on 11 March 1999
After her father and other local hotel owners rejected her efforts to work at one of their establishments, Meg Brooks decides to find a spouse. To do so, Meg knows she must change her feisty personality into that of a prim and proper lady as she learned to be in finishing school.
At the same time, San Francisco Chronicle reporter Matthew Gage has arrived incognito in Harmony, Montana. Matthew, using the alias of the real beleaguered Vernon Wilberforce, traveling salesman, has entered the local fishing competition. He seeks to uncover whether the rumors of cheating in the competition turn out to be true. After meeting the charming Margaret under his hotel room bed, Matthew falls in love with the tomboy, not the lady. Though he knows she loves him, he worries that she will hate him when she learns who he really is.
This is one book with a title that lives up to its name as readers will be HOOKED by Stef Ann Holms latest Americana romance. The entertaining story line is crisp and fun because of the antics of the lead characters, desperately trying to unsuccessfully hide their true selves from each other. Ms. Holm can always be counted on for a good romance, which this novel obviously is.

Harriet Klausner
on 23 June 1999
This was the first book I've read by Stef Ann Holm and I really enjoyed it.
Set at the turn of the century (20th century, not 21st!), stunt reporter Matthew Gage finds himself in Harmony,MT to investigate if the local fly-fishing contest was rigged. Posing himself off as a Bissell vacuum cleaner salesman, he meets Meg Brooks.
At the old age of twenty, Meg Brooks is destined for a life of spinsterhood. She's out to find herself a husband! What she finds is herself madly in love with whom she believes is a vacuum cleaner salesman, little does she know his true identity AND the fact that originally he's only courting her to find out if her brother rigged last year's fishing contest.
This was a good book and made me laugh out loud several times. I'm sad to say that once again I started with the second in the series.
on 14 June 1999
A marvelous lesson to all of us to be true to ourselves and not allow the prejudices of others to make us feel unworthy. And to fight for what's right even if it's not popular to do so.
And a delicious romance as well, which is by no means secondary to the plot. This book truly has it all. I highly recommend it and will look for more by this author.
on 15 May 1999
I really like to read Ms Holm's books. This one was sweet and funny. I recommend reading it. I also recommend HARMONY, the first in the series. I liked it even more.
on 4 June 1999
Ms. Holm has penned another wonderful romance that had me enchanted by the heroine and in love with the hero. Meg and Matthew's story captured me from the beginning.
on 4 June 1999
If you love Americana, you'll love this one. Like Ms. Holm's previous books, Hooked is warm and wonderful and filled with her special humorous touch.
on 5 September 1999
Stef Ann Holm is a master story teller. Her Americanas are fast and funny and will warm your heart.