Published 4 months ago by Robert Morris

3.0 out of 5 stars some good idea...but fizzles out
Published 1 month ago by J R

5.0 out of 5 stars Why our society now has a chemical imbalance and what we must do about it, 8 Mar 2014
Robert Morris (Dallas, Texas) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Leaders Eat Last: Why Some Teams Pull Together and Others Don't (Paperback)
I agree with Simon Sinek: "Too many of the environments in which we work today frustrate our natural inclinations to trust and cooperate." He notes that since the Boomers took over the running business and government, the U.S. (and much of the world) has experienced three significant stock market crashes in 1987, 2000, and 2008. "A new set of values and norms has been established for our businesses and our society -- a system of dopamine-driven performance that rewards us for individual achievement at the expense of the balancing effects of serotin and oxytocin that reward us for working together and building bonds of trust and loyakty. It is this imbalance that causes stock markets to crash."

Sinek carefully explains how and why this chemical imbalance in our society has occurred and then suggests hat he thinks must be done about it. "The big Boomer generation has, by accident, created a world quite out of balance" but "we can't simply blame an entire generation for the ills we face today." I agree. It has taken several decades for this imbalance yo occur and it will probably take several decades to correct it. How? That's what this book is all about.

It's title suggests to me the type of leader Robert Greenleaf describes in an essay written in 1970: "The servant-leader is servant [begin italics] first [end italics]... It begins with the natural feeling that one wants to serve, to serve [begin italics] first [end italics]. Then conscious choice brings one to aspire to lead. That person is sharply different from one who is [begin italics] leader [end italics]first, perhaps because of the need to assuage an unusual power drive or to acquire material possessions...The leader-first and the servant-first are two extreme types. Between them there are shadings and blends that are part of the infinite variety of human nature."

These are among the dozens of business subjects and issues of special interest and value to me, also listed to indicate the scope of Sinek's coverage.

o The Value of Empathy (Pages 7-8)
o We See What We Want to See, and, The Awesome Responsibility (12-17)
o Circle of Safety: U.S. Marines (18-25)
o It's All About the Group, and, Our Chemical Dependency (35-37)
o Our Goals Must Be Tangible (42-45)
o Generosity and Other Ways to Build Trust (51-52)
o Eating Last Is Repaid with Loyalty and Hard Work (68-70)
o Know When to Break the Rules (72-75)
o The Boom Before the Bust (81-84)
o The Eight-Hundred-Pound Boomer in the Room (84-89)
o When Leaders Eat First, and, Dehumanization (94-96)
o Abstraction Kills (97-101)
o Bad Cultures Breed Bad Leaders, and, A Culture Protected (133-136)
o True Power (141-147)
o Enemies Fight. Friends Cooperate (162-165)

When concluding his thoughtful and thought-provoking book, Simon Sinek observes, "Leadership, true leadership, is not the bastion of those who sit at the top. It is the responsibility of anyone who belongs to the group. Though those with formal rank may have the authority to work at greater scale, each of us has a responsibility to keep the Circle of Safety strong [i.e. one that provides mutual support and, when needed, mutual protection]. We must all start today to do little things for the good of others...one day at a time. Let us all be the leaders we wish we had."

Robert Greenleaf's remarks quoted earlier are even more relevant now than they were 43 years ago and the same is true of my favorite passage in Lao-Tzu's Tao Te Ching, written around 6th century BC:

"Learn from the people
Plan with the people
Begin with what they have
Build on what they know
Of the best leaders
When the task is accomplished
The people will remark
We have done it ourselves."

5.0 out of 5 stars people matter, 6 Feb 2014
markr - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This is an excellent read. Combining a liitle science and anthropology with lessons from the business, political and military worlds, the author makes clear the benefits which occur when leaders put people head of short term profit - especially of short term profit to themselves and their immediate sub group.

As Simon Sinek says, it is the times we work together to achieve a team goal which stay with us as our best working memories - working late and just achieving the deadline - having a vison and collectively finding the answer are so much more ultimately satisfying that the dopamine hits of short term individual gains.

Drawing on examples from Apple, Goldman Sachs, GE, Walmart, Microsoft and many other organisations, including the US Congress, Sinek shows that collaboration and co-operation in pursuit of a meaningful vision work much better than quick fixes and headline grabbing behaviours.

I found this to be a better book than his previous work Start With Why: How Great Leaders Inspire Everyone To Take Action- better written, much less repetitive, and more thought provoking.

This should be essential reading for anyone in positions of responsibility, or who want to be.

5.0 out of 5 stars No any new theories or principles but explanation of difference between good and bad leadership, 11 Jan 2014
"Leaders Eat Last" written by Simon Sinek is a book about leadership that does not offer any new theories or principles but instead skillfully explains what makes the difference between good and bad leadership and how to help an organization or people that you manage to feel happier and more satisfied.

Before reading the book I wasn't aware that the Huffington Post has included Sinek's book into the list of "The 12 Business Books to Read in 2014" (moreover in the first place), but after I read it that doesn't surprise me because it's truly a book for everyone who works with people and manage them.

In the book foreword, retired US General George J. Flynn nicely wrote that an organization's success or failure is based on leadership excellence and not managerial acumen - and this is one of the common situations in business when leadership is equated with management, which, although in many ways are overlapping and complement each other, are not the words that mean the same thing.
For this reason, the author in his book explains why management can't be enough to sustain any organization in the long run; he explains the human behavior elements that are causing organization to perform well over certain period of time, but lose its breath in the long run, the reason being their people lacking the good leadership.

The author simply defines leadership - it's an environment where people are important, their thinking matters, where values are shared and together they are passing through the good and bad, knowing that it is all an integral part of every job and life.
In his book Simon Sinek is often referencing to the military examples which is not surprising because in that old human profession the term of leader and the leadership is the most prominent, even though sometimes is not supported by a formal hierarchy - many times happened that in the most difficult times of military conflicts someone leadership managed to raise the morale of those around and the battle that seemed long lost was won.

In "Leaders Eat Last" divided into eight chapters, with significantly last chapter named "Becoming a Leader," author explained many aspects of leadership, including human biology and different chemicals that occur in our bodies evolved through countless generations forcing us to do things even us sometimes not certain why.
And therefore, if after this book you stop rushing to lunch, letting your colleagues in front to catch the best pieces that will mean you are one step closer to become a leader because they always think of others first, putting their own interest aside to protect us.

4.0 out of 5 stars Useful but incomplete., 28 Feb 2014
It exposed the unhealthy attitude and practices of much of modern business. It was however entirely from the male perspective, as would be expected, and no account taken of the different hormonal effects women have. Women have usually a stabilizing effect on the male reactions and 50/50 male /female balance in business would save us from the disasters so common in complex business recently. Therefore the book was interesting and informative but only half the story.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great read, 4 July 2014
An excellent book. I read start with why and was impressed, and this follow up makes so much sense. It has helped me to understand why we have such problems in financial services, and has impacted on my coaching services. Great stuff.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 3 July 2014
A great follow up to 'start with why', brilliant and inspirational. Thoroughly recommended reading for anyone running a business today.

5.0 out of 5 stars So that's how it works?, 23 Jun 2014
Offering many insights on human leadership from the perspective of our biology and the powerful influence of Serotine, Dopamine and others. This certainly helps me understand the mechanisms behind decisions in company's great and small!

3.0 out of 5 stars some good idea...but fizzles out, 8 Jun 2014
Some interesting ideas, setting out a different way of looking at how teams work best. I agree with other reviewers who say that the author repeats himself - it got quite tedious after a while (I got the point already!!) I was hoping that he would set out a concrete strategy of HOW to implement his main idea of a Circle of Safety - even just a summary list of practical steps that could be take - but no. All that was noted were a few points such as - avoid layoffs / redundancies, have social times together and set out a 'big vision'. Shame - an opportunity wasted.

4.0 out of 5 stars Soo interesting!, 11 May 2014
I love this book, it really helped me to understand how to build friendly and secure relationships with my team. Since reading this book I have helped pull together a great culture in my organisation.

5.0 out of 5 stars A fascinating insight to the human conditions that effect leadership, backed by evidence., 20 April 2014
A little slow to start I did fear this was another apple pie and motherhood book on leadership. The section on our dependency on natural stimulants such as dopamine and oxytocin changed my mind. This was real insight to how humans react and why. Building on this with cases from real life organisations really helped to show the long term impact of human reaction and the need we have for the quick hit now that has started to separate us from our fellow workers. The whole idea of leadership for me is about creating a clarity of vision, involving and engaging those who follow us and having a longer term view of performance that creates and supports trust in the leader and in the team members. Sinek's book finally helped me to understand why that works from a very human level.

Leaders Eat Last: Why Some Teams Pull Together and Others Don't