on 31 August 2002
This book is totally brilliant. I first found it the local library and have since bought my own copy. My 21 month old daughter loves the book and, at times, drives us mad by the number of times she insists on having it read to her.
The idea is to learn counting by using dogs (and one cat) and the different way they bark. The idea is simple and well thought through. The illustrations are great.
Buy this book, let your hair down and bark your way through to the ten dogs (and one cat)
on 28 October 1998
I have met a one year old yet who doesn't pick this book as his/her favorite. I do day care, so I've seen a whole bunch of toddlers enjoy this book literally to pieces! If you only get one counting book for your very young child, buy this one.
on 20 August 1999
We got this book for our 4 month old daughter and now, at 5 months, she starts kicking excitedly when she sees the book at bedtime. Our two dogs join in for the moonlit howl and I noticed the other day that my husband doesn't look at the book anymore when he is reciting it! "Book Time"is their time, but I can't help peeking in to see the smiles on my daughter's face when my husband reads her this book!
on 2 December 1998
My one year old daughter has loved this book for 6 months. It is wonderfully sturdy, and is only just showing signs of wear and tear after excessive 'toddler page turning'. The sounds the dogs make are her favourite part, especially the last page where all 9 dogs howl at the moon. She and her grandfather both put their heads back and join in. For any child who loves animals this book is a sure fire winner.
on 29 November 1997
My daughter loves to hear me read this book and I love to read it. It's a counting book that has ten different doggies with different barks. My daughter's favorite is doggie number three. He says ...nnn...nnn...nnn... We both die laughing every time we read it and we read it a lot. She is 20 months and I am 34.
on 22 May 1998
My 16 month old daughter especially likes the nine dogs on a moonlight night: Aaaooooo! Recently we went to Zion Natioal Park and they had a stuffed coyote in a howling positon in the museum at the visitors center. She kept returning to the display case so we could all say "Aaaooooo!" like in Doggies.
on 11 July 1998
What a great time I have had reading this to my daughter! My husband and I enjoy re-creating all the doggie sound-effects, and Kimberly enjoys listening to us. This is a good one!
on 24 August 1999
Sandra Boynton's books are great for little kids and also for adults because they are humorous and easy to read. Other childrens books are tedious to read and don't make any sense, these books have real creativity that even makes adults smile.
on 7 April 1999
Gotta love this book! Some friends (without children) have done the dogs so well that my dog gets up to see the book too. I'm so glad she made the book longer, as the original only went to 8. We love the howls at 9 and the CAT! at the end.
on 17 August 2013
We bought this for my Gran at Christmas as a reminder of how she used to read it to us. Slightly tattered condition but readable and still able to have a good laugh with it.

(Barking like a dog is a must!)