on 24 March 2014
I just love these biographical books of Dirk Bogardes. He is a wonderful writer, his descriptive passages take you to the place he is writing about. He is honest and unassuming. I can read all his books over and over.
on 17 August 2014
I have heard some criticism of Dirk Bogarde's autobiographical novels and can see that they are perhaps not as frank as is expected today, but to me his reticence is characteristic of a person of his age and background. It doesn't detract from the extremely enjoyable story of his life, even though it is based around one of the sadder events. He is able to show the happiness and good times that he had in the past, and writes about the death of his friend in an extremely touching manner. I would strongly recommend any of his books about his life, he is quirky, jokey, gossipy and serious by turn, but there is never a dull moment!
on 17 September 2015
This is a stylish auto biography with the page turner factor of a novel. Mr Bogarde is an engaging writer who conveys his love of his home in Provence in such a way that the reader can almost smell the atmosphere and hear the mistral as it whips through the olive groves. The writing is up close and personal in its honesty and the writer's vivid description of his emotional attachment to his friends,neighbours and environments,good and bad, prove to be a revelation.
on 5 April 2015
Having read this several times before, I never tire of the beautiful way this book is written. The description of life in southern France enables one to be there, actually feeling the cool grass beneath one's feet! The characters appear real, as is also the sadness. If you love this book, as I do, try the talking book. Dirk's melodious voice captures the real essence of the story.

You will not be disappointed with either.
on 10 April 2014
A touching story, simply told, of an idyllic life lived in a beautiful place. Entente cordials is alive and well.
on 31 March 2014
Just a gentleman who reminds us all that it's never too late to learn to cook. And that life is for living.
on 21 August 2014
This is a book that you can put down and pick up at will.I felt almost there,I could feel the intensity of the Sun the credibility of the greatness of the emotions,happy and sad,Like I was his best buddy he was talking to.All in all a very good read.
on 25 February 2014
Mr Bogarde was clearly a talented man, and a charming one; compassionate, very bright, very incisive in his judgements, sentimental and affectionate. All of his virtues and all of his failings leap off the page in this final volume of autobiography.
on 1 March 2014
I have read everything he has written and enjoy it all. I bought this book to fill in my collection of his writings. Lovely, but also sad as it was his last book and he was in poor health.
on 27 October 2013
This was a truly great read. Very interestingly written story about the latter part of dirk bogardes life. All his autobiographies have been really good and I would recommend them .