5.0 out of 5 stars A jolly good read
Published on 8 Feb. 2004 by Victoria Craven

3.0 out of 5 stars Great book, mediocre publisher.
The Ahlberg books are fantastic and I only give this three stars instead of five because the publisher needs to quality control. The printer they are using is mediocre. I have had three books now from the Ahlberg's with problems- a squashed cover that was glued on improperly, a misprinted page, horrible smelling inks- which is a real shame because their books are so...
Published 4 months ago by kc

5.0 out of 5 stars A jolly good read, 8 Feb. 2004
This review is from: The Jolly Postman (Hardcover)
One of my favourite things about The Jolly Postman, as the subtitle of ‘Or, Other People’s Letters’ suggests, is that it really IS as if you were sneakily peeking at an assortment of letters addressed to others. This splendid children’s book follows the Postman of a fairy-tale land, as he spends a busy day delivering mail to well-known characters from stories. The book is set out in the following format: one page contains a beautiful colour illustration of the character(s) involved, and the other page is an envelope, which the reader can open to reveal a letter. The rhymes are short yet humorous, and useful for children that are learning to read to practise their skills. An example of one of the verses is:
“So the witch read the letter
With a cackle of glee
While the Postman read the paper
But LEFT his tea. (It was green!)”
The envelopes are all different, and the decision of the authors to include a wide variety of letters (formal and friendly) is nothing short of ingenious. Each envelope displays the name and address of a character, and a stamp and postmark for added authenticity. The giant (of Jack and the Beanstalk) for instance, receives a postcard in an airmail envelope, from Jack. The wicked witch receives a brilliantly amusing catalogue from Hobgoblin Witch Supplies, Goldilocks gets a birthday card (with a one pound note inside), and Cinderella is delivered a charming mini-book of her life from a publisher.
The Jolly Postman is truly one of the most inspired children’s books I have ever had the good fortune to come across, and anyone who has enjoyed it like me may also like to track down the two other books in the same series, ‘The Jolly Pocket Postman’ and ‘The Jolly Christmas Postman’ (both of which are superb).

5.0 out of 5 stars A children's (and adults') classic, 15 Jan. 2004
This review is from: The Jolly Postman (Hardcover)
Every family should have this book. The Ahlbergs have come up with a book which which is a joy for children to read but also appeals to adults with its dry wit. The whole concept is fun and innovative - my 4 year old son loves the illustrations and getting out the letters although much of the hunour goes over his head! We need more books like this!

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best interaction childrens book available, 16 Mar. 1999
By A Customer
This book is really great for children. It cant help but keep your child's attention as they interact while you read. They can get the letter out of each of the envelopes and listen to what the different nursery rhyme characters have to write about. Lots of fun and put together very well. It's one of my sons favorites as well as one of my favorites to read. Great book for a gift!

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant !!, 10 Feb. 2002
This review is from: The Jolly Postman (Hardcover)
I think this book is just brilliant.
I first read this book when I was about seven or eight. I borrowed it from a friend and she told me I could keep it (I still have it now).
The pictures are of high quality and the story writing is just wonderful. It is a very interactive book due to the fact that it has wonderful letters in it which you can take out to read.
I'd definitely recommend this book, it is still one of my favourite children books now and i'm twenty eight years old.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best childrens book around!, 28 Nov. 2002
By A Customer
I myself had a copy of this book when I was a child and it is one that kept me amused for hours on end. The story is very well constructed and flows well, one that will keep even adults intrested. One of the highlights though is to be able to read the letters that the postman delivers to all our favorite fairy tale characters. I was actually coming on Amazon to buy it again as I have sadly lost my copy and would like to read it again! If you are looking for the perfect thing to keep your children amused, buy this!

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best children's books i've ever come across, 7 Feb. 2012
Helen: [...]

My eldest daughter (3 3/4) has just discovered this story. I have had it for a long time and kept it hidden as it is definitely better for children who are a bit older, in fact I think she is still too young and will get more out of it when she is 5 plus years old.

The story is about a postman delivering his letters. They go to many people your child might have heard of; the Giant from Jack and the Beanstalk, the Big Bad Wolf, the three bears, Goldilocks, Cinderella and so on. The more familiar your child is with these stories the more this book will be appreciated. All the letters reference the famous stories, for example Goldilocks writes a letter of apology to the three bears. The letters provide plenty of fun and a chance for lots of discussion, should you choose to take it. It is a great beginning for children to learn about in jokes and stories within stories.

The reason my 3 year old is so enamoured with the book is that as well as knowing some of the characters the letters are fantastic. Many of the pages have become envelopes, addressed and stamped. The letters are inside so she loves to take them out, open them look at them, put them back and so on. They are all originally done with different handwriting styles, different drawings, pamphlets, and official letters. She gets lots of fun out of looking at the book on her own and playing with all the pieces.

In addition to all this, the story of the postman is great, all written in rhyme, it is lovely to read, as well as to listen to. I used to use this book with my Yr 1 class when I was teaching. It was hugely popular and after all this time (15 years later!) I am still not tired of it. It has been fabulous to rediscover this charming book again with my own daughter.

Verdict: This is one of the best children's books I have ever come across. An absolute must for your bookshelf.

4.0 out of 5 stars A great book to use with a Year 3 Class!, 15 Jun. 2011
This review is from: The Jolly Postman (Hardcover)
My class really liked having this book read to them! Having so many different kinds of letter in one entertaining book makes it very useful for a week of letter writing in literacy! My only problem from a teacher's point of view was that the formal letters didn't have addresses in the top right corner.
My class really got a lot out of this and thought The Jolly Postman should be sacked for drinking wine then getting on his bike!

5.0 out of 5 stars perfect for a 3-4 year old, 7 Mar. 2010
This review is from: The Jolly Postman (Hardcover)
Bought this for my grand daughter who loves books with letters and postcards in them. This was recommended to me by a workmate who used to be a teacher - it was a favourite with her class too. It's not just a story, each section refers to a well known fairy story and the letters carry on where the fairy story left off. I love reading it to her.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful, 15 Nov. 2013
This review is from: The Jolly Postman (Hardcover)
My 6 year old grand-daughter showed me the school copy of this book( tattered by too much love) on Grandparents Day at school. She said it was her favourite.I ordered one for her and for my 4 year old grand-daughter, too. Meant to keep them for Christmas but couldn't!!! They were both so pleased! I suspect the books will look like the school one quite soon, and so they should. I really want to develop their love of books. Better now than Christmas when they will be busy with other gifts.

5.0 out of 5 stars I loved it, my little sister loved it, now saul will love it, 25 Jan. 2000
This review is from: The Jolly Postman (Hardcover)
Although maybe not for the very young it is a wonderfull book for most other ages evern at 17 when we got it for my little sister both my mum, and myself enjoyed looking through the letters and other parts of the book. It contains many of the fav childrens charactors and the rhyming helps them remenber words and so encorages reading skills.

The Jolly Postman
The Jolly Postman by Janet Ahlberg (Hardcover - 30 Sept. 1999)
Used & New from: £6.99