5.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining
Published on 18 Aug 2001

2.0 out of 5 stars Been there, read that Melodrama
I used to be a die hard Lackey fan. FIREROSE taught me that Lackey must be overworked. I just cannot believe how a talented writer as Ms.Lackey can turn out such melodramtic drivel as THE FIREROSE. Predictable characters such as the noble and virtuous but poor as a church mouse Miss Rose...how trite! Was anyone really surprised by the turn of events? Beauty meets Beast...
Published on 4 Feb 1997

5.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining, 18 Aug 2001
By A Customer
I found this book an enjoyable escape. It didn't make you think, but then it wasn't supposed to. I found Rosalind an strong character with whom I could relate. She wasn't stunningly attractive (and how many of us mere mortals are), but she was intelligent, creative and caring. She learns Jason Camerons terrible secret and still stands by him. A strong thread from Beauty and the Beast runs throughout this story, but then again it was always one of my favourite fairy tales.

4.0 out of 5 stars extremely readable, though predictable, 6 Sep 1998
By A Customer
Misty's descriptions and details of life in the 1900s, as well as her vivid portrayal of the protagonists, are extremely detailed and makes this book an enjoyable read. This is a typical "beauty and the beast" type of book, mixed with Gothic romance and a touch of fantasy. Rosalind Hawkins charms us with her incredible strength of character and spunk - a sterotypical Misty female protagonist. However, the villians, Du Mond and Beltaire, are a bit too blantantly portrayed. I would prefer a bit more subtlety, and maybe endow them with a few redeeming qualities so they would not be just some other "cardboard" villians. The ideas of magicks, the salamanders and the elements were rather innovative and original. This book, despite its smooth plot and well-defined characters, does not make you think, and thus is rather shallow. It's readability, the moving tribute it is to the qualities of love, and the characters whom you can sympathize with, though, make it well worth your read.

5.0 out of 5 stars I LOVE IT!, 16 May 1999
By A Customer
This is my all time favourite book. ive read it about 3 or 4 times (and im gonna again). i like it cause its not that far fetched but its not totally down to earth either....its kind of a balance between the two.....i really have no complaints about this book..but good scenes..very good description..characters had flaws which is VERY good...overall VERY good book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Read it again...and again...and again..., 30 Jun 1998
By A Customer
I can't even count the number of times I have read this book. I'm a big fan of Beauty and the Beast and have read lots of retellings, including both of Robin McKinley's. Though I prefer McKinley's Beauty to Fire Rose, Fire Rose is still up there on my list of favorite books ever. In fact, reading McKinley's Rose Daughter almost felt like rereading this book. Though it's not a book to make you think too much, it's certainly enjoyable and a great diversion when you need a quick pick-me-up.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful twist on a classic, 29 Mar 2011
I cannot get enough of Mercedes Lackey's writing, I really can't! The Elemental Masters series give a delightful twist on classic fairy stories. In the case of "The Fire Rose", it's quite obvious which fairy tale Lackey is playing with. Having said that, it is the only thing 'obvious' about the story. The characters are engaging and fascinating, the hints of 'real' history believable and only serving to pull the reader further into the world.

Of all of this series, I would have to say that so far "The Fire Rose" is my firm favourite, and I can read and re-read it time and time again.

For those who like a non-trite romance with a familiar fantasy edge, I highly recommend this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars great book! go out and buy it if you haven't already!, 15 Dec 1997
By A Customer
This is, in my opinion, one of the best of Ms. Lackey's latest works, and in fact, for pure readability might even rival some of her earlier books. I have reread it several times since I bought it...the first time I read it I couldn't put it down. Even though the plot is a little predictable, being based on a fairy tale, she manages to produce believable characters one can sympathise with, which is the most wonderful aspect of this book. Go out and buy it if you haven't already!

4.0 out of 5 stars THE FIRE ROSE, 1 Mar 2014
I HAVE ENJOYED ALL OF Ms LACKEY TITLES IN THIS SERIES AS WELL AS THE BARDIC VOICES SERIES WELL DONE!

1.0 out of 5 stars Hated the ending, 8 Dec 2013
I was thoroughly enjoying this book BUT the ending ruined it. Spoiler alert!! The main thing about fairy story adaptions is that they are SUPPOSED TO HAVE HAPPY ENDINGS! And I'm sorry but a beauty and the beast re-telling in which the hero, who is a perfectly adequate hero btw, REMAINS a beast, a wolf, does not in my opinion classify as a happy ending. The heroine supposedly finds him extremely handsome when the author has been at pains to describe his fangs and hairy paws and even he thinks how he is like a huge alsatian! What the heck is Lackeys playing at? And how come her readers instead of marching in the streets over this ending, have posted such glowing reviews thereby deluding innocent fans of this genre into ordering this frustrating story, spending two days happily reading it only to start having a growing suspicion that the hero was NOT going to change back into human, brushing aside that suspicion only to realise dully at the end with a sickening thud that she has indeed left the hero as A WOLF!! WHO EATS RAW MEAT, WHO LOOKS TERRIFYING AND HAS HUGE FANGS STICKING OUT!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars font size, 11 Oct 2013
look at this in waterstone the story seem ok but it seem badly printed as the the word are so small that it seem to be blurry or it could be the style (they fit too much on one page) so decide to get it on kindle and blow it up to get a good read

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 29 May 2007
R. A. Stephenson (Lancashire, England) - See all my reviews
An adaptation of 'Beauty and the Beast,' but given the Mercedes Lackey treatment. I expected a 'happy ever after' ending, from the original story, but there were many unexpected twists in the tale, and I stayed up half the night to finish it (as I quite frequently do with Misty's books)!

The Fire Rose (The Elemental Masters)
The Fire Rose (The Elemental Masters) by Mercedes Lackey (Hardcover - July 2001)
Used & New from: 15.95