5.0 out of 5 stars Here you will find lots of help...
...Traditionally, the parenting styles described in this book are not the mainstream ones we are fed by other babycare info sources. BUT THEY SHOULD BE! You have lots of choices in how to parent your baby, but unless you read books like this, you and your baby might miss out on the best choice of all. Or, like me, you might have been doing 'attachment parenting' anyway...
Published on 17 Feb 2002

2.0 out of 5 stars High on the preaching, low on practicalities
This book would make a great shower gift or source of information for those curious about what attachment parenting is. However, if you are already sold on the idea and are looking for a nitty-gritty how-to book, this is not the one. It spends most of its time justifying the methodology, and not enough time explaining how to implement it. Skip this book, for...
Published on 12 Aug 1999

5.0 out of 5 stars The best parenting book I've ever read, 27 July 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: Attachment Parenting : Instinctive Care for Your Baby and Young Child (Paperback)
If you're not sure you really understand what Attachment Parenting *is*, this is the book for you. It's well-written, well-organized and full of both practical and thoughtful information. It's also very hard-hitting. The chapter on why sleep-training methods are a bad idea really made me re-think some of my previous views. I also like the book because the author doesn't "guilt" anybody. She says that attachment parenting can take lots of forms in different families. As a working mother, I loved the chapter on how to integrate attachment parenting into a working parent's life. This was overall the best parenting book I've ever read.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great resource for all parents, young and old., 23 Aug 1999
By A Customer
When it comes to books on babies, skip the rest and pour through Katie Allison Granju's "Attachment Parenting." What a great resource for all parents, young and old, those of us still learning the ropes of new parenthood, and those who have 'been there, done that.' Yes, we need all the information we can get about breastfeeding, sleeping with our babies, how to carry them around, and why NOT to circumcise our little boys. But this book helps us deal with what to say to our mothers - and even doctors - when it comes to their, well, ignorance regarding these subjects. Parents like us will rethink the bottle and crib, and dispose of them accordingly, with Granju's supportive and well researched voice gently guiding the way. As we enter the new millenium, perhaps a new parenthood, a new mothering, will surface, thanks to Ms. Granju and her beautifully and thoughtfully articulated new book. "Cheers!" to "Attachment Parenting!"

1.0 out of 5 stars Repetitive and negative, 18 Sep 2009
D. Hill (East Sussex UK) - See all my reviews
I believe in 'attachment parenting' but found this book deeply disappointing. The first three chapters are repetitive and pessimistic, without offering any practical or useful advice. The resources listed at the end of each chapter are mainly American. Important arguments are presented without any supporting evidence or examples, and as a result comes across as a lengthy lecture. After reading the Continuum Concept, I found this book overly focused on negative and unsupportive factors, rather than offering a positive and empowering viewpoint.

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally--a "real" book that parents can actually use!, 4 May 1999
By A Customer
I was lucky enough to read selected excerpts from this book before publication. I cannot wait to see the rest of it! After so many parenting books that tell the parent what to do, this book is wonderful in that it encourages parents to follow their instincts--which are best for their own baby. Babywearing, breastfeeding, even the working attachment parent is covered in this fantastic guide to attachment parenting. A delightful read!

5.0 out of 5 stars A real mama writing for real mamas, 24 Aug 1999
By A Customer
I LOVED this book. If I could give it six stars I would. It validated all the choices we are making as parents. When I read other parenting books, I always feel like an oddball. "What to Expect the First Year" and "What to Expect the Toddler Years" criticized everything I am doing-- like sleeping with my child, nursing past his first birthday, carrying him a lot, still breastfeeding at night... This book gave me a nice pat on the back as a mother and said 'you are doing a great job!"
I really like that this book was written by a real mother who is currently parenting her own small children and yet was also reviewed by many experts. You get the best of both with "Attachment Parenting"

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow. Wow. Wow., 3 Aug 1999
By A Customer
Simply put, this book is something no expectant parent or new parent should be without. It will fundamentally change the way you view parenthood, your child, and society. I wish every pregnant woman in America could receive a copy. I think it will come to be seen as a classic in American parenting literature.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 5 Oct 2007
J. Ramsden "JanesC" (UK) - See all my reviews
Really exciting and interesting book. I couldn't put it down and wish I had brought it while I was still pregnant.
It may not be practical to follow all the suggestions but it's well worth a read if you are interested in the natural way to bring up your baby. Your baby will be a lot more content when it is raised the way it was supposed to be!

5.0 out of 5 stars This book is especially timely., 5 May 1999
By A Customer
I teach an Alternative Program for troubled youngsters. I only wish that each of their parents had had the benefit of this book during their child's most formative years. The author provides clear, sensible, and loving methods for nurturing, rather than simply rearing, a child. As we search for better ways to raise the next generation, this book should be a "must read" for all parents. It is a real treasure.

5.0 out of 5 stars AWESOME!! Long overdue!! Thank you, Katie Allison Granju!, 28 July 1999
By A Customer
If you just bought an expensive new baby crib, or "baby bucket"/stroller combo, hope you kept the receipt!! This is the best gift for parents to be (include a sling and you have the perfect shower gift). The book is loaded with resources for support and encouragement. It is time that parents get back to basics and listen to their hearts- and their babies. You could not find a better deal for $10 anywhere. I wish she had included more about natural birth, and the effects on labor drugs on infants, but overall the book is incredibly refreshing. It will make you laugh, and cry, but it will also make you fall in love with your newborn and experience a bond that is not very common between mothers and their babies in our culture. I give this book an A+++ and have already purchased 4 copies to give away!

5.0 out of 5 stars Reminds you how to parent with respect and love, 13 May 1999
By A Customer
I was lucky enough to recieve an advance copy of this amazing parenting book. With all of the books that have come out in the past few years teaching you how to train your baby and child this is a refreshing change. This book is a guide to raising your children with respect and love. As an AP mom myself I can honestly say that it works. I plan to give this book to all my friends who are expectant and new parents!

Attachment Parenting : Instinctive Care for Your Baby and Young Child
Attachment Parenting : Instinctive Care for Your Baby and Young Child by Katie Allison Granju (Paperback - 1 Aug 1999)
16.99