5.0 out of 5 stars Uplifted My Heart
Published on 30 Mar. 2012 by EmilyPD

3.0 out of 5 stars Somewhat dull
The early part of this book is worthy but somewhat dull to read-perfect childhood, perfect schooling etc etc. Unfortunately that doesn't make for exciting "let's turn the page" stuff. As we get into the elephant rescue it perks up but overall this is a bit of a slog to get through which is a pity as Daphne Sheldrick is a wonderful person and has done amazing work...
Published 23 months ago by Eunice Gray

5.0 out of 5 stars Uplifted My Heart, 30 Mar. 2012
Having fallen in love with Africa 2 years on a trip to Tanzania, I was some what shy from reading another persons love story with the continent as thoughts of possible doubt would crept into my mind. But after reading this book I not only have fallen in love with Africa more, but now also Daphne herself. She is a beautiful writer and has a magnificent style, which I can only be jealous of.
The book could be mistaken for an epic novel with a life full of authors dreams and thoughts, but instead it is one of the most stunning and interesting biographic stories I have had the pleasure of reading.

5 stars!
10/10
100%

5.0 out of 5 stars A magical journey through an extraordinary lady's life, 4 April 2012
Ever since reading and falling in love with 'The Orphan's of Tsavo' a few years ago I have periodically typed in Daphne Sheldrick's name and it was with immense joy that I recently saw 'An African Love Story' appear as a result of my searh. This book traces the life of Dame Daphne from her formative years on her parent's farm right through to the incredible work being carried on today at the orphanage for wildlife that she and her family still run. Not only do you come away from this book with a deepened appreciation for elephants, rhinos, mongoose, zebras and many, many more amazing creatures, you also feel like you've been immersed in the evolving history of Kenya from colonial times to independence and all the turbulent changes and adjustments encountered along the way. Dame Daphne writes with a passion that knows no bounds and there is a feeling of utter honesty throughout, and all the love, joy and heartbreak that accompanies such unbridled integrity of expression. The stories of the orphans Eleanor, Huppety, Wiffle, Schmetty to name but a few will leave you unable to put down this truly beautiful book. You get a real sense that Dame Daphne's life was, and still is, shaped immeasurably by her deep love for her husband David. Rarely does a book encompass so much - from a true love story, to the devastation wreaked by poaching, to the splendour of the Kenyan wilderness to the moving story of each and every orphan told in the book. The quote at the start of chapter 8 is 'Our task must be to free ourselves by widening our circle of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature in its beauty' (Einstein). Daphne Sheldrick's compassionate and enthralling book goes a long way to help achieve this.

5.0 out of 5 stars Life changing book I will never forget., 3 April 2015
Kay Fender (Buckinghamshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: An African Love Story: Love, Life and Elephants (Paperback)
I am an avid reader but no book has ever affected me like Daphne Sheldrick's African Love Story, it will stay in my thoughts forever and since reading it I have been keenly involved in campaigning against the ivory trade.
It's a beautifully written story, sometimes very amusing and funny and other times very moving and sad; it made me want to visit Kenya, to work with elephants, to meet Daphne and the team at Tsavo which isn't going to happen of course but that's how it made me feel. As an animal lover, I loved Daphne's descriptions of their exotic pets and the various elephants, rhino's etc which came into their care, I have to say though, (and I really don't want to put you off), no book ever made me cry so much.
I can't recommend this book more, please read it.

4.0 out of 5 stars simply because I love elephants and admired the work of the orphanage that ..., 22 May 2015
When I was given my Kindle two years ago, I asked for this to be added to my 'booklist' , simply because I love elephants and admired the work of the orphanage that I'd read about. I didn't actually read the story until two months ago, prior to my visit to the orphanage. Consequently I had an additional interest in reading it and was not disappointed by its background information and the incredible efforts of Daphne Sheldrick, her family and staff.
For the record, I would advise any traveller to Nairobi to visit the orphanage to see the delightful orphans - and the patient keepers!

5.0 out of 5 stars AN AFRICAN LOVE STORY (LOVE,LIFE AND ELEPHANTS), 27 Feb. 2012
Dr S. S. Nagi "Nyrobe" (united kingdom) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This book was first published in 2012, has 321 pages, 20 colour pictures, 57 B/W photos and 2 large maps of Kenya and Tsavo East. The book is divided into 16 chapters and is dedicated to David Sheldrick and other pioneer wardens of Kenya National Parks, the wilderness, Dame Daphne's family and her 4 grandchildren. The book starts in 1907, when Daphne's grand parents left South Africa and sailed to MOMBASA, Kenya with their livestock. From here on the Uganda Railways to NAIROBI and they checked into Norfolk Hotel. The wagon train took them 4 months to get to Narok, later to move near Lake Naivasha. After the 1st World War, Bryan(Dame Daphne's father) moved to South Africa. Here he met Marjorie Webb. On return, Bryan had started a farm at GIL GIL. They got married in 1930 and had 4 children, Peter, Sheila, Daphne(june 1934) and Betty(1938).
Always an animal lover from childhood, Daphne adopted a baby Bushbuck-Bushy, at the age of 4. Aged 6, she was sent to boarding school at NAKURU. At 13, she joined Kenya Girls High school in Nairobi. At 15, she fell in love with Bill(Frank William Woodley), assistant warden at Nairobi National Park. At 17, she got engaged to Bill and they got married on 27.6.1953 in Naivasha. Their honeymoon was spent in England and Scotland. Bill was transfered to Tsavo East NP to work under David Sheldrick. On 26.1.1955, their daughter Jill(Gillian Sala Ellen) was born. At Tsavo, they had to stay with David Sheldrick(David and Diana had separated and she had taken their 2 children with her). Daphne started loving Tsavo and worked at the HQ office. After 6 years together, Daphne and Bill drifted apart and Daphne felt attracted towards David.
Daphne loved watching the elephants. On 13.6.1959, David was honoured with MBE from the Queen. After divorce, Bill married Ruth Hales. Daphne married David at 11 am on 20.10.1960 in Mombasa, becoming Daphne Sheldrick. Their honeymoon was in LAKE MANYARA, Tanzania. Then a big orphan group started getting collected at their home in Tsavo. On 1.7.1963, Angela Mara(pip) was born in Nairobi. More orphans arrived including ELEANOR the elephant at their VOI orphanage. Then David started having cramps between his shoulders and was diagnosed to have angina. Sadly for David and Daphne, they were moved to Nairobi National Park. David had more episodes of chest pain and on 13.6 1977 at 11 pm, collapsed, was rushed to Nairobi Hospital, but passed away. The Karen church was packed and David was laid to rest in the Langata Cemetary. He was 57 years old.
Daphne had a new house built inside the Nairobi National Park and she soon started collecting her orphans, including elephants and this started the DSWT Orphanage(open every day to public- 11 am to 12 noon), that you see today in Nairobi. Then in 1987, David Sheldrick Wildlife Trust(DSWT) was formed. With trial and error, Daphne had formulated the milk which the elephants thrived on. In 1989, Daphne was awarded the MBE and in 1996, she became Dame Daphne (DBE). Out of 200 elephants rescued, 100 are now living in the wild. Angela now runs the Trust. Dame Daphne not only narrates her family story in this book, but also the history of Kenya and its wildlife. She keeps you interested in all the 321 pages. This book is written simply and beautifully. Having visited Kenya many times, we were lucky that Dame Daphne allowed us to have our photo taken with her at the DSWT Orphanage in 2005 and as foster parents of the elephants, we visited the baby elephants in Nairobi and Voi. The Trust does wonderful work at Nairobi, Voi and Ethumba in Tsavo and helps Kenya Wildlife Service(KWS) and many school children and of course the animals.
Other books by Dame Daphne are:-
(4) Elephant Diaries 1, DVD 2007
(5) Elephant Diaries 2, DVD 2009
(6) Protector of Giants, DVD 2010
(7) Born to be Wild, DVD 2012
Having born in Kenya, I enjoyed reading this wonderful book.
Read and ENJOY.

5.0 out of 5 stars What a truly wonderful story! A++++++++, 6 Nov. 2014
A beautiful story which evoked strong memories of the time that I spent in Africa, bringing to life the sounds and even the smells of this fascinating continent. Reading about the love and care that she has provided over the years to Africa's orphaned babies made me both laugh and cry. This was a hugely uplifting book that I have recommended unreservedly to all my animal loving friends and family. Thank you for sharing your life story Daphne, it was inspirational :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Daphne's love for her animals, 18 April 2015
This book is both completely heartwarming and heartbreaking all in one. Daphne's love for her animals, Africa and David is tangible and described in vivid technicolor. My only negative point is my outrage that David & Daphne Sheldrick are not household names the world over.

Utterly beautiful. If I could live in this book, I would. Best thing I have EVER read.

5.0 out of 5 stars I bought this for a friend who was born and ..., 16 Jan. 2015
I bought this for a friend who was born and lived in Kenya until he was 22. He is thoroughly enjoying this book as many places and people mentioned were part of his life...even Daphne Sheldricks husbands and brother went to the same school as he did... a few years earlier. A well written interesting book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Totally absorbing, 25 Dec. 2014
Read this book whilst on a visit to Kenya and visited the Elephant Orphanage for the 10 th time over as many years. Readings the book gave a whole new understanding to the remarkable work of the Sheldricks and the amazing nature of elephants. I was lost in this book for days and did not want it to end.

5.0 out of 5 stars Met young Eleanor and simply loved baby Rufus (the rhino), 9 Jan. 2015
Couldn't put this down as we used to live in Kenya, and always stopped at Voi (the original animal sanctuary) on our annual holiday with the children at the coast. Met young Eleanor and simply loved baby Rufus (the rhino), and have some lovely old, but not very good, videos!

An African Love Story: Love, Life and Elephants
An African Love Story: Love, Life and Elephants by Dame Daphne Sheldrick (Paperback - 3 Jan. 2013)