McNaught writes beautifully, making you feel the pain and embarrashment of realizing your first love is not always the best choice. You are a silent observer of Whitney's slow maturing, of her realizing, almost after it's too late, who her true love is. It's a delightful, fast-paced ride. You won't want to put it down.