5.0 out of 5 stars A jolly good read
One of my favourite things about The Jolly Postman, as the subtitle of ‘Or, Other People’s Letters’ suggests, is that it really IS as if you were sneakily peeking at an assortment of letters addressed to others. This splendid children’s book follows the Postman of a fairy-tale land, as he spends a busy day delivering mail to well-known characters...
Published on 8 Feb 2004 by Victoria Craven

2.0 out of 5 stars It wasn't complete.
I think the description that it was 'good ' condition was an overstatement as it was clearly a well used library book. But my main gripe is that one of the letters (which is the whole point of the story) was missing and this was not included in the description. Plus it took ages to arrive. So all in all a little disappointed.
Published 6 months ago by Mr. Rj Underhill

4.0 out of 5 stars Brings back some wonderful memories..., 12 Feb 2011
C. Rucroft "The little bookworm" (North Yorkshire, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: The Jolly Postman (Hardcover)
I recently got this book bought as a present. At 22, it brings back some wonderful memories. It was one of my favourite books when I was little (along with 'dear zoo').

The thing I loved about it was all the little 'extras' - postcards, letters, cards etc. They make this book really stand out from other children's books and I think it's very hard to compete with.

It lost a star because it's a lot shorter than I remember (maybe I'm just greedy!) and it's quite delicate. I can imagine it may get ripped/destroyed by younger readers.

Still, a very nostalgic read and I can't wait to share it with my future children.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, 7 Feb 2011
This review is from: The Jolly Postman (Hardcover)
My 2 and a half year old was given this for Christmas after I remembered loving it as a child. He loves taking all of the post out of the envelopes and likes spotting familiar nursery rhyme characters in the pictures.

5.0 out of 5 stars kids love it, 4 Jan 2011
C. A. Mullins "Mullins" (Surrey, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Jolly Postman (Hardcover)
the kids love this book as its good fun to read and has loads to look at and talk about. There are letters cards posters inside the post. The kids love to pull them out and put them back in. There are a few things that make me laugh too. A great book to share

5.0 out of 5 stars Just as we remembered it, 29 Dec 2010
This review is from: The Jolly Postman (Hardcover)
This book was a firm favourite with my children who are now at university. I bought this for my baby nephew aged 7 months. He can start enjoying this wonderful book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful book, 6 Oct 2010
Aimz (Hampshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Jolly Postman (Hardcover)
I got this book when I was about 6, and still have it.
You get a glimpse of what the fairy-tale characters' lives are *really* like by having a peek at the letters that the Jolly Postman brings them. The letters all come in different styles: handwritten notes, postcards and a little leaflet for the wicked witch.
It's a friendly, funny book, with great illustrations and any child will love it.
The Jolly Christmas Postman is just as wonderful and fun, again with a surprise in every envelope.
Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars highly recommended, 13 Sep 2010
Mrs. Irene Copsey (uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Jolly Postman (Hardcover)
I can highly recommend this book.I originally purchased it for my daughters who are now 25 and 21 years old and have just bought a copy for my great nephew who loves it just as much as they did.Lots of fun for adults to read and can recommend all other titles by this author.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent interactive book!, 4 Sep 2010
This review is from: The Jolly Postman (Hardcover)
Fantastic book for pre-school and Key stage 1 children. The children can take out and read each letter the postman posts, which they love! A great book that will never go out of date!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great interactive story!, 3 Aug 2010
A. Macaulay "BookLover" (Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Jolly Postman (Hardcover)
I remember this book from when I was a young child. They used to have it in my school library and it wasn't allowed to take this home as it has smaller pages and books inside and they would get lost. But I loved to sit in the library during reading time and play with this book. Imagine my surprise when 20 years later I am looking through Amazon for gift ideas for my book-crazy 3 1/2 year old and find this! Still as wonderful as I remembered from all those years ago.

The little stories included in the letters, cards, and mini-book inside really bring this book to life. The story itself is very cute, it takes the journey of a postman through classic fairy tale and nursery rhymes. It includes Goldilocks, Jack and the Beanstalk, Little Red Riding Hood, Cinderella, Hansel and Gretel's witch, and ends at Goldilocks' birthday party where the postman goes home to his tea. The illustrations are adorable, and fit in a few more nursery rhymes (Hey Diddle Diddle, etc). The best part about this book in my opinion is it can be a quick bedtime story with just a glance over the included notes and postcards, or you can have a great interactive read by going over the witch's advertisements, the little book for Cinderella, and the letters.

Best of all (or worst! lol) and why this gets 5 stars.... My daughter asks for this every single night. Even a year after getting this book! It was so good we get it for her friend's birthday presents now. Would definitely recommend this for ages 3-8!

5.0 out of 5 stars A must-have book for every child, 7 Jun 2009
C. Clark (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Jolly Postman (Hardcover)
This is a fantastic, timeless classic full of surprises! I purchased it as my son's class were working on a play based on the book. Kids love pulling out the different letters, etc and this is a must for every child's bookshelf, it will never go out of date.

5.0 out of 5 stars Childhood memories..., 3 Sep 2014
This review is from: The Jolly Postman (Hardcover)
Used to read this in the library as a child- was very upset everytime as someone had taken all the letters out- such a good book. Brought x3 for my nieces who enjoy opening the letters and getting to know how the post system works (!) great book

The Jolly Postman
The Jolly Postman by Allan Ahlberg (Hardcover - 30 Sep 1999)