5.0 out of 5 stars Confidence to get a final interview
Published on 28 Mar. 2011 by boo

3.0 out of 5 stars Self help
It was okay but it's really just about him.There are better self help books out there with much more detail
Published on 12 Jan. 2013 by juliette kingham

5.0 out of 5 stars Confidence to get a final interview, 28 Mar. 2011
This review is from: Get The Job You Really Want (Paperback)
I have been lucky that I have fallen into good jobs but they have never been jobs I really wanted and applied for. I bought this book and the day after it arrived I was invited for an interview. I read and highlighted the section on interviews and went to the interview with confidence. I was offered a final interview - it was between me and one other person. I was not offered the job I went for but because I impressed them in the interview they have offered me a more senior position! This book doesn't tell you how to perform miracles but it explains the process and how you can succeed. I have been for lots of interviews where I am more than capable to do the job but got pipped to the post every time. This book helped me get this job!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent job-search advice, 8 April 2011
This review is from: Get The Job You Really Want (Paperback)
When I picked up this book I was determined to be unimpressed. I had a jaundiced view of minor celebrities producing books to cash in on their 15 minutes of fame courtesy of `reality' TV. Surely their success was down to looking good on the television rather than any real wisdom they possess? Well I have to admit, I was wrong. This is an excellent book, full of practical advice. Not only is James Caan a Harvard Business School graduate, he's also a very successful entrepreneur who made his fortune in the recruitment industry. He speaks both as a hiring manager and someone who understands how hiring managers think. This book is well written and easy to read and it is in a style that makes you feel like he's talking directly to you. James takes you through the job-search process step by step. He encourages you to be innovative and flexible in your approach. He explains the importance of packaging yourself properly to ensure you secure that interview. He stresses the importance of proper preparation to ensure that you give yourself the best chance at interview. He reminds you of the need to prepare questions for the interview and to show your passion and enthusiasm. He also provides tips on negotiating a good remuneration package once you've got your dream job. James Caan does know what he's talking about and at every stage of the process he helps you rethink the traditional and formulaic approach to job hunting. If you follow the advice given here, you will succeed. If you're looking for a job right now then this book will help you to find a job you really want. It is packed full of common sense job-search advice and I can recommend it as an essential weapon in your job-search armoury. Could you get this information elsewhere? Certainly! However you are unlikely to find a more comprehensive, easy-to-read guide, with advice of this quality, all in one place. Buy it, it's well worth the cover price and you will not be disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Game-Changing Book!, 21 May 2014
S. Engineer "Eowithrania" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
I've just landed my dream job and I literally couldn't have done it without this book. James Caan's straight-talking, practical and fresh approach to the entire job-hunting process - from deciding what you want to do to advising you on how to behave in that uneasy 'social drinks' environment - makes sense at every turn. When I bought this book, I was already following all his advice in the CV chapter, but when I got my first interview, I read the rest. Caan explains the importance of preparation and how to swing an interview so that you are in control the whole time. As a result, I got an assessment interview, then a third interview and even a fourth, so that by the end, I had been offered the job I really wanted, beating over 80 other people overall. It IS possible, and this book makes you feel as if James is with you the entire time, on your side, coaching you for every step of the journey. Not only does he take you through to winning that job, he'll also advise you on how to hit the ground running and impress your colleagues from your very first day. Easy to read, inspiring and truly amazing. I'm recommending this to all my friends, writing a blogpost about it, and sending James a big fat card for all his help! Do not hesitate, get this book NOW!

5.0 out of 5 stars Very useful!, 16 April 2012
This review is from: Get The Job You Really Want (Paperback)
This book can help you whether you are looking for job as a sales person, a scientist or a lawyer! I love it and found it incredibly useful for job applications (very good tips on CV, covering letter and interviews). Examples are included in the book which help to put things into context.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 14 Feb. 2011
Eliza "Marrobin" (Warwickshire, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Get The Job You Really Want (Paperback)
A straightforward, common sense, easy read about everything you need to bear in mind when looking for that illusive job. Whether you are employed,unemployed, a returner to the labour market or a new graduate, there is something for you. Thanks James

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book - simple, clear and very useful, 8 Nov. 2012
This review is from: Get The Job You Really Want (Paperback)
I received this book as a gift when I started job hunting after 2.5 years out of work, and it arrived after 1 excruciatingly bad phone interview for a role that I didn't get. It was an easy read, in chunks that I could dip into and out of as suited me, and it underlined why my phone interview had gone so badly - basically how inadequately I'd prepared for it. The book doesn't offer rocket science - it just breaks the various stages of interview down in a very clearly structured in a way that I found really helpful and digestible, and most usefully, giving insights from the recruiter's perspective. It changed the way I prepared for the next interview that I was able to secure, and for the subsequent 2nd and 3rd interviews for this role - and I got the job! There are loads of variables when it comes to getting a job, but after such a long time out of work I felt psychologically very ready for the interview process, and that was largely due to this book. I recognise that it won't work for everyone, but it worked for me (I got the 1st job I applied for having read the book), and so I'd definitely recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Top marks! Changed my approach to job hunting, 26 Feb. 2011
This review is from: Get The Job You Really Want (Paperback)
A fantastic book, which changed my approach to job hunting. Focuses more on your CV and interview, rather than finding job opportunities. I liked it because it changed my mindset and helped me understand what was important to employers.

5.0 out of 5 stars Obvious stuff for the 95% that dont get it!, 11 Jan. 2011
This review is from: Get The Job You Really Want (Paperback)
As a retired recruiter I must recommend this book to anyone who really wants a job, at any level. Whether you want a job or a new one.

Of course this is a small genre and I would say that if you think the concept is rubbish then you really need to read the book! Or of course you might be a successful person already.

James Caan presented his ideas on his recent CNN interview with Quest. He gave good examples of how to become competitive. And lets be fair, he has done well. This is not just some ghost or jobbing writer exercise.

Recruitment companies exist because 'punters' at all levels do not get the fact that they can (and have to ) do the work to sell themselves. A CV is just a piece of paper, however it is tweaked. Shop assistants, Administrators, Accountants, Actuaries etc have to take a really different approach from that used in their day to day work.

At senior level in all sectors the best people know how to do this... thats maybe why they are at the top.

5.0 out of 5 stars I read this when I had been to four unsuccessful ..., 14 Jan. 2015
I read this when I had been to four unsuccessful interviews after relocating and was having trouble getting feedback to see why I had not acquired the post. During the interview I went to after reading this, I took James Caan's advice and became more proactive in asking questions, which seemed to work against me, as one of the panel indignantly asked me, "Who is interviewing who here?" Mortified, I considered writing to James to complain after receiving my rejection letter, while ringing the employers repeatedly to try to get feedback. Then on Xmas Day, I received a letter offering me the job!

4.0 out of 5 stars Useful and Practical advice, 19 April 2011
This review is from: Get The Job You Really Want (Paperback)
It was a good book full of useful and practical advice - it is down to each reader to implement the advice. James Caan shares his unique insight as a ruthless employer and a person like most CEOs focused solely on their company, its objectives and why he would hire a person to come and serve the cause.

Most people will read this and be satisfied with their purchase - it is not a standalone book, but requires one to work through it and at the end no doubt refine notes, presentations and purpose.

All in all I'm glad I bought it.

Get The Job You Really Want
Get The Job You Really Want by James Caan (Paperback - 6 Jan. 2011)
Used & New from: £0.01