Shop now Shop now  Up to 50% Off Fashion  Shop all Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Listen with Prime Shop now Shop now

on 5 April 2010
I've owned this book for some years now. I have a smallholding and produce milk, meat and eggs, plus fruit and veg, for my own use. Producing anything is a waste of effort if you cannot preserve the surplus. This single book tells you how do do just that whether making jams, chutneys and pickles, or making cheese, wine, smoking bacon and much much more besides.It's the *one* book I recommend to anyone who mentions wanting to produce their own food. Worth every penny.
on 14 December 2009
I must say that I love this book. It gives instructions for making all types of preserves from Jams and chutneys to smoked meats, cheese and loads more in between. This is the type of thing your great grandmother or grandmother would have done many years ago.

Personally, I bought this book as I was in a nostalgic mood. I have so far made some of the breads and also the hedgegrow jam, all turned out delicious. I plan on making the sausages next.

From using this book, I have learnt the pleasures to be had from making something yourself in batch and either sharing it with family and friends or walking past an almost identical (and often much more expensive) supermarket variety and thinking "i've just made that for half the price." Its a very self satisfying feeling, something that everybody should have.

I also recommend this book to mums, dads, grandparents etc, who want to introduce the children in their lives to good quality, home made produce that is not full of the nasties that often accompany supermarket foods. This is a great way to show children that you don't just take the car to the supermarket to get food, there's a whole different process behind food production.
on 31 January 2011
My sister has the original hard backed version of this book. It,s a gold mine of kitchen skills soon to be lost-I'm afraid. How to Cut meat up properly, making wine, filleting fish. I was so happy that I managed to get a re-vamped paperback copy to add to my many cook books and I use it as a reference book whenever I'm stuck. By the way it's not all about the above there are tons of recipes in it too. Anyway enough of that, it arrived in a timely fashion and well packaged.
on 15 June 2014
I thought this was a standard recipe book. it is actually a book that teaches you many methods of making preserves and all the things people had to make before they could be bought (and many other things lost to most of us). If you have access to country meats, fruit and vegetables this is a great book.
on 6 March 2015
Great book!!! I also recommend her book 'The Paupers Cook Book' Love these!!!