5.0 out of 5 stars Ignore the synopsis!
Published on 11 Feb 2008 by M. J. Robinson

1.0 out of 5 stars Excruciating
Published on 10 May 2009 by Stick pins in my eyes

5.0 out of 5 stars Ignore the synopsis!, 11 Feb 2008
This review is from: Desert Places (Paperback)
The synopsis makes this author sound like some sort of half-wit, annoyed because living with Tribal people wasn't like a tourist hotel! Not a bit of it. What it should say is "Robyn Davidson expected the lives of the Rabari to be hard, but found them even more grindingly impossible than she'd expected". India can hit a white woman like a shovel between the eyes, and this book conveys all this very well. Davidson has the guts to stick out the difficulties and finds her place with India and the people she lives with. The anger, frustration and joy of travelling in this area come over clearly, and she describes the problems of poverty and vanishing resources with painful accuracy.

1.0 out of 5 stars Excruciating, 10 May 2009
This review is from: Desert Places (Paperback)
I read a lot and have never felt the need to write a review or post online about anything. However, this diary of a whining, spineless "traveller" (ha ha ha) just forced me to post something. Synopsis: "oh poor me they don't speak English and I didn't think to learn anything before", "oh poor me they are so poor and not nice, i thought they would all dance a lot and teach me things if I let them carry my bags for long enough" "did i mention my bags? or me? or how hard this is for me? or me?" etc etc etc.

Desert Places
Desert Places by Robyn Davidson (Hardcover - 30 May 1996)
Used & New from: 0.80