Format: Paperback|Change

on 15 March 2000
I have read all five of the "Ramses" series of books and I have been thoroughly engrossed with the whole series. The story has continued with each new book in the series and I would thoroughly recommend this book to anyone.
on 19 December 1998
This is Christain Jacq's fourth novel in the Ramses series. Jacq is apparently a leading egyptologist and he provides us with some fascinating insights into the life of the Pharaohs ,from their relationship with the Gods to various herbal remedies. Despite Jacq's acedemic knowledge this novel, like its predecessors, lacks the sort of cutting edge that say Lindsey Davis brings to her Falco novels.
Jacq's hero, unlike Davis' Falco who is a figment of her imaganation, was a real person. There are then historical limitations to Jacq's creative interpretation. I find, as a consquence,the plot weak and the recounting of events like the Exodus lack credibility and frustratingly brief. I also found it distracting that I did not get an impression of time and was disappointed to discover, given the brevity of the narrative, that years had elasped.
The publishers of this book sought not to include extracts from more established critics than I on the back cover. Perhaps, being a French author the reviews were in French and not thought relavent. Given that the novels can be seen in all the book shops I cannot believe that they have not been reviewed and I simply wonder whether there have been too few good ones for the publishers to include any !
For fans of Jacq and the Ramese novels, his approach to story telling will be familar. If you have read the previous volumes and got this far you will no doubt enjoy this book. Strangely, I found it compelling and find myself looking forward to getting my hands on Under The Western Acaica, so why bother with what I think !
on 9 July 2000
Continuing story of the life of Ramses the Great. Mixes historical fact and fiction using or contriving to use what we know (or can guess at) of the Ancient Egyptian way of Royal life. As good as the other book that I have read in this series.
on 29 June 2013
One of a series of five books of the chronology of Pharoh Ramses and his Royal Wife Nefetari. Excellently written by an obvious expert - a professor of Egyptology. He links the events of the couples real lives with the art of the story-teller. After having visited Egypt recently, these books throw much light on some things we heard and saw but did not quite understand. Should be read by all visitors to the Land of the Pharohs but preferably before the visit.
on 11 March 2000
Book four in the series of five, Jacq still keeps the plot going, marvallous series keep them coming.
on 25 November 2011
This was the forth of the series of books by Christian Jacq which I have read. After reading the first Novel: "Ramses Son of Light" they proved to be addictive. Although not strictly Historical; more of a story woven around the life of Ramses and his wife Nefertari,they kept my interest enough to keep me buying the books to see how the tales developed and finished.
on 4 January 2000
I wish this series was available in the states, too. I picked my copy up in the airport shop in Zurich. It kept me interested for most of the flight back to Atlanta.
This was the first book I'd read in this series. Thankfully, it was self-contained enough that I didn't have any problems following the storyline.
on 1 August 2013
I ordered this book for a vsualliy impaired friend as it had been described as Large Print, which is what I had requested.
When the book came it was standard print. I have given the book to another friend now, also interested in this genre, but I wasn't happy that it was not as advertised
on 31 January 2016
Essentially this book is part of a 5 volume series on the life of Ramses 11 and those family , friends and enemies who accompanied him through his life. An interesting read fictionalised by an excellent French story teller and Egyptian historian
on 23 July 2011
book was in great condition,price was good,recieved it very quickly excellant read would recommend it to anybody.amazon is a great place for many other books and other items