5.0 out of 5 stars Honesty
Published on 17 Aug 2000

3.0 out of 5 stars Finding the love of your life - with God's help
Having heard Iyanla Vanzant speak her writing does not bring across fully her power and passion about the subject of personal growth/self improvement with God's help.
Published on 23 Dec 1999

5.0 out of 5 stars Honesty, 17 Aug 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: In the Meantime: Finding Yourself and the Love You Want (Paperback)
I read this book when I was coming out of a long term relationship. The book's key message was to be honest. Be honest with yourself, even if it is going to reveal a side to your characetr that you would really rather not know was there, and be honest with those around you. If you are honest you can live with yourself and what is more you can make changes. It really helped me and also made me truly appreciate the goodness of the man who had just come into my life and whom I am now about to marry. If you feel that you are caught in an unhappy situation or just can't quite get things to go right, read this book it will help you change your life.

5.0 out of 5 stars You're doing it right!, 16 July 2001
By A Customer
If you've ever wondered how you got into the mess you're in - or more importantly why you're there, read this book. From a state of despair, it lifted me up, it told me I was okay and doing everything perfectly for my own divine search and path. I picked up the book by "accident" and now will never be without it - God is helping me every step of the way, he gave me this book. If you are lost, read this book. If you feel alone, read this book. If you feel like you've messed it up again, read this book. Iyanla Vanzant has a trully amazing gift, it's the gift of truth and we all have it.

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm ready for true love thaks to Iyanla, 2 April 2000
trudi_copper@hotmail.com (Staffordshire, England) - See all my reviews
I first saw Iyanla on Oprah, they were discussing the content and issues of this book. I spent an hour in tears, because I knew she was talking about me, and how I'd been living my life. I bought this book and read it, worked through a lot of painful issues, and now I know I'm a different person. Someone who no longer will be used and abused by men. This book taught me self-respect and self-love. It taught me how to stand up for what I wanted from relationships and life. Thanks to the new attitude this book taught me, I now am very much in love, in a different way than I've ever experienced before. My partner has issues from his previous realtionships, so he's reading this book too! If it helped sort me out, it'll do wonders for any normal person! Thank you Iyanla, and thank you 'In the Meantime'.

5.0 out of 5 stars makes you confront the habitual....., 28 Feb 2001
By A Customer
This is not an easy book to read...not because the contents are complicated to follow; quite the contrary. it is clearly written and easy to absorb.But what the book challenges you to do, is not easy. You must sit back, alone and re-evaluate everything you ever believed - or were led to believe - was "true" about you and your behaviour, in relationships. Whether you are alone, looking for a relationship or in one, this will make you sit up and take notice. I am in a long term relationship. I have been married to the same man for 20 years, but it's my second marriage. But after having read this book, I see my husband - and myself - in a whole, new light. Our relationship is stronger, more understanding and freer than I have ever known it. We feel liberated and as if we are starting over. By reading this book, and following through, taking the time to digest and absorb what Iyanla says, and accepting your need to change,it is possible to start life anew, with fresh ideas and a new big heart! Go for it!!

5.0 out of 5 stars The book was fantastic!, 23 Feb 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: In the Meantime (Audio Cassette)
I don't want to give the whole book away but I think every person who wants to be loved by themselves or anyone else should read this book! It has made me understand why I keep waiting for the right person to come along instead of settling for something less than I deserve! Thank-You Iyanla! I will read the rest of you books! Most of my friends are reading this book because I told them it will help them a lot! Males and females alike.

5.0 out of 5 stars Life...Make your choices and go with the flow:-), 28 Jan 2009
This book is excellent and came into my life, as suggested by a friend, at just the right time. having pined for my first love for a year after coming out of a two year relationship, splitting up with my new partner of 15months and then having a 1-night-stand with my ex-first love, I was heart broken twice over, confused, depressed and asked myself time and time again, WHY? What did I do to deserve that? The meantime gave me insight into my behaviour, which ultimately led to 2 rapidly deteriorating experiences, my self worth and how I viewed myself, and basically helped me to understand that them relationships were never going to be anything more than what they were. I accepted them for that and was able to move on, spiritually. This book was emotional for me but excellent and very spiritually uplifting, I didn't want it to end. Thank you Iyanla, amazing:-)

3.0 out of 5 stars Finding the love of your life - with God's help, 23 Dec 1999
By A Customer
The book has rather a quirky approach in that it uses the metaphor of a house/house cleaning to describe how readers might survive/grow in the Meantime i.e. in the time before you find the love of your life. This can really grate at times but perhaps that was just me own "stuff".
The books approach is almost non-denominational and is in no way fundamentalist Christian and this should encourage readers like myself who are Christian but without the dogma. In fact all faiths could easily read this book and find that the spiritual references are relevant (there are many Buddist principles also referred to).
A pretty good read with some excellent step by step insights/work to be done. Would definitely suit you if you are on a quest following a break up of a relationship or despairing of every finding "the one". Or even if you found "the one" and its not quite happening how you planned (!)

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, but not Great!, 28 Mar 2001
I feel like a traitor amongst all the people who LOVE this book, but I'm sorry I was not really one of them. It wasn't the message of the book I disliked - teaching you to learn from every relationship, to be honest with yourself and others, to learn to love yourself before you love anyone else - these are all brilliant lessons to learn, but it was the style the book was written in that I couldn't get to grips with. The whole premise of the book is that our spirtual path or evolution is like a house - a basement level, first floor, second floor etc, OK fine, but the whole home metaphor gets a bit much after a while and the telling of stories as examples of lessons she is trying to teach are a good idea, but they never really seem realistic and sometimes the story is just left without you feeling you have really come to any conclusions about it. Maybe I missed the whole point, but this book would have been so much better if its message about growth was expanded more instead of all the confusion of floors, attics, garbage, fridges etc as overused and heavy metaphors. I love Iyanla Vanzant on the Oprah show, and in fact liked the show about this very book, but somehow on the page it gets tiresome. Sorry :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Best book I ever read, 2 Feb 2007
C. Sherratt (Northamptonshire UK) - See all my reviews
I picked this book up in the hope that it would keep me occupied on holiday. It changed my life - don't be put off by the God stuff - this book will show you exactly who you are - it marks the beginning of the most exciting journey you have ventured to take.

3.0 out of 5 stars Iyanla Vanzant is a great author but very redundant., 13 Sep 1998
By A Customer
This review is from: In the Meantime (Audio Cassette)
In the Meantime is a good book if you are facing some of the adversity that life can present. She does an excellent job in covering real life issues and encouraging you to excell despite the problems.But, if you have either heard Iyanla Vanzant speak in person or if you've had the opportunity to read some of her other works please save your money! Iyanla Vanzant is very redundant after reading one book you can basically submisse what the other books are like. If you still would like to read books by Iyanla go to you local library and check it out.

In the Meantime: Finding Yourself and the Love You Want
In the Meantime: Finding Yourself and the Love You Want by Iyanla Vanzant (Paperback - Nov 1999)