5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, even though it's been done before
Published on 3 Nov 1998

3.0 out of 5 stars Hardly original...
Although this reads quite well, it's quite predictable and not very original. Those who liked HH from Weber are probably going to go for this one also - the themes are somewhat similar - but they might be a bit disappointed. The one thing that's better than the Honor Harrington series is that Drake keeps his books to 500-550 pages instead of Weber's 700 and counting (with...
Published on 4 Jun 2011 by JPS

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, even though it's been done before, 3 Nov 1998
This review is from: With the Lightnings (Hardcover)
If you enjoy space opera, this book is for you. Drake writes about a group of sailors (and one civilian) trapped on a planet which changes sides in an ongoing interstellar war. They change from welcome guests, to being hunted by their former hosts. If you are a David Drake fan, you will recognize this as being very similar to the situation in THE FORLORN HOPE--And you will be right. But this is not merely a rehashing of the same theme--The story is different, and very enjoyable and moving. To survive, the protagonists have to learn to depend on each other. I felt THE FORLORN HOPE was a better book, but this book is still excellent.

5.0 out of 5 stars Drake's best to date!, 29 Oct 1998
This review is from: With the Lightnings (Hardcover)
This is, in my opinion, Drake's best to date. I even likedit better than "Forlorn Hope" - which was my previous favorite. I'd give it a ten on a scale of one to ten.
I think most of you who like Drake will love this one. For those of you who aren't fans of Drake, I will say that this novel doesn't have the "dark" emotional overlay that some of his works have, in particular many of the "Hammer's Slammers" series. It is a rousing adventure with well drawn and likeable characacters.
The main characters are a naval lieutenant and an unusual librarian. One of my favorite quotes:
{Lamsoe is a Navy rating that has just been assigned to a mission with our librarian}
Lamsoe murmured, "Proud to be chosen, Mistress. There's always something happening where you are."
"It's an occupational hazard for librarians," Adele said.
I'm just hoping this will become a series!

4.0 out of 5 stars A good, fun and quick read., 1 Mar 1999
This review is from: With the Lightnings (Hardcover)
This was an excellent read. Fun, engaging and a pleasant way to spend an afternoon. The only criticism one might have is that the book would make a good start for further character and plot development with a trilogy or a series.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 13 April 2014
Great book wish I could see some of the creatures, in particular a sweep. Though I think it would be a good idea to avoid it.

2.0 out of 5 stars The story had not presented itself quickly enough, 3 Nov 2013
I lost interest after 5% read. Two many seemingly unconnected players described in depth. Is it just me? - I need to get involved, interested quickly or I loose interest as I did here. I need to see a story develop more quickly with the necessary players introduced at a more appropriate time.

4.0 out of 5 stars a good start to the series, 6 Oct 2013
DGM (THORNABY) - See all my reviews
good idea to use sailing ships and sail as the method to travel in space and the story has plenty of action and enough twists

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb, 5 Sep 2013
A very enjoyable book,well thought out look forward to reading the continuing saga of the lead characters. Give me more

4.0 out of 5 stars Light-hearted Read, 14 Mar 2013
I enjoyed this book - the plot was a little predictable but the characters were quite well drawn, especially that of Ms Mundy.

4.0 out of 5 stars A good read!, 16 Feb 2013
Mr. C. J. Murphy (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: With The Lightnings (Mass Market Paperback)
I recomend this series of books to any fan of military science fiction, such as Starship Troopers or the Lost Fleet series. This is the first in the ten strong series, and it is an excellent easy read.

4.0 out of 5 stars My new favourite author, 5 Feb 2013
I. Fenton "Felinewyvern" (Cardiff, Wales) - See all my reviews
I love military Science Fiction and have read collaborations by this author in the past so decided to try one by him alone. I was very pleased with my decision as this turned out to be an action packed adventure with wonderful characters. I am about to read the next book about Daniel Leary who is now one of my favourite space men.

ARRAY(0xa9df9378)

With The Lightnings
With The Lightnings by DAVID DRAKE (Mass Market Paperback - 1 July 1999)
5.62