Format: Paperback|Change

on 30 January 2001
I bought this book after seeing Iyanla Vanzant on the Oprah Winfrey and she writes as articulately and wisely as she speaks. This book contains 365 pages of "thoughts" or devotions - one for every day of the year and each month focuses on a different theme including life, happiness, faith and love. The aim is to read the thought for that day and think over and put into action its message. I'd recommend trying to read it daily but the book is also worthwhile as a source of inspirational writings to dip into and enjoy. I have enjoyed reading the book so far but have found it a little more advanced than I had thought it would be. Iyanla does focus a great deal on "spirit" especially in the first month of thoughts. However, she does so without restricting it to any one religion so the reader can bring their own concept of spirit to the book. This is one I think I'll be going back to and rereading time and again as I have got so much out of what she has to say.
on 8 October 2002
This is not a life changing book. Nor does it make you any promises it can't deliver. What it does do, is give you page after page of enlightening text that lifts your spirits and makes you realise that life is simply for living and that we only get one shot at it. In short, it helps you to gain a perspective, particularly if you are feeling down after a bad day. Although it does refer to 'God', I think this book appeals to anyone trying to make themselves feel or be a better person, regardless of their religion and beleifs.
I keep this book by my bed and tend to read a few random pages before I go to sleep. It makes me feel happier and gives me optimism that I can make tomorrow a better day!
on 24 April 2016
This is one of my favourite books and I truly do my best to get reminded daily of the guidance available. Pretty much always am I reminded or prodded to do things differently, and see the world from a different angle. I work through this yearly with a friend which is one of the best ways to ensure that the lessons are 'got' and put into practice. I cannot recommend it enough. If I could only have 10 books on a desert island, this would be one of them. I have bought this for most of my friends and some of my clients
on 28 September 2005
This book is so inspirational. It has helped me on a daily basis to look at myself and the world through objective eyes. If you are seeking to develop yourself and become more acquainted with your inner being then this is definately the book for you
on 19 February 2014
I have most of Iyanla's books but for some reason I don't own a copy of this one. I thought I would buy my daughter a grown up book now she has turned 20 and wanted something she could refer to now and again and this seemed to fit the bill.She carries it with her daily for inspiration.
on 18 September 2014
This is a wonderful book for anyone that likes daily inspirational readers. Each month has a theme and each day has a quote, story/reflection that fills the whole page and at the end a little summary ending in Until today ....... Iyanla has so many books but this daily reader is the best. It has so much packed into it. Full of wisdom and full of reference to recovery too which is very useful for anyone in an addiction recovery programme. I love her style and sometimes she does seem repetative but I think that is just her way to hit home with the message. All her messages are positive and she has a no nonsense style of writing which is great. Unlike many other softer styles of writing, hers is quite "full on" and to the point. She is an ordained minister and Yoruba priestess in some of the messages she refers to the Holy Spirit but then in others she seems very much worldly. I really like her approach and attitude towards woman in general but a lot of her writings mention black woman and the struggles that they face and not suprisingly she was voted 100 of the top most influencial living people of our time.
I often find these books at charity stores and always snap them up and give them as gifts to people who may be struggling in life, the book is really worth buying if you like daily readers that are going to change your day in a positive way and help you along your spiritual path.
on 14 July 2011
a brilliant reminder and frank book on issues we all go through everyday, split into different parts to focus on. I just purchased this for my aunt but I have been reading these off and on for lat 10 years and my life is honestly better for Iyanlas insights. I am easier on myself and also realise my life will not mean anything if I do not surrender it to a higher purpose.
on 30 December 2013
Lovely to read and reflect on each day. I look forward to seeing what each reflection says. Food for thought and for my soul. Very down to earth. A book to share with family and friends. A great gift book. Then we all read from the same page!!!!
on 15 April 2014
Love this book and is placed by my bed, I either read in the morning which gives me food for thought during the day, or at night to contemplate my day. But it goes beyond just that, Lyania gets to the core of your feelings, thoughts & actions with no blame placed on anyone, it's about your own personal growth and taking responsibility.
Lyania is straight to the point wether you want to hear it or not, excellent!
on 28 July 2013
This is one of the best books I have ever read and love the way it is used on a daily basis. Every time I read it I feel as though Iyanla has looked straight into my heart and is speaking directly to me!!! I have learned so much.