Format: Paperback|Change

on 27 May 1999
I have to admit, when I first got this book I thought, well, it's sort of small, so it must not have very much in it. Boy, was I wrong. What I found was a pretty comprehensive summary of jazz theory and how it can be applied to various situations, from the solo performer to the band. Coker is very concerned with the "education" of jazz and strives to make the reader put together pieces of the musician (thought, intellect, practice, etc.) to make a coherent whole. What I found partically helpful were the chapters on motifs, superimposition, and altered extenstions. Although this can be found in almost any good jazz book, Coker's book uses understandable charts and clear idea presentation. He helps develop ideas for motifs and how they can be modified in improv, gives good information on how polychords work and some possible superimpositions, and a great summary of what good tone extensions are for various chord types. Also, there are chapters on rhythm, partically in band settings, basic theory such as chords and scales, and ideas for transcription off records. Each chapter has practice ideas (which of course I'm way too lazy to do), and there is a big appendix at the end of all types of chord progressions to practice, or at least in my case, look at. Definitely a book to check out if other theory books don't seem to "sum it up" well.
on 13 January 2008
Being a "classical" musician, I decided that I'd like to start playing some jazz. I found this book (that had already had three 5***** ratings) and thought that this might be the one to get me on my way. I was right. This book is fairly short, however, Jerry Coker has marvellously managed to fit in all the basic principles to playing and understanding jazz music.

For £6(ish), you can't go wrong, can you?
on 5 January 2000
This is the finest general introduction to playing jazz I've ever come across. The chapters about tertian superimposition and construction of melodies are particularly helpful. Even if you've been playing jazz for some time I recommend you look these chapters over. (I also recommend--for all instrumentalists--"Pentatonic Scales for the Jazz-Rock Keyboardist" by Jeff Burns.)
on 8 September 2011
Although it's true that a book can't teach you to play Jazz - it can only help you to teach yourself - this book maust come as close as it's possible to get. It helped me enormously by allowing me to understand the principles of what I was doing. I recommend this book very highly to any aspiring Jazz musician, whatever their instrument.
on 16 June 2011
Well, another example of a book which cannot be read properly on the kindle. The musical scores in the kindle version are simply too small to read. I suspect that the original book is great but the Kindle version is simply not worth buying because you cannot read the music scores. Why do they create kindle versions of some books - if I were the author I would be so upset by the kindle version - rubbish.
on 9 January 2004
This book leads you into developing skills on the saxophone in Jazz. It's great and it gets you tuned in to what happens in Jazz... After you've read this and got used to it you'll know everything there is to know about starting the pro Jazz style and it will lead you into developing techniques of your own which are unique and use this to become the great saxophonist.
It explains the major concepts of Jazz and it's easy to learn from and although it isn't the easiest style to become good at this book makes Jazz seem like something you meet every day. This is a good one and I recommend it to all the Jazz players!
on 20 December 2009
Excellent work book to dip into and help consolidate my learning of how jaZZ fits together.
on 23 June 2016
Very informative - great on the basics and more advanced topics. A lot of useful information packed into this small book. Would recommend for budding improvisers (and a few pointers for old ones too)
on 18 August 2015
Prompt delivery, neat little book, but no time to have read it yet. Looks useful so hope to use it!
on 14 May 2015
has excellent info. in good easily read print - thanks