5.0 out of 5 stars More than just a Choo story
Published 12 months ago by Ms. Nancy Buckland

1.0 out of 5 stars The poor girl was only offered £100k by her father for ...
This was utterly me, me me. The poor girl was only offered £100k by her father for her wedding and had to find the rest herself! Incidentally, that was a further $400k!!
Published 3 months ago by caz

5.0 out of 5 stars More than just a Choo story, 7 Oct 2013
Ms. Nancy Buckland "foxymissb" (Liverpool, Merseyside United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
As a huge fashion fan I was really looking forward to this book. I visited the first Jimmy Choo store in London in 1999 and a few more over the years, and have read countless articles about the seemingly glossy and almost perfect lifestyle of Tamara Mellon. This book was such a revelation as it completely lifted the cover on all that gloss and told the real story. Money can't buy you a happy childhood, and the one that Tamara experienced I wouldn't swap mine in working class Liverpool for anything. The continuing theme in the book is her love and respect for her father, who helped her start the Jimmy Choo label as we know it today. This is not a story just out of Hello magazine, it contains all the boardroom backstabbing in great detail. I learned a lot about Tamara - that nothing stops her from working, that her daughter is her priority, and that even though she did start with the financial backing of her father she turned that £150,000 investment into a £100 million dollar company. Not bad for a girl who didn't pass her 'O' levels! Not once are we asked to show sympathy or empathise, this lady is hard on herself, too. I couldn't put this book down and I hope the the Tamara Mellon brand will go on to achieve great things. My only wish? That there had been more photos. But apart from that, it's a fabulous read!

5.0 out of 5 stars Interesting and insightful - a must read, 25 Oct 2013
This review is from: In My Shoes: A Memoir (Hardcover)
I downloaded this and read it in a couple of days - it's a real page turner - very interesting if you are keen to learn more about the origins of the Jimmy Choo brand and anyone with a passion for shoes will enjoy reading about the style influences, etc but what is truly fascinating is the insight you get into what it was like for Tamara as a female owner/founder raising PE investment - this lady is a smart cookie and has been through the mill several times - her personal strength is to be admired - I can't wait to see what great things come from her new venture aptly and sensibly named - Tamara Mellon

5.0 out of 5 stars In my shoes: A Memoir, 23 Oct 2013
This is easily one of the best books I have read in a while! It is so rare to come by a women who is willing to be that open and vulnerable while not catering to the male establishment. Tamara is telling a bunch of truths about doing business in our male dominated world. Many of us have had some of the same experiences but few of us tell the truth about it out of fear of the backlash it creates. Thank you Tamara for starting a conversation that is desperately needed.

1.0 out of 5 stars The poor girl was only offered £100k by her father for ..., 20 July 2014
She berates her partners for finding her self centred and vain but I can't imagine she put in the hours most of us working in the fashion industry have done over the years, with San Lorenzo to go to each night etc.

Having run two design business's-I wouldn't have wanted a partner like Ms Mellon and can see why each of the private equity partners was keen to see her off! She was more interested in her own brand of Tamara than her team.

This is badly written at best but a great insight in to a woman I had more respect for before reading her book! Not a job well done!

5.0 out of 5 stars Insightful & Inspiring, 12 Nov 2013
I really enjoyed the journey of Tamara's life - an honest perspective of the trails and tribulations of the business world of fashion.
I was a fashion shoe buyer and could related to many aspects.
I love that that I am not alone in believing that the "suits" do struggle with the fact that fashion is not a rational business - a concrete everlasting formula to just roll out!

5.0 out of 5 stars eye opening, 9 Nov 2013
K. Bray (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: In My Shoes: A Memoir (Hardcover)
Very good read, didn't want to put it down. Couldn't believe all that Tamara had been through trying to keep hold of her own company. The book does move backwards and forwards in time it it doesn't flow in terms of dates which could be a little bit confusing as one minute she was talking about 2008 and then about something that happened in 2006 or 2009. But overall I really enjoyed it and it was definitely an eye opener.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely loved it!, 8 Nov 2013
This review is from: In My Shoes: A Memoir (Hardcover)
A very interesting an honest story for anyone interested in fashion, starting their own buisiness or private equity. Really enjoyed it.

5.0 out of 5 stars a compelling portrait of an amazing woman :), 22 Oct 2013
Tamara Spokes (Solihull, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: In My Shoes: A Memoir (Hardcover)
I have admired Ms Mellon since I was a teenager (I even share her first name, though I wasn't named after her) and Jimmy Choo is one of my all time favourite designer labels, so when I found out she was releasing a memoir, I was thrilled. I waited two and half months to read the book, since it was pre ordered, and I read, or rather devoured, this book in two days. I had a lump in my throat the size of Calcutta when I could finally bring myself to put it down.

I can only describe this book as an absolutely incredible read, and you really do feel like she is sitting there with you, telling you her story! I was blown away by the bravery and resiliency she showed in sharing some of her experiences, especially those involving her turbulent relationship with her mother. Not once is the reader asked to sympathise with her, and her prose is honest and believable. I was also quite moved by reading how she talked about her late father, and enjoyed reading about the way he helped her get on her feet in business, and about the close relationship they shared. I also liked the way she didn't dwell too much on her personal life, unlike some other celebrity memoirs I could mention.

This book also goes some way to inform readers about the pitfalls of running and owning a business, and showed you that the fashion world isn't always the glamorous world that it is made out to be. I really felt that I learnt some valuable lessons about the fashion industry from reading this book, and some of this information could be useful to people thinking about starting their own business, as well.

Of course,I couldn't finish this review without mentioning The wonderful William Patrick, Tamara's writing partner on this book. The way in which he presented Tamara's thoughts and feelings, and made them somewhat 'jump out of the page' throughout In My Shoes is simply incredible, and he, too, really sucked me into this amazing story of a life well lived.

Thank you, Tamara, for telling your story. as I said in this review, you are truly amazing and I hope you get the happy ending you have always been searching for :) x

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent book for every thinking and feeling human being., 2 Oct 2013
Miroslaw Grabiec (Park City, Utah United States) - See all my reviews
Excellent book for every thinking and feeling human being. Business is just a side story here; real humanity is at its core.

The story is very personal yet universal: forging on and learning about yourselves in the process.

Well done to Tamara to open so much of your private life - many will be inspired by your brave honesty.

2.0 out of 5 stars "Shoes" not to read this book, 10 Jan 2014
S.M. Gidley (Sidmouth, Devon, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: In My Shoes: A Memoir (Hardcover)
Dear me, this is a classic example of an interesting story being runined by some absolutely shocking writing on the part of co-writer William Patrick. This is pretty ironic when you consider that most of Mellon's story arises out of less-than-perfect collaborations and partnerships. It is a shame that she did not have the nous to pick a decent writer. Strangely, she trumpets how great Patrick is in the ackowledgements... Honestly, I have read sports biogs which are better written than this, and they are stylistically dreadful in the main. Mellon claims that Patrick has captured her voice, I would claim that no-one speaks this banally or clunkily.

There is so much wrong with this as a piece of writing it is hard to know where to start. Firstly, he's an American, so there are American spellings throughout. This just seems odd when the subject is British and spends a lot of time banging on about championing British business. Surely an editor should have sorted this out?

Unless you know a lot about how private equity works (ie pretty much no-one) there are several chunks of the text that you will be able to scan through, if not just miss out completely, as it will make no sense to you at all. These are just endless list of figures and who said what to whom, how many shares people kept and which off-shore trusts they were kept in. Patrick should have put in a better explanation of how this all works in an attempt to support the reader to understand Mellon's gripes. Again, this is an example of not only bad writing, but bad editing.

Furthermore, only very infrequently are dates mentioned. Several times I had to try and work out where the narrative was up to by looking at some of the photos that had dates on them, and usually not very successfully.

I can't help thinking that a biography of Mellon would have been better handled than an autobiography. Despite continued protestations to the contrarary there was a prevailing "poor me" element which was hard to reconcile with the fact that she came from a wealthy family and her business activities all the way through were underpinned either by her father's money or that of some very rich friends. It's hard to feel a lot of sympathy, especially when it is expressed to badly.

In My Shoes: A Memoir
In My Shoes: A Memoir by Tamara Mellon (Paperback - 3 July 2014)