5.0 out of 5 stars Artemis Fowl: the Arctic Incident
Published on 4 May 2003

3.0 out of 5 stars Okay
Loved the first novel in the series, but am rather disappointed by the second. Wading through the dense descriptions of fairy warfare (machinery/weapons/tactical manoeuvres) became a tad tedious for me - I wanted more of the plot to be driven by the brilliant character of Artemis. Readable, but won't buy the next in the series now.
Published 11 months ago by Mrs. R. Mayer

5.0 out of 5 stars Artemis Fowl: the Arctic Incident, 4 May 2003
By A Customer
Looking for a book to read that is unputdownable, with adventure, skulduggery and more twists and turns than the latest white-knuckle ride, yet will have you laughing out loud? The kind of book that you just have to read to the end, even if you have to read it under the covers by torchlight after lights out? This is definitely one for you then ... We (Mum, Dad,and 12 yr old girl) were all vying to read it at the same time, something we haven't done since the early Harry Potter books. We ended up huddled together, taking turns at reading it aloud, way into the night.
Young criminal mastermind Artemis Fowl is still scheming - he is convinced his beloved father is alive somewhere and is determined to find and rescue him. If he is to succeed, Artemis and his ever-loyal manservant Butler will need more than luck and must be prepared to risk all. But Artemis has a plan - after all, Captain Holly Short, Julius Root and the rest of the elite L.E.P.recon Squad are more than a match for most humans. L.E.P recon could rescue his father if anyone could but why should they risk their lives to help him? However Artemis isn't the only one scheming, and soon the Underworld is plunged into a power struggle. The fairies need Artemis as much as he needs them and an unlikely alliance develops between Artemis, Holly, Root and technical genius Foaly, the centaur. But when the going gets tough, just who can you trust?
This is one of those rare sequels which is just as good (if not better) than the original. It is well written, original and appeals to males and females, youngsters and older reader alike. A fantastic book - race you to Book 3!

4.0 out of 5 stars The best one yet, 29 May 2003
By A Customer
I have to admit- I was a bit aprehensive at first about reading this book. i had tried to read the first Artemis Fowl book but found that I, a 13 year old girl at the time, wasn't too impressed in a book that told about how one spoilt brat wanted to get rich by blowing up fairies.
However, I am so glad that I gave this book a chance as I found it totally different to the first.
This book is about Aremis Fowl and how he teams up with the fairy world in order to rescue his father, also called Artemis Fowl. However, when Artemis is involved things are never going to be that simple.
This book is jammed pack with funny situations, great characters and a plot with as many twists and turns as a rollercoaster.
You really feel for the chracters and you see a whole new side of Artemis and his butler, Butler.
This book is definetely worth reading but i suggest you attempt the first one first as you need it to grasp the storyline and to really appreciate it. I look forward to reading the third book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Supertastic Fairy Magic!, 7 July 2002
Sophie Thomson [16] (Lincoln , United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Artemis Fowl: The Arctic Incident (Hardcover)
I read the 1st Artemis Fowl book some time ago and had heard there was to be a sequel. However the release of the sequel came to me as a surprise when I saw it displayed in a shop and I bought it to read on holiday. I was not disappointed!
The book is full of fairy magic and fantastic jokes. There is a new depth to Artemis which emerges as both touching and equally cunning.The inventions Colfer creates are amazingly amusing however the ideas behind them are all environmentally correct. Favourite characters emerge for adventures in new places and new situations and you learn a little more about each character especially Artemis. The opening concerning the Russian 'Mafiya' is an excellent introduction to the story which instantly engages the reader in a mysterious plot. And the ending [though I won't reveal it] is touching as well having the key trademark of comedy. The code along the baseline of the pages once worked out reveals a message to remember... some advice from the fairy people.
A fantastic book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Eoin Colfer has done it again. Star!, 5 Jan 2003
miss ss wilson (Worcestershire, England) - See all my reviews
Colfer has done it again with this spectacular new edittion to the Artemis Fowl series. Watch out readers because the most unlikely people have joined forces.Artemis and the faries have come together to save Artemises father and stop the Bwa'kell goblins and the humans trading. Holly Short and Artemis Fowl have reluctantly put aside their differences and grudges and come together as a team, but don't forget the cavalry; Butler and commander Julius Root have tagged along aswell to make sure knowone gets hurt. In this wild explosion of a book there is not one moment when you are not on the egde of your seat. It's a fast, tongue in cheek book with some high teck brain cell busrting gadgets in it. Colfer the book magician has packed another mystefiyingly marvelous trick up his book writing sleeve.So get out you credit card info, get on Amazon and buy it now! YOU WOULD BE MISSING OUT NOT TO!

5.0 out of 5 stars an excellent read one that I recommend for the whole family, 10 Jun 2002
This review is from: Artemis Fowl: The Arctic Incident (Hardcover)
Artemis fowl artic incident brings the modern world to a whole new level with a little twist of fairy magic, like with the first book you have the very brave Captain Holly Short and the very wise Artemis fowl, however instead of Holly and Artemis fighting against one and other, they are forced to team up and find out who is supplying class a illegal contraband to the goblins, however Artemis has is own problems a few days ago received a e-mail from the Russian mafia saying that they had is dad, however Artemis knows that butler can not take out the mafia out a lone and decides to make a deal with the fairies which is he helps them if they help him get is father back. Personally I tattle recommend this book to anyone who loves a bit of magic with lots of tonge twisting comments. this book is defiantly the best magical book since Harry potter.

4.0 out of 5 stars An Unexpected Treat, 21 Jun 2002
This review is from: Artemis Fowl: The Arctic Incident (Hardcover)
Having received this book as a present I had no preconceived ideas about it and read it with an open mind. Although this is the second in the series and I hadnt read the first I found I could not put it down and I read it so quickly that the present giver has already bought me the first one to read aswell. The story is well written and opens up fresh ideas about the fairy world giving the reader a chance to enter another world. Although it was the second in the series I managed to follow the plot fully and although there is not a lot of discription of previous events I found this was not an issue. I would highly recommend this book for people who enjoy having their imaginations fulfilled when reading.

5.0 out of 5 stars brilliant-even better than the first one!, 20 Jun 2002
I really enjoyed listening to this tape. I left off even reading the first one until just a few weeks ago because I thought that a book with such good reviews could not possibly live up to them. I was very mistaken! It was so brilliant that I could hardly wait for this one to come out. How people who had read it immediately waited I will never know!
In this book Artemis is a year older than before and I personally think that he was more 'human' in this than in the last one. In this book we meet up again with all of the old characters and the sparks are soon flying between Captain Holly Short and Artemis.
This book is about the adventures the group get into in the Arctic while trying to rescue Artemis Fowl's father, Artemis Fowl Senior who was captured two years ago by the Mafiya in Russia after his ship was sunk. Besides this, while Captain Holly Short and her boss Commander Root(nicknamed Beetroot) are away and cannot do anything to stop it, there is a plot back at the LEPrecon base......
A thoroughly good read, I recommend this book to anyone between the ages of 8/9-120! You will not be disappointed by this book or the tape! Now go and buy it and stop wasting time reading this review!

5.0 out of 5 stars Courtesy of Teens Read Too, 25 Jun 2009
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
I didn't discover the delight that is the Artemis Fowl series until a week ago, when I read Artemis Fowl (Artemis Fowl, Book 1) in one day. So, of course, I had to pick up a copy of THE ARCTIC INCIDENT right away, to see if it was as good as the first. It definitely is, and in my own humble opinion, I think I liked it even better than the first book. There are points throughout the book where Artemis, now thirteen, shows a softer, more vulnerable side that I truly enjoyed. Don't get me wrong, he's still an evil genius, but he's an evil genius with heart, and you can't help but love him.

Now that Angeline Fowl is out of her depression, thanks to some fairy magic from Captain Holly Short, she's sent Artemis back to Saint Bartelby's School for Young Gentlemen in Ireland. Artemis is having quite a large amount of fun flumoxing the school's counselor, Dr. Po, when he gets an urgent message from Butler, his bodyguard/butler/majordomo--it seems that Artemis Fowl the First is alive in Russia, being held for ransom by the Russian Mafiya.

Young Artemis, of course, immediately sets out to devise a scheme to rescue his father. It's been almost two years since Artemis Senior was last heard from, and his son is most eager to bring him home. Before he can work out a devious scheme, though, he's visited by none other than Captain Short and her superior, Commander Root, and brought down to Haven City and into Police Plaza. It seems the goblin triad, the B'Wa Kell, have a human counterpart aiding in their smuggling, and Artemis the Second is, quite justly I believe, suspected of being that human.

The fairies soon realize, however, that this time Artemis Fowl isn't the bad guy in this problem. But now they'd like Artemis and Butler's help in figuring out who is behind the allaince between the goblins and the Mud Men--and Artemis is quite willing to help them out, in exchange for the fairies help in rescuing his father.

What follows is an action-packed story of good versus evil below ground, with deceptions, backstabbing, and revenge taking center stage. As Holly, Root, Butler, and Artemis race to save Haven City from being destroyed, some of the same characters from the first book make appearances--Foaly, Mulch Diggums, Cudgeon, and Captain Trouble. There's also a new foe in THE ARCTIC INCIDENT, Opal Koboi, to be dealt with.

I highly recommend the ARTEMIS FOWL series to anyone and everyone. Highly enjoyable, thoroughly entertaining, and not soon forgotten.

Reviewed by: Jennifer Wardrip, aka "The Genius"

4.0 out of 5 stars "He is alive, and I will find him", 18 Aug 2007
Sebastian Fernandez (Tampa, Florida United States) - See all my reviews
In the first book of this series Colfer introduced us to the genius-criminal mind of Artemis Fowl. The enterprising teenager was able to steal a fair amount of gold from the fairies, in his quest to return his family to its proper place and recover his father. But we also got to see a more human side of Artemis and understand that he was not exactly as he was portraying himself to the rest of the world. In this book these traits start to come out more and more.

We know that Artewmis' father has disappeared in an accident a couple of year ago and that there have been no news about his situation. In this book we are taken back in time to presence the moment in which a group of Russians fish a man out of the water in the Arctic Circle. The man shows sever frostbite but is alive and has personal effects that suggest he is extremely wealthy. Is it Artermis' father? Artemis certainly believes so. He gets a video via email that shows the battered man with a sign around his neck saying Zvdravstvutye syn (Hello son) and a request for ransom. He immediately starts the preparations to get his father back home.

In the meantime, closer to the center of the Earth, the fairy world is rocked. Captain Holly Short has been placed on surveillance following the unfortunate Fowl incident. She is not happy with this, but she is in the right place, because there is an attack by the B'wa Kell (the goblin army). The most disturbing fact is that they are using class A-human technology, which means that have been dealing with Mud Men. Holly immediately suspects Artemis is involved, or maybe she just wants that to be true.

These events throw Artemis and his faithful and skilled bodyguard, Butler, together with the fairies once more. All our favorite characters are back, including Captain Short, Root, Foaley the Centaur, and Mulch the dwarf. The action is fast-paced and there are plenty of twists and turns along the way. I think that the author took great strides in terms of character development in this installment and that gives him high points in my book. There is only one thing that bothered me and that is a fault I have seen many times before, especially in movies. Mistakes related to chess. In this case, the author trying to show Artemis' genius mentions that he beat a Grandmaster in six moves, which of course is silly. I should be used to these by now, but they still make me cringe.

This series is looking great, and I am already eager to read the next book. What will happen with Artemis in terms of his good vs. evil battle? I bet this is a question that most readers are asking themselves.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant-Even better than the first one!, 8 Jun 2002
This review is from: Artemis Fowl: The Arctic Incident (Hardcover)
I really enjoyed reading this book. I left off reading the first one until just a few weeks ago because I thought that a book with such good reviews could not possibly live up to them. I was very mistaken!It was so brilliant that I could hardly wait for this one to come out.How people who had read it immediately waited I will never know!
In this book Artemis is a year older than before and I personally think that he was more 'human' in this than in the last one.In this book we meet up again with all of the old characters and soon the sparks are flying between Captain Holly Shorrt and Artemis.
This book is about the adventures the group get in to in the Arctic while trying to rescue Artemis Fowl's father, Artemis Fowl Senior who was captured two years ago by the Mafiya in Russia after his ship was sunk.Besides this, while Captain Holly Short and her boss nicknamed Beetroot are away and cannot do anything to stop it, there is a plot back at the LEPrecon base......
A thoroughly good read, I recommend this book to anyone between the ages of 8/9-120! You will not be disappointed by this book! Now go and buy it and stop wasting time reading this review!

Artemis Fowl: The Arctic Incident
Artemis Fowl: The Arctic Incident by Eoin Colfer (Hardcover - 6 Jun 2002)
6.03