4.0 out of 5 stars When the penny dropped I was Gob-Smacked
I am not really a review writer. In fact this is my wife's account, but I simply had to come on to review this life changing book and encourage others to take a look.

Published 8 months ago by Nikki

3.0 out of 5 stars AVRT
Jack Tripney is a very brave man. He saw through the lie of Alcohoics Anonymous, that is that addicts are powerless to help themselves - they need help from God; that is from a twelve step programme and from an individual in that programme, who will run their life for them. And he has done something about it.
But I believe his book has two flaws. First that drinking...
Published on 28 July 2005 by MR MM WILSON

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars When the penny dropped I was Gob-Smacked, 8 Aug. 2014
This review is from: Rational Recovery: The New Cure for Substance Addiction (Paperback)

You will notice I have given it 4 out of 5 stars. The only reason for this is because I felt a certain portion of the book spent a little too long proving A.A wrong. I can see another reviewer give the book 1 star for this reason, which in fairness is a little silly and knee-jerk. It reeks of an A.A attendee who will neither hear nor tell of any method outside of A.A. Lets be honest and fair about these things folks. We all want abstinence at the end of the day. Don't bash this book because you're grown to the A.A hip. That just reinforces the author's opinion of the hold A.A has on it's members.

I can see where the author is coming from because of the negative global impact A.A has had on recovery, but I feel that anybody who "gets" the AVRT technique will automatically realize why A.A works for only a small percentage of it's members and it really does push people back into relapse. It's an understandably sore point for the author who genuinely wants the world to wake up and consider options away from A.A that actually work.

A social worker and colleague of mine recommended the book when I spoke to him about having created a problem drinking addiction for myself. Bear in mind, he wasn't a social worker working for me, but merely a friend. I am what people would describe a functioning professional addict who works Monday to Friday, but binge drank on weekends.

Due to the mass media, medical and legal push that A.A have on the world, I believed I probably had an incurable disease, thought I was crazy and I would never get out of the drink, abstain, relapse cycle. As I had succumb to the common misconception that alcohol is a disease I would be unable to shake, that gave me a wonderful and convenient reason to relapse. I am no different to someone suffering from Cancer, and Cancer sufferers feel pain, therefore any cravings I get are no different to the pain symptoms those with Cancer get.

After 50 pages of Rational Recovery I knew I would never drink again, and I would never change my mind on it. I knew I would never have to attend a support group, because the technique I learnt was now inside of me. The technique is all the support you need. It also works for any substance abuse, and my wife has now started to use it successfully for comfort eating. Incredible.

I am not going to spend the time explaining it. There are free, online resources where you can do a "Crash Course" in the AVRT technique. A quick google search will bring up the rational dot org page.

If you're reading this review, go take the time to check out the crash course. It will take you 20 minutes, it's free and it is the core of this book. Low star reviews can really throw someone into doubt, and I do not think any low-star reviews on this book come even close to a fair assessment.

I'm shocked at how easy it is and I am blown away at what the future now holds for me

4.0 out of 5 stars See the wood for the trees, 19 Sept. 2008
It's a great shame that many of the negative reviews of this book are centered around Jack Trimpey's criticism of Alcoholics Anonymous, as this muddies the waters around what is otherwise a shining light in the gloomy world of alcohol overuse.

Jack's theory is very simple - it puts the responsibility for tackling alcohol abuse firmly into the hands of the user, and at the same time provides a tool for addressing the underlying cause. As a side note, to suggest that this book is making money from the misery of others is to overlook the fact that the theory presented in the book is readily available on the rational recovery website.

If you are uncomfortable as a "victim" of a "disease" and feel despair that things may never change as there is nothing that one can do to help oneself, then this book and Jack's simple theory are a real beacon of hope. It worked for me, I only wish I'd found it sooner.

Go to the website, read the book, skip the criticism of AA if you like, and don't let it put you off the central message - you are not ill and your recovery is in your hands.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Brilliant Piece Of Theory!, 8 Sept. 2012
Mr. Philip Edmonds "Phil Edmonds" (Dorset, England) - See all my reviews
Having been addicted to both alcohol and drugs for 40 years, and now being 'clean' for 5 years, and working in both the drugs and mental health field what a relief to find that Jack Trimpy holds almost the same views as me! Having been coerced into the 'ordination' of the 12 Step Programme, twice by the courts, I always felt that AA was not much more that a religious cult, endeavouring to retain members by brainwashing us into believing that that we are diseased, and doomed to be in 'recovery' for the rest of our lives! I hold no religious opinions myself but do know that neither religion, nor any 'higher power' played any part in my ridding myself of my addictions. We selfishly choose to become addicts, and we do it to intoxicate ourselves, yet we blame our past, parents, environment etc. and in my view, this is not the reason that we self-intoxicate, but we do so merely because we like intoxication! Ultimately, if we wish for abstinence we need to do this by using the power of our own minds. And believe me, addicts need powerful minds to maintain their addiction, let's face it an addict will walk 20 miles, barefoot, in 10 foot of snow, and skint, to get a bag of 'gear'. That's a pretty powerful mind in my book.
Of course a 'recovering' addict needs support, and I personally support many through my work. However, the support AA gives seems to revolve around keeping you 'diseased', making moral inventories, admitting you are 'powerless' over your drink/drug, and submitting all to your God...whoever that may be. Non of this stuff is necessary, I know, because I've done it, and without all this rubbish!
Though I don't agree with everything in this book, on the whole it makes a lot of sense, and is a very interesting, and refreshing alternative to the AA culture, which in my opinion aims to keep you bogged down in addiction forever.(for both political, and financial reasons) I recommend this book to any person struggling with addiction, and looking for an alternative to AA. Also, workers in the industry, and families or friends of an addict.
I have just read the book twice, put some of its concept into my own working practices, and having some very positive results. I rest my case!
If you have any views around this subject, either one way, or another, and from whatever background, I'd love to hear from you. You can message me at edmonds122@btinternet.com
Enjoy the book!

5.0 out of 5 stars I am finally free!, 23 Jan. 2015
I have not had a drink for 3 weeks since reading this book and I am so unbelievably happy that at last I have found the answer I have been searching for. For the past 15 years I have drank far too much wine nearly every night. I have tried AA a few times. I have gone bankrupt twice and had become just so exasperated with myself for not being able to get my life in order. And now I understand why. I know I will never drink again and that is a miracle. I am not white knuckling, I don't have to go explain or make amends to anyone. I "got" it right away. I have never written a review before but am very grateful to those who did before me. I didn't even read every page just skipped through to find what I needed. Amazing! I feel free from that evil liquid at last :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Quit with the I have a disease, already!, 19 Feb. 1999
By A Customer
I spent three years of my life at horrible A.A. meetings. I hostaged my family for my new family, the one who kept telling me keep comming back, it works. The only thing that it worked was me away from my husband and my children. A.A. is a cult, flat out. I still drank, but at least had someplace where people understood and loved me anyway. What a load of rot! Thank God for Jack Trimpey. He brought me back to my family and to my God given ability to overcome anything. After reading the book, the Cure, I knew that all of this powerlessness stuff was trumped up in order for the A.A. group to keep control of the individual. Truly there is a sickness in this country. We are all giving up control and responsibility. Read the book and wake up! Give it to anyone you know who is still caught in A.A. Better yet, buy a few and go to an A.A. meeting. Hand them out, then you will truly be doing service for your fellow man!

5.0 out of 5 stars It will all but kill off your alcohol addiction if you want to stop drinking, 1 Sept. 2011
The Addictive Voice Recognition Technique that Trimpey prescribes is simple, as a problem drinker part of you wants to drink and part of you wants to stop. In order to stop the madness he recommends permanent abstinence from alcohol which in turn separates the two sides, allowing you to see your Addictive Voice in its true light.

It's an extremely simple yet powerful technique.

The book itself is cleverly written and along with Allen Carr's Easy Way To Control Alcohol it has helped me secure 2 months abstinence by catching the addictive voice before it surfaces as urges.

5.0 out of 5 stars When all else fails, pick up this book & make your decision., 19 Mar. 1998
By A Customer
As a tried and true AA retread, I finally got disgusted enough with myself to quit drinking nearly 4.5 years ago. I thought that since I had never been hospitalized, I would go through an out-patient program. I did, but they insisted I attend AA meetings. I wasn't thrilled with this requirement, and I drew the line at having an "attendance sheet" signed, but I did go to the meetings. I think that I was so thoroughly committed to not drinking, it almost didn't matter where I went, or what the philosophy was, but after a couple of years, the AA dogma was wearing thin. I picked up Jack Trimpey's book "Rational Recovery", and it spoke volumes to me. No more of the disease, powerless, meetings till you die propaganda. This is replaced by understanding the Beast will likely always want you to "join the party, and have a drink", while the person who runs the show has made other plans. I am so glad that there is an alternative, proactive, healthy and responsible way of dealing with alcohol dependance. Thank you Jack Trimpey for having the courage to say so.

4.0 out of 5 stars rational recovery speaks volumes, 18 May 1999
By A Customer
I am a problem drinker.I am not an alcoholic.I have never believed in the disease model of addiction. I was on my way to an AA meeting and found Rational Recovery's website instead. Thank god! The book helped me understand that I like the high I get from drinking, but it is'nt good for me so I must stop. I was reassured that the alcohol was the major cause of my depression and that I was'nt drinking to self medicate. I was in a cycle of depression(shame, self loathing,embarrasment)that was caused by drinking. I learned to hear my addictive voice, the voice I hear in my head that says I deserve a drink for being good,bad,happy,sad, abused,ignored, harrassed etc. I learned to recognise the excuses I used to drink and I thought I was smart!
I have'nt had a drink since.I am not a dry drunk. I dont need to "share". I would have given the book 5 stars, but I thought the author went on a bit too much about AA. I happen to agree with much of what he says, AA people often sound like robots, but some of my best friends are robots, so I try not to be too judgemental and Jack gets me all riled up! I recommend highly for pro-active people who dont have time to waste and want to get on with a great(sober) life!!!! This book is not a come on for Rational Recovery treatment centers.Most people can "get it" just from the book. Just like an AA meeting is good enough for some people,some others need more. I dont remember Betty Ford, Hazeltine or any of the others being free!! So why would Rational Recovery's? I also recommend Rational Recovery's book Taming The Feast Beast.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 20 July 2006
K. DAY (UK) - See all my reviews
If anyone has a drug problem , or family member with a drug problem , this is the book to have . Forget any outside help , this is the self cure . The best book I've read on curing addictions for good .

5.0 out of 5 stars YOU NEED THIS BOOK !!!!!!, 3 Jan. 2015
If your looking for addiction books then I can infer you have a problem, and if that is true YOU NEED THIS BOOK. It will completly change your view of addiction and empower you to fight that demon in a way you never thought possible. It helped me immesurably and went from using everyday for 15 years to 3 years clean. I wish you all the luck and strength in the world. Seriously try out crystals aswell, as a man I thought that was all nonesence, but they really do work :)

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Rational Recovery: The New Cure for Substance Addiction
Rational Recovery: The New Cure for Substance Addiction by Jack Trimpey (Paperback - 1 Nov. 1996)