Format: Paperback|Change

on 24 November 1999
This book deals with absolutely everything a beginner like me needs to know about running, from the right shoes to what to do if you are chased by a dog! It has true-life sections from a variety of women, on how running has improved their lives, and is also upbeat enough to motivate me now that the winter mornings are with us. There is enough information to keep even experienced runners reaching for this book, from improving form, to training for races. It lists a number of race and running organisations (mostly American, though). All in all, an excellent 'primer', and although, to be honest, I'm still not very good, it's more a reflection on my athletic skills rather than any fault with the book itself!
on 24 April 2001
As a regular runner, this book is an excellent resource in terms of everything that affects women's running. Easy to read, with lots of charts, examples, addresses for further information etc. Although American and containing lots of "Americanisms", this is the most authorative book I've read on women's running. Beginning with "why run" and covering issues such as pregnancy, eating, safety, menopause, running programs, cross-training, racing and injuries. The book is clearly divided into sections so you can find particular information easily. You don't have to read the whole book in one go!
11 comment|129 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 13 November 2003
I purchased this book when I started jogging as the 'just for women' appealed to me. It contains lots of relevant info and salient points for the beginner and the experienced runner. You can dip in and out of it at any time and most problems and issues are addressed. Lots of encouragement is contained within the straightforward advice. An inspiration!!
on 9 May 1999
I borrowed this book from a friend and within minutes relaized that I had to buy my own copy. It is well-layed out enabling the reader to quickly access information. The topics go beyond the obvious: fitness, health, and weight loss. It challenges the reader to examine one's life as a woman and a healthy person. I am still amazed at the range of topics covered by the book... It entertains, informs, and inspires. You should either own, borrow, or give a copy of this book to someone.
on 18 February 2003
This book covers everything. As well as running there are chapters about nutrition and diet, stretching and training, injuries, racing, motivation and many other topics. I read this book about six months ago and ever since I have used it as a reference at least once a week. This book is full of sensible advice aimed at all female runners of all ages and abilities. There are also helpful training schedules for all standards over all distances of race.
0Comment|100 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 17 April 1999
I am so glad I bought this book! Claire's advice is comprehensive and she covers virtually every subject that is of interest to women runners. She talks about training for different races, nutrition, special concerns for women, running safely, stretching, weight training, and more. I recommend this training guide for any woman who is interested in beginning a running program or is looking to improve her running. This is a great buy!
VINE VOICEon 26 March 2007
I bought this about 6 months ago when having hauled my rather overweight backside off the sofa for the first time in 5 years I decided it was high time I got fit and lost weight. This book has been invaluable to me. I had never run anywhere (apart from in PE at school 20 years ago and I hated it even then!) so it was a case of starting from scratch.

This book is specially written for women and takes all things into account (our metabolisms, our bones etc as well as the more obvious PMS, menopause and pregnancy). It gives advice on nutirition, training plans as well as preventing injury, cross training etc.

6 months later I am 3 and a half stone lighter and have just run my very first 10K in an hour!!!! How chuffed am I?

Well worth the investment. Good luck and go for it!
22 comments|58 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 8 August 2000
This book contains everything you will need to know to start and continue running. The information given is all based on proven science and fitness practice and training. This book helped me to improve my running, prepare for my first race and run my best time. I don't need any other books and wouldn't be without this one.
on 2 April 2011
I was dubious about buying this book following a purchase of '4 months to a 4 hour marathon' by a different author, fearing it would be just as pointless but this book surprised me. It is a fantastic bible for all runners (not just women) and although some of the reviewers have said it is too basic, I disagree. It is wonderfully written, easy to read, and very very informative. It has easy reference and structured chapters and has helped me to understand alot more about my mid distance running training diet & lifestyle. I disagree that it is not for seasoned runners, and would reccommend it to anyone who wants to know more about running at various levels.
on 8 March 2010
I'm not a fast or long-distance runner, but I have been running on and off for about 6 years now and this book didn't tell me anything that I don't already know. What's more, Kowalchik's message of 'love yourself, no matter what you look like - unless you are very thin' is a bit disturbing. I think this book has a lot of good information in it for beginners and will motivate people to get up off the sofa and try some running.