5.0 out of 5 stars Rock n Droll
This really shouldn't work. A series of ramblings connected only by the love of music theme, mentioning a large number of bands I have never heard of and being, at times so personal that it could be hard to connect with. Also there are strange decisions about how to deal with or write about people in his life- his wife, only referred to as speedy Sue and a range of other...
Published on 3 Aug 2009 by DN PERKS

2.0 out of 5 stars Gig
As a fellow Rock-star fantasist I looked forward to reading Simon Armitage's book. Unfortunately I found it a disappointing read. Maybe the subject matter is only for oneself.
Published 14 months ago by Jeff Newall

5.0 out of 5 stars Low-key genius..., 15 Oct 2008
This review is from: Gig: The Life and Times of a Rock-star Fantasist (Hardcover)
I bought this book on the strength of a great fondness for Simon's work and the desire to hear the shared experience of someone, like me, who is a frustrated musician. In fact, only a smallish part is directly about the authors concert experience... and the book is all the better for it and his definition of 'the poet as gigging artist'. It is the wry and comical description of the minutiae of middle England's [Australia's] reaction to the pre-eminent pop poet of the last ten years. This book is full of warm-hearted, poignant and downright hilarious [and I use the work advisedly] anecdotes and tales of the authors life and family - my favourite being the tale of the Armitage family chip pan and the various tales about Simon's dad. In common with Armitage's previous All Points North this is a set of beautifully observed and profoundly dramatised vignettes of life which are enriched with meaning and emotion in a way only he can deliver. I'm a fan and I think after a chapter of this you will be too...buy and enjoy....

Neil

5.0 out of 5 stars Less Is More, 28 Oct 2008
Strangely enough Simon Armitage and his band The Scaremongers, described within, have made one of the best 'records' of recent times 'Less Is More'. The only shame is that it isn't released on 45 and thus I can't put it alongside our mutual hero Morrissey on the jukebox.

That said Gig is a great read for someone obsessed with the minutiaie of pop music and its significance to 'normal' life. The poetry and Northern perspective is equally fascinating and enjoyable. Its a bit like reading Paul Morley - finding that many of the things he thinks are brilliant we 'share', e.g., my wife and I finally got to see Morrissey at the same concert in Blackburn, though being a couple of years older, sat in the balcony at the side of the stage.

Not sure therefore how universal the book is, but I really enjoyed it and am looking forward to reading it again.

2.0 out of 5 stars Gig, 7 Aug 2013

3.0 out of 5 stars Tyre Rolling Down A Hill, 17 Jan 2009
K. Hannay "kh014u5746" (yorkshire, England) - See all my reviews
This is not a bad read at all and often funny although I get the feeling that I have read a lot of it before. This might just be beacause I tend to keep an eye out for stuff of his in the papers as I generally like his articles and, definitely, his poems. The tyre rolling down the hill is the one that keeps coming back to haunt me, wasn't it in All Points North as well as in the poem about the tyre rolling down the hill? Also, as an old cynic, I find the nicknames for his wife and daughter a bit, not soppy, not sentimental but just a little 'precious'. Otherwise, I enjoyed it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Patchy but the odd flash of comedy, 22 Aug 2008
Peter Wade (Colchester England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Gig - The Life and Times of a Rock-star Fantasist

Simon Armitage

My interest in poetry is fairly low level, but I had heard of Simon Armitage, mainly because of a story he told about one of his books that he found in a charity shop.

He became a poet on the 13th August 1987, when he got a cheque from a magazine called ' Other Poetry' for £2.00

He was asked by the Independent on Sunday to see if he could re-pen the lyrics of 'When I'm 64' as Paul McCartney's birthday was approaching in April 2003.

He then went on to say 'Like vegetarians who eat Tuna fish people who don't like pop music like the Beatles.

He claims in the 'Houses of our Elders and betters' you can always find copies of Sergeant Peppers or the Blue Album tucked between Bach and Beethoven.

I am not entirely sure what the Blue album is, I presume he means the White album.

Like looking at old films that were ground breaking in their time it is easy to deride down the Beatles but they were revolutionary.

He is right because the music was a few years ago populated by middle aged people. Every-time a record came up they claimed ' is it the Beatles!!'

When he was on the road he found a copy of his only volume in a dump bin in the road outside a charity shop.

The prices was 10 pence and it was a signed copy.

Under the signatory in his own handwriting was ' To Mum and Dad'.

It is the saddest stories that I have ever read, about a writer and how later he goes to Iceland and to a place called Surtsey.

He says the world in clearly divided into people who have heard of the place and those who haven't.

One group who spent its childhood watching Blue Peter, John Craven's Newsround, public information films and documentaries about volcanic eruptions in the North Atlantic and another group who watched ITV.

A bit condescending but unfortunately true.

In 1996 he says that he was at a poetry society meeting in London and someone asked him to read from his book.

He suddenly notices it contained an expletive.

'There is a word in the poem I have never said in from of my mother before', he said.

From a cloud of pipe smoke out of the side of his mouth loud enough to be heard, my dad said, ' thank you'.

The rest of the book is mainly made up of concerts that he has been too.

A bit difficult to describe the music concerts that one has never heard of or music that one doesn't know.

There are a few funny incidents and I think that I have quoted them all.

All in all not a bad book, but really a collection of articles and funny incidents.

Gig: The Life and Times of a Rock-star Fantasist
Gig: The Life and Times of a Rock-star Fantasist by Simon Armitage (Hardcover - 3 April 2008)
Used & New from: £0.01