on 25 August 2015
I really wanted to like this book. I watched Brene's famous TED talks. I think her ideas are brilliant and important, and I wanted to know more. But I found this book to be badly structured and not particularly well written. There are many repetitions, and same points being reiterated over and over again. There is a much greater emphasis on explaining why this problem is so bad, than on suggesting solutions and ways forward.

Brene is a very effective and polished speaker - she obviously had some training on how to do that well. I wish she had bothered to do the same with her writing - or perhaps that that her editors were more ruthless. I love her ideas but am disappointed with the way this book delivers them.
11 comment20 of 20 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 4 February 2013
Like other readers I strongly suggest you view her TED talks - but this book is an amplification and detailed explanation of the talk - it really enhances what she's saying.
First, for those unfamiliar with Brene's work, she is a 'proper' academic, researcher, but working in the less common academic field of studying vulnerablilty and shame. Now before you decide this book isn't for you - just think about some of these things she's discovered.

As we get older, wiser and more bruised by life's events - a lot of us try to shut down our feelings of vulnerability so we don't get hurt any more. We also try to comply to society's stereotypes of our gender (these are completely different for men and women - as a woman I thought the social prssure to be thin, pretty and have a perfect home was bad - just read her research on men's straitjacket). The problem is with this, is that we numb all our feelings. So if you don't feel bad, you don't feel good either. She identifies that so many of us believe we can avoid unhappiness by forboding - who hasn't had a moment of 'everything is going well - disaster must be about to strike', rather than accepting that if bad things happen, the missing out on enjoying the preceeding good years won't help?

I'm explaining this badly - she does it really well, with honesty, vulnerability and humour. I urge you to try this book - I don't think you will regret it. It will change your perspective on life, your approach to parenting and contributes to a more joyful, less scared and angry middle-years period.
0Comment90 of 97 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 16 December 2012
Being vulnerable is not a weakness, it requires great courage. Avoiding uncertainty, risks, and emotional exposure limits our lives. Fear leads to disconnection and lost opportunities. Our only choice is really to dare greatly and engage fully in our lives. It's only by showing up and letting ourselves be seen that we can make those unique contributions that only we can make.

In the book, Brené Brown explores what drives our fear of being vulnerable, how we are protecting ourselves from vulnerability, and - most importantly - how we can engage with vulnerability so that we can live our lives fully. As the book title says, this has consequences for how we live, love, parent, and lead.

Personally, I'm very interested in how the courage of being vulnerable can transform the way we lead. The most significant problems which people talked with Brené about stems from disengagement, the lack of feedback, the fear of staying relevant amid rapid change, and the need for clarity of purpose. She emphasizes the importance of taking direct action when blame and shame (bullying, public criticism & reprimands, reward systems that intentionally belittle people) is used as a management tool, because management by fear is very unproductive and totally unacceptable.

Brené provides a very well researched and important perspective on leadership, teaching, and parenting. I warmly recommend her book!
0Comment24 of 28 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 3 December 2014
Boy how I enjoyed this book! Portraying vulnerability as a strength and promoting wholehearted lives in a culture of scarcity is a monumental challenge that I believe this book achieves remarkably. Through her humor, her soft writing style, some examples of her own life and her data to back up the info, Brene sheds light on shame and vulnerability in an exquisite way.
I would recommend this book to anyone, but the truth is that I don't believe it's for anyone, I think you should be in a 'good place' to fully take on the countless benefits that this book offers. I recently had an 'emotional enlightment' and this book helped me A LOT to manage my current personal development process.
on 24 July 2014
Watch the 20 minute Ted clip on Youtube and then you wont need to buy this book. Unfortunately I found out after I had bought it!
on 1 July 2014
While the author does make some interesting points, it's hard to find them unders tons and tons of redundant and meaningless words and anecdotes.

I stopped reading half way, it gets seriously tedious and uninteresting after a while. Like many others have said, all the points in the book could have been summed in 50 pages or less.

Save yourself some money and time.
0Comment14 of 17 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 5 February 2013
Brene Brown is a "Shame" researcher who brings evidence to show how our live improve when we share our vulnerabilities. Written in a very human style with lots of short and moving stories, she makes the case for how the pretence of invulnerability by business and political leaders is crippling business and society, as well as damaging our children.

Highly recommended reading for every human!
on 7 January 2013
I saw her TED-talks and simply had to buy her latest book.
She is candid, thorough and funny and this is a book I shall go back to many, many times.
A very courageous woman indeed.
on 17 January 2014
This book is good, with a completely different background, I found it difficult at first to flow with the book but soon did.

My mentor recommended it and now understand why.

Being vulnerable does help, one just needs to be wise in order to dare greatly
on 12 June 2014
Brene taps into areas that we all need to understand in order to live our best lives.
This is such an honest book , and really will open up your understanding of how you think , how you live your life and how you are as a parent, mother, father, wife, ....... Read it.