5.0 out of 5 stars Laugh AND Cry
It has been said that business leaders are distorting language for propaganda more than at anyone since the Soviets. For years, Lucy Kellaway has been writing about management gobbledygook and fads with insight, wit, and precision. Martin Lukes is almost more effective, in that it comes in the form of hugely entertaining, hilarious fiction.
Martin Lukes presents a...
Published on 2 Aug. 2005

3.0 out of 5 stars whatever floats your boat
I loved this book, I loved it so much it almost goes down in history as one of my quickest ever reads. This could be due to a few things, icluding:

The fact that the book is written entirely in email format, and being an office email it is always good fun and interesting to see things evolve through someone elses email.

There is a lot going on this...
Published on 12 Aug. 2006 by Mr. Stuart Lindsay

5.0 out of 5 stars Laugh AND Cry, 2 Aug. 2005
By A Customer
This review is from: Martin Lukes: Who Moved My BlackBerry? (Hardcover)
Martin Lukes presents a year's worth of emails written by the personification of the high flying, management theory victim. Helped by career and lifestyle coach Pandora, Martin applies all imaginable lingo and management techniques to both his job and family. The trouble is that all of it is divorced from reality, and doesn't help with the problems bursting forth on all fronts.

Half the fun is guessing - or knowing - what trouble each email is going to bring to the self-obsessed and self-important Martin. He gets up to more than his share of hanky panky, and all his messes come together dramatically for maximum humour.

Martin Lukes is certainly a perfect book to take on summer holiday.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cre-ovative(tm)!!!!, 20 Aug. 2006
This review is from: Martin Lukes: Who Moved My BlackBerry? (Hardcover)
Much as I felt that I'd aligned my personal values with those of my life brand, if you will, this book offered me a paradigm shift that helped me brainstorm a mindmap for an innovative, integrity-based reappraisal. Definitely 22.5 per cent better than the bestest book I've read before.

4.0 out of 5 stars An amusing look at corporate ambition, 22 Jan. 2006
Simon Withers (Perth, Western Australia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Martin Lukes: Who Moved My BlackBerry? (Hardcover)
I once read a book (Beyond Beef by Jeremy Rifkin) that claimed the level of bovine excreta was becoming a danger to the planet’s environment. Lucy Kellaway is a journalist who has long been concerned about this problem in the corporate environment.
Her creation, Martin Lukes, is well known to readers of the Financial Times. He’s an arrogant, selfish, self-obsessed, insecure and ambitious marketing director in the London office of a fictitious Fortune 500 company. By publishing a collection of his emails each week, she allows us to follow his rollercoaster career and personal life, and his adoption of every corporate and marketing fad that comes along.
Martin Lukes compensates for his limited intelligence and talent with unbounded ambition. His relentless clawing up the corporate pole and poor judgement often lead to disaster, but somehow he survives and moves forward.
We all know at least one Martin Lukes. That is why the column has proved to be both compelling and amusing. Lucy Kellaway, through Martin, also introduces us to a collection of recognisable corporate and domestic characters, and fires round after round into the mumbo-jumbo that passes for strategy and public relations in some companies. I mainly cringed, often smiled and sometimes laughed out loud while reading her book.
“Who Moved My Blackberry” is a reworking of Martin Luke’s weekly emails into a 13 month December to December book which, like a diary, tells the story of his life over a year. For those who read the weekly column in the FT, it could be a little too much. Whereas one column is an amusing weekly read in an otherwise dry newspaper, nearly 400 pages in book form is probably a bit much. The story has changed enough to make it slightly annoying to those familiar with the column, but not enough to warrant re-reading.
For those who have not read the weekly column, this will be an amusing adventure. The emails are short and are written in conversational English, so the book is easy to read in small or large doses. The characters are come across clearly and are uncomfortably familiar.
The reader must bear in mind that “Who Moved My Blackberry” is written from a British perspective. There are a number of amusing and very unattractive US managerial stereotypes – and none that are worthy of admiration. Having said that, the author is just as harsh on the British side and I can’t recall one character who leaves a favourable impression. Thanks to the Lord that Lucy (apparently) hasn’t come across many Australians.
The cover to the UK edition is an inspired work of art that sums up perfectly Martin Lukes’ work environment. If there is an award for Dust Jacket of the Year, this should be a nominee. For some reason, known only to the publishers, the US edition appears to have a different cover.
There is a bit of Martin Lukes in all of us. Sometimes I’m writing something that has a familiar feel to it but I can’t quite place it. The it comes to me: I’m writing like Martin Lukes! So I check myself and start again. And say thank you to Lucy Kellaway for doing her bit to reduce the level of BS in the world.

3.0 out of 5 stars whatever floats your boat, 12 Aug. 2006
Mr. Stuart Lindsay "Stu Lindsay" (Brighton UK) - See all my reviews

There is a lot going on this book, and imagination is key, as you get minimal background, and you have to do a lot of gap filling, but although the book is full of story the gap's are easy to fill, but I think that is half the fun.

A quick, easy, brainless read!

5.0 out of 5 stars brilliant parody of office life, 11 July 2005
J. Robins (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Martin Lukes: Who Moved My BlackBerry? (Hardcover)
I am halfway through reading this book and am gripped by the stomach-churning character of Martin Lukes, a man who demonstrates the worst characteristics of your least-favourite office colleagues. Martin has a monumental ego which tramples all resistance to his schemes for self-advancement. He soaks up management-speak like a sponge, and regurgitates it to hilarious effect. A great summer read.

5.0 out of 5 stars A hysterical account of corporate life told by email, 1 Aug. 2005
This review is from: Martin Lukes: Who Moved My BlackBerry? (Hardcover)
We follow the story of a life in the year of Martin Lukes a senior director in a mythical company A-B Global.
The story is told by emails from his pc and his blackberry. Clearly email is Martin chosen method of commuication as he uses this with everyone, from colleagues to his personal life coach to his family, even his elderly mother.
Whilst being painfully funny, it does make you look at what the emails you send, in the same way that The Office made you look at the way you behave in the office environment.
I will be buying the FT every Thursday to catch up with Martin's emails on a weekly basis.

3.0 out of 5 stars good for a giggle, 22 Aug. 2006
I know alot of people say "e" the original book in this genre was better but I say this one is not half bad and very funny in places. Anything that aims to prick pompous management speak can only be a good thing - goodness knows Im full of it! Also nicely highlights the rampant politics and agressive self advancement that seem to dominate any office with more than 2-3 people! Enjoy! -Maurice

3.0 out of 5 stars A quick, easy, amusing read, 26 Jun. 2006
It's possible that I'd have scored this one higher, had I not read the out sleeve first, which informs the prospective reader that it's an hilarious satire. A claim like that on a front cover leaves one expecting too much. The book is amusing and entertaining, it will bring a smile to your face and the middle email on page 347 may well make you laugh out loud!

I did find it genuinely amusing, it just wasn't the great masterpiece that its cover hinted at. It's certainly worth a read. I read it in one sitting.

It's a quick, easy read in which the reader learns about Martin Lukes and his life via the emails he send from his office and Blackberry.

You'll recognise the type and find yourself smiling, as you read his emails and his responses and reactions to emails from more successful, more capable colleagues, his clearly more capable wife, his neglected sons and PA and so on. Martin is the type of businessman who uses phrases like "horizon scanning", "tool-kit" and "blue-sky planning". He even creates his own word and trade-marks it in an attempt to impress the big boss.

This is the sort of book I read and enjoy once and pass on to a friend, recommending they do the same. An enjoyable read but not something of sufficient depth that you'd want to return to it again.

4.0 out of 5 stars Its a show stopper, 8 Jun. 2007
"The Secret Diary of Adrian Mole" was a massive seller twenty-odd years ago because it was not only funny, but it also allowed us to enjoy that that most primal of guilty pleasures; the reading of someone-else's most private thoughts. "Who Moved My Blackberry?" updates that pleasure to the 21st century, so instead of diary entries we get emails and texts. The main character who "wrote" the book is Martin Lukes and he's an upper-middle class David Brent...which basically means he has been promoted to a higher level of incompetence. Some of the laughs concern the failings of the actual technology (sending an email to the wrong person) but most of the humour is centered around the horrible, American-influenced, HR-Jargon that has spread through companies like an unpleasant disease, largely due to the sheep-like attitudes of most workers. It is a funny book (even if the story doesn't go anywhere) and it does highlight how overrun our businesses have become with incompetent buffoons with new initiatives, rather than with people who actually create something worthwhile. Read at your peril.

4.0 out of 5 stars Chill Out, 31 July 2006
I did laugh and did find the writing style and characterisation through e-mails (and deciphering the unseen text to which the response only was seen), as quite engaging. It is a quick, smiley read on your summer holiday which is maybe why I enjoyed it but I wasn't looking anything more, despite the cover notes bold claims of its merits.

Martin Lukes: Who Moved My BlackBerry?
Martin Lukes: Who Moved My BlackBerry? by Lucy Kellaway (Hardcover - 7 July 2005)
Used & New from: £0.01