5.0 out of 5 stars A Fantastic Read Together Compilation!
Published on 30 Dec. 2009 by E. C. S. Sanchez

2.0 out of 5 stars I have to disagree!
Slinky Malinki was the first Lynley Dodd book that I purchased for my daughter and I thought it was both beautifully written and illustrated and very amusing. If I am honest, I found all 5 of these stories to be pretty poor in comparison. The illustrations are still lovely, but the narrative is very weak with the possible exception of Rumpus at the Vet. Just because the...
Published on 11 July 2011 by TS

5.0 out of 5 stars A Fantastic Read Together Compilation!, 30 Dec. 2009
This review is from: Hairy Maclary: Five Lynley Dodd Stories (Viking Kestrel Picture Books) (Hardcover)
As always,New Zealander, Lynley Dodd, excells herself as both children's author and illustrator. In this fantastic read together compilation, these five brilliant stories about Hairy Maclary will provide hours of enjoyable shared reading for, be it between adult and child or child and child (my grandchildren love reading the books out loud with each other) - Lynley's written word sings and her drawings dance across the pages of your imagination!

This book contains: Hairy Maclary from Donaldson's Dairy, Hairy Maclary's Bone, Hairy Maclary Scattercat, Hairy Maclary's Caterwaul Caper, Hairy Maclary's Rumpus at the Vet.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hairy wins the day!, 24 Aug. 2006
Ms. E. H. Street "word_seller" (gloucestershire, england) - See all my reviews
As a year 2 teacher I read a huge variety of books to my class, but Hairy Maclary has always been the most popular. Great rhymes, stories, and pictures make for an easy and jaunty read, and the kids simply love joining in with the memorable repetitions. "Rumpus at the Vets" wins out as the most requested.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely Fantastic Book, 13 Oct. 2005
By A Customer
This is my 2 year old son's favourite bedtime book. The stories are fantastic and the rhymes are great. Would definately recommend this book especially if you like dogs.

4.0 out of 5 stars Hairy Maclary, 2 Feb. 2003
By A Customer
Having never heard of him, "Hairy Mac-Yary" has become a favourite. A month after Granny gave our two year old this set of five stories about Hairy and his friends for Christmas, he is requested by name every night. At least two stories are required each night.
Simple but enchanting stories in couplets - my favourite being the dalmation - Bottomley Potts (All covered in spots). Illustrations are captivating.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Fabulous Children's Gift, 14 Oct. 2003
Quite simply, if you like Hairy Maclary this book is for you. Lynley Dodd's Hairy Maclary series is pure genius, in my opinion. I get so bored with reading the same books a hundred times, but I must say Hairy Maclary and the gang never bore me. There are five stories in this book and they are all great. We particularly love 'Rumpus at the Vet'. I believe that he is an absolute must for any child's bookshelf.

5.0 out of 5 stars My 15 month old daughter's fave book, 29 July 2007
Mrs. E. M. Green (uk) - See all my reviews
There is absolutely no contest at bed time, this book is picked up and put on my lap everytime. Rhymes are so important for tots, alot of recent studies are prooving this now and this is such a fun book to read even if it is 5 times a night! I can't recommend it enough really, if you get it neither you or your child will be disapointed!

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb children's book, 8 Dec. 2000
By A Customer
We already had the "..Donaldson's Dairy" book, so wanted all the rest. Both our children (aged 2 and 4) absolutely love these stories. We have loads of children's books, but this is by far and away the best.

5.0 out of 5 stars "Look Mummy, a dog with a very low tum", 3 Oct. 2003
G. H. North "Gina North" (Hemel Hempstead, Herts England) - See all my reviews
Any book that can make my six year old come out with a memorable phrase like this deserves an award.
Instantly memorable with it's catchy rhyme and regular rhythm. A must for any reluctant readers. A regular at bedtime.
My Son feels he can read it himself, as he can read most of the words and can attempt to grasp the others.

5.0 out of 5 stars These books are absolutely magic, 9 Aug. 2008
Ms. P. Wall (London) - See all my reviews
Lynley Dodd certainly knows how to write books for children... I bought Slinky Malinki first, and my daughter loved that book from when she was 5 months old. I learned to recite it, in the car, at home, wherever, and she would always quieten down and listen... it became a good substitue for a dummy. All I had to say was 'Slinky Malinki' and all was good in her world!

My daughter is now 2 and we've had this Hairy Maclary set of books for a few months now and she adores them. She cannot go to bed without being read at least 3 of them... she evens knows when to join in with a big 'WOOF' (scarface claw). Her favourites are Rumpus at the Vets and Showbusiness. I prefer the structure of the rhyming in those two.. it flows better than the other ones - although Slinki Malinki is still the creme de la creme. The language and vocabulary in that book are out of this world. Exciting, funny, entertaining, educational and a joy to read.. what more could you ask for from an author?

5.0 out of 5 stars rhymes and repetition, 26 July 2005
my 2.5 yr old daughter has thoroughly enjoyed both of the H-McL 5-stories books. i don't mind reading them every night, unlike some of her other books that have had to be hidden. she enjoys the rhymes and joins in, and has caught us out with comments, for instance out of the blue one daytime- "miss plum did that" i hadn't even noticed miss plum whilst reading to her and it was only the second reading. she also loves the rhymes and likes trying to make up her own. however daddies sense of humour is seeping into her subconscious as bottomley potts is no longer covered in spots, he will permanently be covered in 'paint'.

Hairy Maclary: Five Lynley Dodd Stories (Viking Kestrel Picture Books)