5.0 out of 5 stars Nothing happens until somebody sells something
Sales and selling has a mixed reputation - we admire entrepreneurs who build businesses from nothing but we distain 'salesmen' seeing them as pushy, 'don't take no for an answer' cold callers and doorsteppers trying to get you to buy something you don't want and don't need.

Published on 17 May 2012 by LJ

You'll enjoy this book if you like Malcolm Gladwell's books such as Blink: The Power of Thinking Without Thinking or Outliers: The Story of Success.

Published on 17 Sep 2012 by H Jackson

3.0 out of 5 stars An entertaining read but I didn't feel I learnt anything at all!, 17 Sep 2012
H Jackson (England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)

In a similar (but nowhere near as polished) style, Philip Delves Broughton travels the world interviewing sales people in different industries ranging from selling multimillion dollar Boeing aircraft to rugs in a Moroccan bazaar. The author certainly can tell an entertaining story, telling us what each sales person looks like and how they behave, what their early lives were like and what they each believe are the secrets of their success.

Ultimately, however, the book is as nourishing as a bag of candy floss or popcorn. You munch your way through it but find it insubstantial and empty. I personally found the book an easy, entertaining read, but I didn't feel that I learned a single thing that I could apply to my own life. One of the main lessons seemed to be that sales ability is mainly about having the right genes and the right early life experiences; many of the people being interviewed felt that you can't really teach sales.

So even though the subtitle of the book is 'what the world's best sales people can teach us all', I didn't think the book delivered.

To sum up: this is an entertaining book that takes us on a journey to meet and interview many successful sales people. But (in my opinion) the book does not offer us lessons that we can all apply to our own lives.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nothing happens until somebody sells something, 17 May 2012
This review is from: Life's A Pitch: What the World's Best Sales People Can Teach Us All (Paperback)

What this book reveals is the best salespeople are interested in other people's motivations, wants and needs before than their own. Revealing the psychology of why we buy and how we buy and showing how salespeople build relationships over time (from the two minute infomercial to the five year conversion), the world's best sales people tell their stories - and Philip Delves Broughton keeps the pace lively and the reader's interest piqued.

An excellent book that I romped through and will no doubt read again. It's a rallying cry in support of stella sales people.

4.0 out of 5 stars Business & life teachings, 12 Mar 2014
Too many people put their lives into boxes, to be a success this shows how not to be like that

4.0 out of 5 stars The story of good sales, rather than the guidebook, 4 Feb 2014
A. Schaffer "theschaff" (London) - See all my reviews
There are many books and training programs out there with instruction on how to be the best salesman. This book is different.

The author documents his meetings and interviews with 'the world's best salespeople' and the chronicles of those meetings are presented in this book.

There are many nice quotes to hang on the wall about what makes a good salesman, but ultimately the author eschews the catch-all solution to good selling in favour of the 'you can do it your way' approach:

"You can be exactly who you are, provided that you have the kind of attributes anyone should aspire to... curiosity, acceptance of others, warmth, resolve."

This is quite an appealing conclusion.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very readable book about sales, 26 Nov 2013
I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book. The profiles of top sales people in different environments and continents around the world makes for delicious reading and I whizzed through the book in only a couple of days (whereas it can take me a couple of weeks to read some heavy-going books).

Like another reviewer though, I felt that the book was more of a compelling story than a book that taught me anything - ie this isn't a how-to or self-help book about selling. There are loads of those out there if you're one of those dummies that needs one. However, that doesn't mean that you shouldn't read the book!

5.0 out of 5 stars A confirmation of my views of sales as a career, 13 Oct 2013
I read this book in one sitting. As someone who has migrated into being responsible for a sales target after a substantial stint in delivery/operations/customer-service roles, I liked the substantive introduction to the life, philosophy and practice of sales. I now look at my role differently. The comparison to day-to-day facts of personal life, different perspectives of successful and unsuccessful sales people and the common elements in the successful one's were particularly useful. My experience tallies with views in the book that a philosophy of genuine honest partnering my customer to play a doubles match with his customers, putting in the hours to create leads, manage the funnel and continously learn/improve the proposition to adding value is fundamentally right in maximising success. It assured me that fancy appearances, salesy talk, pushy behaviour are less important than listening, observing, sensing, adjusting to customers. The book has directly and indirectly pointed out some high level risks and dangers to avoid failure which are also very useful. I was not expecting to find any silver bullets and hence was not dissapointed to find any. My next task is to re-read my Miller Heimann books and continue the sales journey with renewed vigor.I strongly recommend this book to every thinking person getting into a sales career and open to directly confronting his/her stereotypes about sales.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice and entertaining book!, 28 Sep 2013
Easy to read and handy to remember some basics but necessary facts about sales.
I think is great to make clear some points that everybody knows but is not bad to bear in mind for everyone who is in sales

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book, 28 Jun 2013
Good to read some great stories - after all that's what life is a story just depends how and who you tell it to.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best sales book in the past 5 years, without a doubt., 7 Feb 2013
I love this book. It's a real point of difference in a market cluttered with the same type of stuff. It's amazing - buy it, enjoy it!

3.0 out of 5 stars Meandering, entertaining book, 28 Dec 2012
This was one of several presents I asked for this Christmas and I have to admit that I was a little disappointed. The book reads like a series of interviews or profiles of notable sales people, like the kind of profiles you get in the Sunday newspaper glossy magazine supplements. These profiles were quite entertaining but what were rather like having a quick snack. They were fun to devour but afterwards I felt a little bit empty: I didn't feel that I learned anything from them. Certainly, the cover claims 'what the world's best sales people can teach us all' but I didn't think that the lessons were anything particularly new or insightful.

The author's previous book 'What They Teach You at Harvard Business School' was a more practical and educational read. I felt that 'Life's A Pitch' was entertaining enough in its stories, but didn't seem to have much point.

Life's A Pitch: What the World's Best Sales People Can Teach Us All
Life's A Pitch: What the World's Best Sales People Can Teach Us All by Philip Delves Broughton (Paperback - 3 May 2012)
Used & New from: £10.44