5.0 out of 5 stars Terrifying!
This is an enchanting and terrifying tale of a nightmarish carnival that comes to the town where two boys live. The two 13 year old boys are best friends who were born just minutes apart from each other at Halloween time.

Published on 29 Oct 2006 by kehs

2.0 out of 5 stars Preview before buying.
Generally I'm a great fan of Ray Bradbury's works but not in this case. I tried my best to get into it but it failed to engage me. Perhaps it's just me but I wish I'd taken a look inside or downloaded a preview before buying it. So I'm sorry but only two stars for this one.
Published 9 months ago by George the Red

5.0 out of 5 stars Terrifying!, 29 Oct 2006
kehs (Hertfordshire, England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)

The boys are excited about the carnival but things soon take on a terrifying twist when they discover the dark secret behind the carrousel. The ride can change a person's age. Ride it forward, and with each revolution you age one year. Ride it backwards, and you become younger. We hear how the boys have to do battle with evil, in order to save themselves from a horrific fate and I could really feel their terror as they tried to outwit the carnival owners. This book was a gripping page-turner that absolutely enthralled me. It is a book to be savored for the glorious prose that Bradbury skillfully uses and deserves to be read, and then read again

5.0 out of 5 stars The Day I Killed Ray Bradbury, 25 July 2012
Quicksilver (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
I was in my local Waterstones (again) when an amazing cover caught my eye. The neon green on black cover of this reissue certainly has appeal. I picked it up and read the first line.

'The seller of lightning rods arrived just ahead of the storm.'

Wham! What a way to start a novel. One line and I was hooked; desperate for more. I think it might be the finest opening line of all time. Being a sensible thrifty chap, I resisted the temptation to purchase there and then. Instead I added it to 'the list', promising myself I would return soon. When I arrived home, the news was just in. Ray Bradbury had died.

My mind reeled, was this just coincidence or had I inadvertently caused the death of one of science fiction's greatest authors? OK, he was ninety-one, but did I have that sort of power? Well obviously not, but even now a small part of me wonders whether I should have checked out Jedward's biography whilst I was there.

In honour of the great man's passing I bought the book.

It takes as its subject that stalwart of gothic fiction, the carnival troupe. Like clowns, carnivals are something that are supposed to entertain children and adults alike, yet in reality they are macabre and scary. There is something other-worldly about them, with their freak-shows, bunko artists and silver-tongued magicians. Bradbury adds a touch of the supernatural and a pinch of wish fulfilment to produce something truly terrifying.

The prose in 'Something Wicked...' is stylised, and has its own mystical quality. Bradbury's evocative description manages to be rambling, yet feels as though not a single word is redundant. Fans of modern horror may not find the style to their liking. Contemporary writers of the genre tend to use more direct, visceral prose. Description tends to be an accurate depiction of what is happening. Bradbury's meandering descriptions are filled with metaphor and allusion. This doesn't always make for an thrilling read, but soak yourself in his language, and the reward is entrancing.

The tale is wrought by melding time-old themes:- Coming of age, the regret of a life unfulfilled and the perils of getting what you wish for. The carnival owners are deeply sinister, and the novel's teenaged protagonists, full of the vim and certainty that comes with being fourteen. This book is a clear influence on Stephen King, but not just his writing of horror. 'Something Wicked...' very much reminded King's novella 'Stand by Me'. Both are beautiful and accurate portrayals of boys on the cusp of adulthood.

This is an amazing book. A prose masterclass by an author at the peak of his powers. No word is unnecessary. A meditation on youth and longing, 'Something Wicked...' is a book with multiple textures and layers. It is, quite simply, a masterpiece.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bradbury's Masterpiece, 8 Jun 2006
E. Quintrell (London, England) - See all my reviews
Ray Bradbury is perhaps most known for his science fiction, notably his collection of short stories "The Martian Chronicles", but "Something Wicked This Way Comes" remains his best regarded and most loved piece of work.

A clear (and acknowledged) influence on the work of Stephen King, this tale of an nightmarish carnival coming to town, and the two boys who stand against it, is one of the great American fantasy stories. Equally enchanting, terrifying and heartbreaking, this is one of those books that once read, is never forgotten.

Scandalously out of print until now, if you're a Ray Bradbury fan, then buy this immediately. If you like classic Stephen King, then buy this immediately. In fact, whatever your tastes, just get this book immediately. you won't regret it...

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic Dark Fantastique, 22 Nov 2004
Technically speaking, his Fahrenheit 451 may be a better novel, but for me this later work represents Bradbury's imaginative and narrative powers at their peak. Two boys trembling on the edge of adolescence in a small Illinois town in the earlier part of the twentieth century are drawn into the mystery of the dark carnival that arrives in the depths of a summer night. Written in a vividly poetic - and occasional over the top - style, this rich fantasy explores the wild and magical dream that is childhood in Bradbury's fiction and its necessary rupturing by adult awareness, the inevitable loss of innocence that accompanies this and the suggestion that this process is one of corruption. Cooger and Dark's Pandemonium Shadow Show offers unwary customers their hearts' desires - only to horribly twist and distort them, in a way that paradoxically could never be in the 'real' world but only within the imaginative realm that children inhabit. Bradbury's narration is colourful and nostalgic, sentimental and richly descriptive as he unleashes his astonishing tale of wide-eyed youngsters, world-weary adults, freaks, nightmares, and gothic revelation. An impossible book to pin down, perhaps due to its own dreamlike structure and narrative, it surely contains the wonders of youth and horrors of maturity presented in Bradbury's fantastical symbolism, and as such represents his most vividly realised work.

5.0 out of 5 stars something wicked this way comes, 28 Jan 2014
One of Ray Bradbury,s best long stories, you can soon become lost in the narrative. I have read this story before, and to me it has lost none of its qualities

5.0 out of 5 stars One of Bradbury's very best., 5 Jan 2014
He has the writer's guile to make us really care and empathise with the characters.I couldn't put it down. Simply love it

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant poetical horror, 30 Nov 2013
I now own, including this kindle version and the one I loaded onto my wife s kindle, ten copies of Something Wicked This Way Comes. Not because I'm a very specialised boarder, but because it's so bloody good and when ever I see a copy I don't own, I buy it and read it. I must read Bradburys novel at least once a year.
Why?
Because it never fails to move me, scare me or reveal something new that I have not noticed before.
I won't bang on about themes, sub plots or anything, but will say that it is a superb read and I shall recommend it until my dying day

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the classics of speculative fiction., 24 Nov 2013
Arguably Ray Bradbury's masterwork. Prose that flows like poetry. Memorable phrases, lines and concepts that once read are in the mind for life.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Liquorice-Black Fairy Tale, 17 Oct 2013
It begins with an evocation of small town life, mostly as seen through the eyes of two boys. From this perspective the world is a place of wonder (and a little fear) undiminished by familiarity. The few adults we meet, by contrast, wander lost in reflection.

And then, at 3 am on an October night, the most gothic of all gothic carnivals arrives. It's populated by freaks: the illustrated man, a waxwork witch.... It offers enchantments to the unwise and it turns everybody's thoughts to time and death. There is a little philosophising in the library, but most of what follows is running, hiding, fighting, in a series of graphic scenes that highlight this novel's origin as a screen play.

Bradbury is clearly in love with his subject. There is a flamboyance to his writing here, an exuberant tumble of words that reminded me of Dylan Thomas. It's not a full-on horror story. There is no gore. It's better than that, being by turns unsettling and life-affirming.

2.0 out of 5 stars Preview before buying., 24 Sep 2013

Something Wicked This Way Comes
Something Wicked This Way Comes by Ray Bradbury (Paperback - 3 Aug 1998)
Used & New from: 0.01