4.0 out of 5 stars Good, but not great
I quite enjoyed this book, although far from being a page-tuner it nonetheless interested me enough to keep going with it. I, like other reviewers, didn't much like to main character, Lucy, but I was intrigued by her search through her ancestry, and this kept me reading. The writing is pleasant and unchallenging, and some of the descriptions are very evocative...
Published on 21 April 2011 by Beansmummy

2.0 out of 5 stars Not for me
I really enjoyed The Memory Keeper's Daughter so was expecting to like this book too but disappointingly I found it to be very boring and slow. It was difficult to get into and really didn't hold my interest, the more I read the more bored I became! I would recommend reading The Memory Keeper's Daughter but steer clear of reading this one!
Published on 28 April 2012 by Nikki

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, but not great, 21 April 2011
Beansmummy (Oxfordshire, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)

I was irrationally irritated by the author's unsubtle reference to her own book (The Memory Keepers Daughter) - being read, and commented on, by Lucy's mother (page 142 in my copy).

Overall I did enjoy it. It compares unfavourably to The Memory Kepers Daughter, but still makes for a good holiday read.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not for me, 28 April 2012
Nikki - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)

1.0 out of 5 stars So very disappointed!, 5 May 2011
This review is from: The Lake of Dreams (Hardcover)
Having read The Memory Keeper's Daughter, which I couldn't put down, the opposite happened with this book which I found hard to pick up! I'm very disappointed. I thought maybe it was me, but I see that others had a struggle with it too. It just didn't grip me in any way. I don't think geneology as a subject matter a good idea, all a bit tedious really. I constantly found my mind drifting off elsewhere and then having to re-read pages! I gave up in the end. I think Kim Edwards is a gifted writer but I just wish she'd given us something a bit more thrilling and intriguing as her follow up novel.

3.0 out of 5 stars Nicely written but feels a bit pointless, 27 Feb 2011
Alison "runninggirlcycling" (Derbyshire, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The Lake of Dreams is a nicely written book with some lovely imagery but by the end I felt like it was all a bit pointless.

Essentially it's a story about a genealogy search after the protagonist, Lucy, finds some unusual items in her family home. The search takes the majority of the book and although Lucy reveals some interesting family secrets I felt it was never really fully explored and it all culminated very quickly and resolved in a few pages.

There was a lot of potential in the links to women's rights in the early part of the twentieth century but I didn't think the author really made the most of what could have been really interesting material. There are also themes of Inuit rights, environmental issues, land rights and family relationships but I think that the author just attempts to get too much in and never really deals with any of the themes thoroughly enough.

Note that there is a family tree at the back of the book - I only found it at the end when it was useless to me!

All-in-all a nicely written book that didn't get to grips with any of the themes it covered and left me feeling less than satisfied. Not one I would really recommend to my reader friends.

3.0 out of 5 stars Whimsical geneology story, 25 Feb 2011
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I didn't enjoy this book as much as I hoped I would, which was a disappointment. Having said that, it's a perfectly passable beach-book; I just didn't feel it reached deep enough, its rather cheesy ending and its two-dimensional characters let it down. Lucy, the main protagonist who is on the search of her ancestor, is an unlikeable heroine and her obsession with her dreams and her quest means she pushes the feelings of others to one side. The descriptions of Japan and the Lake of Dreams are by far the best pieces of the novel - the writing is poetic and haunting - but I didn't feel gripped by the book and didn't really care how it ended.

3.0 out of 5 stars A complicated family story, 21 Feb 2011
C. Rucroft "The little bookworm" (North Yorkshire, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I absolutely loved this story when I first started it. Kim Edwards has a brilliant way with words and this instantly draws you in.

I really warmed to the main character, Lucy, and I was very interested in what she was going to dicover. The story centres around some objects she finds in her family home and the story of one particular lady. We are introduced to the contraversial world of women's rights in the early 20th century.

Unfortunately as I got about half way through I found myself becoming increasingly bored. The secret is dragged out over pages of endless (and pointless) description. We are also introduced to so many characters I began to forget who was who and found the family tree in the back next to useless. Also there are many elements to the story, which distracted me from the main focus.

I can only give this 3 stars because by the end I couldn't have cared less about any of the characters. The writing is good but it is not enough to save it.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not for me, 15 Feb 2011
Al (Farnborough, UK) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I got this book through Amazon Vine and thought it sounded like a good story from the description. Although I haven't read `The Memory Keeper's Daughter' (the previous book by the same author) I knew it was a very popular book, and that helped persuade me to try this one.

I couldn't warm to this book at all, largely due to the author's style. It is written in a very flowery, dreamy and wordy way with very little description of the characters. It is also quite repetitive.

I also couldn't take to the main character, who doesn't appear to be either likeable or interesting.

All in all, I found it very tedious to read.

Based on other reviews on here, I expect a lot of people will enjoy this book, but it's not for me.

2.0 out of 5 stars Novel by Numbers, 30 Jun 2011
J. Dawson (Edinburgh, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
To be fair, this is not a book I would normally have chosen, so maybe I am not the best judge. Having now read it, I remain unconvinced. There are some nice descriptive passages and the story flows along easily enough, but it never really challenges, surprises, or indeed impresses the reader. It's a formulaic, gentle romance/family history that just never quite takes off. The central plot of the secret family history gradually uncovered by the protagonist fails to grip, and the characters, though largely believable, are not interesting enough to keep the reader emotionally involved in the story. Works fine as a mindless way of filling some time, but anyone looking for a more memorable or rewarding read should search elsewhere.

3.0 out of 5 stars Gentle story of family secrets, 24 Feb 2011
JM (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I haven't read the widely acclaimed Memory Keeper's Daughter (also by this author) so can't compare it to that, but having heard such great things, thought I'd give this latest offering a try. This is the story of Lucy, who returns to her childhood home from Japan after several years. Whilst there she discovers a number of old letters and papers in her mother's house, seemingly they belonged to a mysterious ancestor of whom none of the family have ever heard and who appears to have disappeared from the family tree. Lucy sets out to discover what could have happened that meant she was wiped from their family history.
This is an interesting enough story, very nicely written with some vivid descriptions and a good talent for setting the scene, I could almost taste the delicious home cooked food in Avery's cafe. However my one criticism would be that it is a very gently paced read and I felt like I was always waiting for something to happen, and nothing much ever really did. I didn't dislike it by any means but was left feeling that within all those pages there was very little action of any kind.
As for the characterisation, I found Lucy's boyfriend Yoshi was just a cardboard cutout, her ex boyfriend and first love Keegan was far more engaging, and her mother was very defensive and not very likeable.

2.0 out of 5 stars Moving, 17 May 2012
After reading 'The Memory Keeper's Daughter', which was one of my favourite books, I was excited to see this book had been released. However, it did not live up to my expectations. I found it slow and also boring at times. It only really came alive near the end. The discovery that Lucy makes takes her back to the past, and secrets that perhaps were not meant to be found. In a way I was glad when I had finished reading it. Sorry Kim, not really my cup of tea.

The Lake of Dreams
The Lake of Dreams by Kim Edwards (Hardcover - 20 Jan 2011)
15.14