on 2 November 2007
As a fan of World of Warcraft, I decided to read some of the Warcraft novels to learn some of the background story and lore.

This book was an excellent read! It tells the story of Medivh and the creation of the dark portal from the view of Khadgar, who becomes his apprentice. It shows the gradual decline of Medivh, under Sargeras's malignant domination, until he eventually goes insane.

From a WoW fan's perspective, it's nice to learn about the "Karazhan" instance, and get a glimpse into the background of some of the characters you meet within it's walls. Moroes the Butler is introduced, Nelias Aran is briefly mentioned (as Medivh's father - turns out that although he is incredible powerful, he's a bit of a "himbo"), the Violet Eye and Kirin Tor are present, and there's even clues to be found as to why Illhoof is located in the instance where he is.

All in all, I am very glad I read the book, and can recommend it to fans of the Warcraft world.

Dale
on 30 May 2008
The book was very interesting especially after running Karazhan in World of Warcraft, you learn lots about the history of the tower and those who inhabited it. There is loads of background lore on: Medivh, Sargeras, The Guardians of Tirisfal, Khadgar, Garona, Moroes, The Violet Eye and the Kirin Tor + more!
A great read!
on 13 January 2014
The Last Guardian was a very anticipating read for me, Medivh is an iconic character and it very enigmatic and eccentric, i've always wanted to read up on his character and this book gave me the chance to. Sadly this book did disappoint me a little, though it was a great read, i felt a lot of it covered other characters, this novel is essentially the closest you will get to a warcraft 1 novel which is a good thing and despite seeing less of medivh than expected, it gave me a good insight on azeroth in it's early days and some background behind Warcraft: Orcs And Humans.

The main issue i had was the lack of development towards medivh's insanity, it felt very abrupt and was lacking in consistency, for the most part medivh only has a few outbursts (i only counted two for the whole book) which readers could easily be misinterpreted, thinking that he is just very sharp spoken rather than having multiple personalities. in fact he only has one personality and that is of an eccentric hermit with high intellect with a loner complex. I wish that they explored more of Medivh's alter ego but the book doesn't until the very end.

I also felth that a lot of the book took place in areas outside of Karazhan, Medivh's home, i think if the book was set wholly in karazhan it would have made for a more interesting novel.

The book does describe the surroundings well however and the other characters are likeable, Medivh is still a great character all round but he just didn't receive enough attention. Sadly most of the attention is driven towards Khadgar who is an excellent character in the Warcraft series, though i do like how Aaron Rosenberg portrays him more with his witty personality, He is still a great character in The Last Guardian. Others such as Lothar and Garona appear also and they are ok.

Overall i think The Last Guardian is rather lacking in the characters but in terms of the descriptions, it is rather deep, you will easily be able to portray an image of Karazhan after reading this book. I would personally reccommend it as though it's characters (besides khadgar) aren't really fleshed out, the descriptive writing is excellent, i'd personally love it if jeff grubb would do Kel'thuzad's back story, especially so that he could write an in depth description of Naxxramas.
on 17 February 2013
A good insight into the guardian. A must for wow fans everywhere. An epic tale of magic and power. Karazan
on 24 August 2013
It was a book I couldn't put down. I have the physical copy and the digital copy as I enjoyed it that much. I would recommend this book to any seasoned warcraft player as it explains a lot and leaves you wanting more.
on 23 February 2011
I play World Of Warcraft and im learn game designing as soon as i found out i need to no the lore of wow to work there i bought all of the book this was the first that i got and as soon as i finished it i was amazed i could not believe what i had learnt now everthing makes sence, if you want to read up on wow lore read this it will blow ur mind...
on 4 January 2015
I bought this for my 17 year old son and 14 year old daughter who are big WOW players, my 30 year old son who is also a WOW gamer looked it as well. I am buying them in order of the game which I found online but I'm not sure if this is necessary or not.
on 21 October 2015
This book is great for lore lovers! It makes you experience the pain of the charaters as well as there struggles. Couldn't stop readig would defo recommend to any wow player.
on 17 January 2014
Of all the Warcraft books I have read this is the one I have liked best. Good story, interesting characters and a good grasp of the Warcraft world. Real page turner.
on 10 September 2012
I'm in the process of reading all of the Warcraft books and once again I am thrilled by the story. Recommended to any World Of Warcraft lore fan!