5.0 out of 5 stars I HOPE YOU'RE HAPPY RICK BERMAN!!!
Published on 30 July 1999

1.0 out of 5 stars Do not read this before you see the show!!
This book seems hardly more than a transcript of the actualsaid lines. It lacks deapth of it's own and tension of it's own. It's sort of a report, not an fullgrown gripping story. Though (of course) everthing is set and ready for tension. The actions really SHOULD be a terrific read, but because of the style chosen, it is not.
I suppose that, when you read this book...
Published on 4 Aug 1999

5.0 out of 5 stars I HOPE YOU'RE HAPPY RICK BERMAN!!!, 30 July 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: Deep Space Nine: Final Episode Novelization : What You Leave Behind ("Star Trek: Deep Space Nine") (Mass Market Paperback)
It's a sad day in Star Trek when one of the two best Star Trek tv shows ends(the other best show being TOS of course). And of course, we couldn't have done it any better than the Great Screw-Up of the Galaxy...Rick Berman! I couldn't believe how little coverage DS9 got when it ended. Sure, it got some, but after it ended, poof, it's gone! Now, I'm sure when Lost In Space II(for those who don't know, I'm referring to Voyager!)ends there will be talk about it for years. Anyway, this book is excellent(especially since it wasn't written by the god-awful Daffyd ab Hugh!!!). The only scenes I didn't like were the Kira-Crazy scene(but that was made excellent with the Garak and Damar chit-chat), and the Bashir & Garak goodbye. I loved what Garak said, and the whole way he acted during the scene, but then again this ending was good also. Once again, Diane Carey proves she is one of the best Trek writers. The space battles are awesome, the character writing is fabulous. It's...it's amazing!!! Before I end, I'd like to say thank you to the First Great Bird of the Galaxy = Gene Rodenberry, and also I'd especially like to thank the Second Great Bird of the Galaxy = Ira Steven Behr, for making DS9 what it was.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Piece of DS9..., 18 July 1999
By A Customer
Ever since I first began watching DS9, I've been hooked on the action, plot twists, and most of all, the people. Except for the deranged opening with a delirious Kira, this book was fantastic! I read it after the episode and loved it. Their good-byes made me cry (even after reading it 2 times) and the memories made me smile. I would recommend this to anyone who wants to know how the DS9 story came to a bittersweet ending. Even in 20 years, I'll still be able to remember how this Trek spin-off touched my heart

5.0 out of 5 stars I've read the book now, unfortunately better than the show!, 8 Jun 1999
By A Customer
the novelization was actually better than the episode, because it tried to cover for the many many horrible plot holes by explaining wierd character shifts (specifically in Odo and the Female Founder). Also, it adds a few scenes which nicely flesh out the story, though an opening Kira-Garak-Damar scene is stupid because Kira is giggly and hallucinating and talking with a rat. Please.

5.0 out of 5 stars Oh my god, brilliant!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!, 28 Oct 1999
Claire Hennessy (Dublin, Ireland) - See all my reviews
If you're watching DS9 on Sky 1, then don't buy this yet - it's a novelisation of the last episode, a thrilling two-parter. Unlike the TNG finale, DS9 is ending with plenty of drama! As I haven't seen the episode yet I can't say whether the book is better or not, but I did enjoy the book immensely and I don't normally read ST books. The main plotline is, of course, the stand that the Allies - the Federation, Klingons and Romulans - take against the mighty Dominion forces, and when the two fleets meet there's plenty of action! Meanwhile Kira, Garak and Damar are trapped on Cardassia, and Kai Winn and Dukat are in the Fire Caves on Bajor, trying to ressurect the power of the Pah-wraiths. It finally ends with the war being won as Cardassia turns against the Dominion! But things are not going to stay as usual on DS9. Miles is going to teach at Starfleet Academy, while Worf is going to be an ambassador (yes, I can't believe it myself), Odo is leaving Kira to rejoin the Great Link, and Sisko has gone to the Prophets. Ezri and Bashir are in love, Quark is taking bets on who's going to be the new Kai (Winn has gone - oh thank GOD!!!!) and Kira is comforting a now-fatherless Jake. So everything is not OK, but they'll cope. And get the tissues out for when you're watching the episode - I guarantee you'll need them.

5.0 out of 5 stars One thing I won't miss about Deep Space Nine..., 29 Jun 1999
By A Customer
I guess I can live without the best Trek out of the four, if it means the Breen are history too. Those guys give me the creeps. Especially the way they talk. I guess I've gotten used to the basic premise of "Trek linguistics"--that aliens all talk perfect English while the humans talk funny. Like in the original series ("Keptin, another wessel ees following us.", "But Captain, me puir engines cannae take any morrrr!" as well as the Next Generation (the generic Med-basin accent of Counselor Troi, all the more charming as delivered in her warm, soft-spoken voice, and of course the resonant Shakespearean tones of Picard which match his Roman coin looks), and finally, Deep Space Nine (with a chief engineer who talks like the Irish cop on the beat and a doctor who talks like Bond...James Bond). But all the aliens--Klingon, Romulan, Cardassian, Vorta, Ferengi, Jem Hadar, the Founders--all talk like network TV news reporters. Except for the Breen--they say stuff like "rowrbazzle", "sladle-slaitch and "squarkbool"--but Damar, the Female Founder and Weyoun can understand every word. I tried to find out what they were saying by rewinding the tape and kicking in the closed captioning. Know what that says? "Electronic Speech". Gee, thanks.

1.0 out of 5 stars Do not read this before you see the show!!, 4 Aug 1999
By A Customer
I suppose that, when you read this book after you've seen the last episode on TV, you'll relive that episode while reading. And that that will fill the style gaps that are disturbing me now. But that hardly qualifies this as a good book.
And for those of you who are not familiar with the series: do not ever buy this book as a starter. You'll miss all necessary reference to even get through it.

5.0 out of 5 stars It's excellent!, 3 July 1999
By A Customer
It was an excellent book! I couldn't put it down. I finished it in a day. Then I read it again. I was disappointed when I saw the episode because the book expanded and explained more. It talked more about how the people felt before they left for the final battle, the Cardassian Resistsance, and why the Female Shapeshifter stood down. I really liked how the author described the battle scenes. I thought the ending was good too because it showed Kira watching all her firends leave. I reccomend this book to all Star Trek fans

5.0 out of 5 stars A Masterpiece, 26 May 1999
By A Customer
This novelization of the final epiode of DS9 is fantastic. The characters are represented well, and we finally see the inevitable fate of Bajor, DS9, Cardassia, and etc. It is truly a masterpiece, and I hate it that the tv series had to the end, but "all good things. . ." I believe all DS9 fans will love this novel, and perhaps even cry.

5.0 out of 5 stars Interesting, exciting book that you won't want to put down, 31 May 1999
By A Customer
I loved this book... it makes me want to see the episode even more and has really touching moments, particualry near the end. Besides a few typos and a few characterizations that may seem off (but looking back were perfectly reasonable), the story was right on and let me wanting more. It pulls you in and keeps you until the last punctuation mark.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Novelization!, 22 Mar 2003
K. Wyatt "ssintrepid" (Cape Girardeau, MO United States) - See all my reviews
A great novelization of the episode I'd dreaded all throughout the last season of Deep Space Nine. Just another example as to why they go to Diane Carey for novelizations. I don't know about everybody else, but I truly miss visiting DS9 as much or than the bridge of the Enterprise once a week. {ssintrepid}

Used & New from: 0.01