5.0 out of 5 stars This program WORKS! My energy is back! No sugar cravings!
Published on 23 Aug. 1999

3.0 out of 5 stars Great information... confusing book.
I found this book to be confusing yet educational. Figuring out your supplementation needs and schedule is next to impossible and even if you can figure them out you'd be taking dozens of supplements a day! I'd only recommend this book to people with some prior nutritional counseling.
Published on 26 Aug. 1999

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars This program WORKS! My energy is back! No sugar cravings!, 23 Aug. 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: The Diet Cure: The 8-Step Program to Rebalance Your Body Chemistry and End Food Cravings, Weight Problems, and Mood Swings--Now (Hardcover)
This book, and its author, Julia Ross, are teaching me a new way to eat. I've been on the food plan she recommends, and the supplements, for 8 days, and I feel so much better than I ever have before. I used to get really hungry 2 hours after eating, and start to *crash* within an hour after that; my whole life revolved around making sure that I would be able to eat something every 2 or 3 or hours. Most meals would make me fall asleep or get cranky. With the help of the suggestions in this book, I've learned what types of foods I can eat that don't cause any bad reactions. When I walk away from a meal composed the way this book tells me to -- 1-2 cups of vegetables, a little bit of rice, 4 oz of lean protein, a tablespoon of olive oil -- I feel full and satisfied, but not bloated or sleepy. I thought bloated and sleepy is just the way you're supposed to feel after eating! I can eat a meal and not feel hungry for 4 or 5 hours afterwards. If I do get hungry, I have a snack of raw nuts and seeds, or fruit. I don't have sugar cravings, my digestion is normalized, and I need less sleep than I used to. I'm getting reacquainted with my kitchen, and learning to create wonderful things in there, especially luscious vegetable dishes. It's definitely challenging to learn a completely new way to eat, but the rewards are worth it. This book supports your efforts with a really clearly spelled out eating plan and supplement program. If you're having trouble with your energy, digestion, mood, or weight, (or all of the above), read this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sound, inspiring advice, 13 July 1999
By A Customer
I've read through the book twice because I felt that the information was so important. I've never been very much over weight but after having two babies, at ages 39 and 41 (I'm now 43 y/o), I've started to store fat around my middle. I do aerobics and weight training so the rest of my body is very lean. I could never understand why I was only retaining fat around my middle. I feel that this book may the the answer to my problem. I've been a vegetarian for about a year and a half and have become addicted to carbs. I started following the plan almost two weeks ago and have lost one pound. I'm now at 104 pounds and would like to go to 98 - 100 pounds I'm 4'11" tall. I think it will probably take me a bit longer to lose since I don't need to lose very much. I'm very excited about following the plan and being able to finally lose my tummy once and for all. This is a very sound nutritional program that I can follow for life. The supplements really do stop the cravings. I'm grateful for this book and very inspired!

5.0 out of 5 stars Impressive book, impressive results, awful title!, 1 Sept. 1999
By A Customer
Julia Ross isn't kidding about "now." On the 2nd day after starting on the program that seemed right for me (counteracting bad brain chemistry), I got out of bed with no problem. By day 3, I was able to focus on work more than 5 minutes and had more energy than I've had in years. Two cautions, however: (1) the book is extremely well-written, but the subject is complex and takes time to absorb, and (2) swallowing that many dietary supplements throughout the day takes a real commitment. And contrary to a previous reviewer, I found her approach to vegetarians (of which I am one) very helpful and supportive.

4.0 out of 5 stars Lots of great info here, but..., 8 Aug. 1999
By A Customer
I am currently reading this book, and having read just about every diet or nutrition book ever written, I find this to be sensible and do-able. I haven't started the amino acid supplements, but intend to as soon as I finish reading the book. There is just one problem...there is too much "skipping around" between the chapters. I find that to be very distracting. I will probably read the book again, and take many notes, so I don't miss anything interesting. I can't wait to try it!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars My sugar cravings stopped immediately., 25 July 1999
By A Customer
In spite of her (I believe) uninformed prejudice against vegetarian diets, this book has a lot of useful information. Every doctor I've seen over the past 12 years I have been a vegetarian (and there have been very few) has accused me of having low iron, but my blood-work always checks out like a teenager's! Also, I breezed through menopause with nary a hot flash or mood swing. However, my vegetarian diet did not protect me from years of dieting before I became a vegetarian, and my uncontrollable carbohydrate (particularly sugar) cravings. This book helped me within 24 hours like it said. The author is a product of her own experiences, and I don't think we need protein in meat or animal products -- not ever. I've gotten the protein she recommends from beans, tofu, etc. I feel great, so I have adopted much of what she recommends. But no one has perfect information, so I recommend Fit for Life by Harvey and Marilyn Diamond as supplemental information.

5.0 out of 5 stars Makes a lot of sense and actually works!, 31 May 2000
By A Customer
This book is as much about the body's natural chemistry as it is about diets. The main thrust is that many "symptoms" taken for granted these days (stress, fatigue, cravings etc) can be aleviated in the short term by re-balancing the body's / brain chemistry via amino acid (+ other)supplements - which are mainly needed for the 're-adjustment' and can then be 'dropped off' as the body regains it's natural desire for healthy food.
The book makes a lot of sense backed up with examples, and certainly the amino acid supplements suggested do work !
It is not a 'difficult' read although it is over 400 pages and can get quite technical in places. On the whole, it should be on the bookshelf of anyone who is interested in maintaining or improving their health and well being.

5.0 out of 5 stars My cravings for candy and pasta are over!, 27 Aug. 1999
By A Customer
I have always been a big carbohydrate eater. I could eat pasta all day. I have been taking the amino acid supplemements for a week now, and I really don't want to eat carbs! It takes a day or two to get used to all of the pills, but stick with it because it really works. I am even losing weight, an added bonus.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hooray for Julia!, 5 Aug. 1999
By A Customer
I want to shout from the rooftops how thrilled I am about this book! I have been saying for years that fat was not the culprit, sugar was. But, try as I might, I could not give it up. I knew I was addicted. After years of binging, I tried what the book outlines and within 24 hours the cravings were gone.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great information... confusing book., 26 Aug. 1999
By A Customer

5.0 out of 5 stars I can sit in front of my old favorite foods and not want any, 20 Aug. 1999
By A Customer
The chocolate cravings are gone! The ice cream cravings are gone! refined carbs are not a part of my life anymore and I don't miss them. 6 weeks on the Diet Cure and I am down at least a size in clothing and I feel better than I ever have (EVER). Thank you Julia Ross.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›