Format: Paperback|Change

on 3 May 2002
Although this book isn't as well known or highly regarded as Bester's earlier works, I enjoyed it every bit as much. It was originally published in the UK as 'Extro'.
Much of Alfred Bester's fiction has a strong undercurrent of humour and this is probably the funniest of his novels. The group of immortals around whom the action takes place are a hugely disparate and eccentric collection of individuals, allowing Bester to set up a few thoroughly ludicrous scenes. In this book being immortal isn't all positive, though: you can only become immortal in the first place by surviving massive trauma, and even immortals have something to be afraid of...
For me, the most enjoyable thing about Bester's stories, short and long, is the way he throws ideas around and the speed with which those ideas develop. 'The Computer Connection' is full of ideas and romps along at a terrific pace. Enjoy!
on 26 September 2012
I didn't realise when I bought this that I had read it as Extro about 30 years ago! I don't keep books and I have really enjoyed reading it again. You need to have a mind that can side-slip to keep up with Bester but what an astounding use of words and ideas (many of which slip in and out of the book as incidental lines or paragraphs). I am going to have to track down his other writings for a re-read now. Now where is "The Demolished Man" . . . . .