4.0 out of 5 stars Very thought provoking and humorous, 30 Mar 2000
This review is from: Just Checking: Scenes from the Life of an Obsessive-Compulsive (Paperback)
I read this book in one day which, as a mother of 2 children shows a certain amount of interest! Many passages made me laugh so much but this was then followed by a certain amount of guilt at laughing at another person's distress. There were times when I found it very upsetting that someone so attractive (see back cover) could be so 'upset' but the book is so beautifully written that one doesn't feel maudling too much. I have thought more about this book since I finished it than another book for some time. I guess if I had to critise it at all it would be because I felt it was somewhat disjointed in the manner in which it was written. I felt that the book lacked continuity and I would have liked to hear more about how her husband and children coped. I would so much like to hear how she is doing now. One of the best books I have ever read.

4.0 out of 5 stars A quick, enjoyable book, 16 July 1999
By A Customer
I found myself laughing out loud when reading "Just Checking." The author is a terrific writer and has a sharp, sarcastic sense of humor. She's terrific with details. I just finished a long, seriously haunting novel and found "Just Checking" to be a refreshing respite. It's smart and sassy.

4.0 out of 5 stars Honest Account, 17 Mar 2011
Lincs Reader (Lincolnshire, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)
'Just Checking' is a series of vignettes that are honest, startling, at times very funny yet also deeply emotional. Emily relates her journey through life, from incidents during childhood, to the present day - along her journey she has been accompanied by the symptoms of Obsessive Compulsive Disorder. These symptoms and this disorder have shaped Emily's whole life and her personality.
It is apparant from the writing that Emily is an intelligent woman, she realises that her thoughts and actions are not normal, but she is tormented by them. At first she was convinced that she would be poisoned, these feelings grew and grew until her world became, to her, a very dangerous place. Emily is a witty woman, her writing is simple and easy to read and she is very self-aware. It is clear that Emily knows the effects of her OCD on her life, her children and her husband and tries her best to hide the outward signs from other people, but that becomes increasingly difficult for her. Nobody is referred to by their name, she talks about her husband, her friend, her daughter etc, almost as though she is separate from them. She talks about her childhood and I would wonder whether some of her father's behaviours had an impact on her own disorder.
This is a fascinating read, a real insight into living with OCD.

5.0 out of 5 stars One word...WOW, 19 Nov 2001
Girl, Interrupted has to be my most favourite book now. It is simply amazing. So deep and wonderful. You really connect to it. Buy it now...or else...you'll never know what greatness is inside it.

Just Checking: Scenes from the Life of an Obsessive-Compulsive