5.0 out of 5 stars The Need for Needful Things
Published on 24 April 2006 by CK

2.0 out of 5 stars Too too much
Stephen King is a very good writer - EXCEPT he just doesn't know when to shut the f*** up. All his stories start well and then lose their way in a frenzy of excess. This is no exception; King takes a promising story line to such a confusion of extremes that it is hard to know or care what is happening, and to whom.
Published 8 months ago by T. Crane

5.0 out of 5 stars The Need for Needful Things, 24 April 2006
This review is from: Needful Things (Paperback)
Well, what a page-turner from the very start! Flying from the Caribbean to Blitey I couldn't put it down. There are a lot of characters in this book which, at times, become tricky to keep up with but they all make for a thrilling read and are essential to the thickening plot. The compelling story about a shop that can sell you anything 'your heart desires' - at a price - whizzes along and by the end its quick, short chapters encourages you still to reach its conclusion (which I'm sure was a clever tool that Mr King deliberately used!)

I have been an avid reader of this author's style for more than 20 years, and this has to go down as one of his best.

5.0 out of 5 stars An Essential Horror Story..., 7 Jan 2007
This review is from: Needful Things (Paperback)
After reading The Shining I was very quick in wanting to explore more of Stephen King's mastery and see what his other stories had to offer. I managed to get a handful including Insomniac, The Tommyknockers, The Dark Half and 'Salems Lot. However the first one that really grabbed my attention was this story i'm reviewing right now.

Needful Things is set in the town of Castle Rock, Maine, and a new shop of the title's name has just opened, and folks are intrigued by what the store has to offer. Business is flowing for the owner Mr Leland Gaunt, but soon all these happy customers will find they are paying for more than just their possessions.

This story is fantastic in the way that mixes affection with the malice of the whole theme. Much like The Shining, there is almost an elemental of reality in here, and I find the concept of seeing how far people will go to have their needful thing just spectacular.

There's dozens and dozens of characters throughout each with their own identifying features including the three main characters - The Sheriff Alan Pangborn, the girlfriend Polly Chalmers and the charming yet mysterious Leland Gaunt - and with such a huge story its just manageable to remember them all.

Of course, since this is a Stephen King novel, the violence here is absolutely of the richter scale, old grudges come to heads, friendships fall apart and religious beliefs become more than war of words. The images are really good, spot on in fact, that it can paint an image of these scenarios in the reader's mind.

I think as I went through the book, I felt a mixture of happiness, terror, sadness and curiosity, but there was a moment where I didn't feel hooked and did not enjoy it.

Buy this now ! :-) after all 'EVERYTHING IS FOR SALE'

5.0 out of 5 stars Little shop of horrors!, 11 Jan 2005
This review is from: Needful Things (Paperback)
By far one of Kings best novels, I first read this when i was about 16 and when i re-read it this year, it was even better!
I love the continuity of the Castle Rock inhabitants and the intrigue, excitement and gossip the new shop causes is so lifelike in it's depiction of how a small town community would react. It starts off almost sickly sweet as Leland Gaunt and his velvet jacket seduces all of the towns residents. Then with a sudden sadistic twist theres suddenly treachery, murder and, possibly the best scene in the book, a graphic bloodbath consisting of two of the female characters and some very sharp kitchen implements!
Kings style is so unique and enthralling i couldn't put it down either time i read it. Combining fantasy and horror with some well known characters this book is a must read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Story telling at it's best., 21 Mar 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: Needful Things (Paperback)
What makes Kings books so good is the way he realises that horror is not all about having blood dripping from the pages. This story is a prime example on how to blend horror with other emotions to make the book fullfilling. I always like the way he gives a sense of mystery to what is a happening right through to the end of the book.
The story centres aroud a mysterious man who opens a shop in a little town selling unusual things. (who is he ?)Without giving the plot away let's say his pleasant exterior hides evil intentions which set the towns people against each other.The novel itself is a gathering of a number of smaller stories that all centre around this man and his shop. The ending fits in well which I think gives it its five stars instead of four.
If you like horror that is traditional and yet takes place in a contemporary setting you should find NEEDFUL THINGS meet your NEEDS.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brill, but let down by the ending, 1 Nov 2005
J. E. W. Jackson "funky_ben" (surrey, england) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Needful Things (Hardcover)
The book was great, and although the beginnning was alittle slow, once you get into it, there is rarely more than a dozen pages where nothing much happens. The ending I felt was rushed, and I felt that it was as though King didn't have much in the way of ideas.
Apart from that, I would recommend this book as the best steven king book aside from The Green Mile

5.0 out of 5 stars King At His Best, 17 Feb 2014
This review is from: Needful Things (Kindle Edition)
Needful Things is the reason I became a writer. I'm not sure if it was the first King novel I read, but it was the first book that captured me and didn't let go. I was about thirteen or fourteen, I think--maybe younger, I'm not sure. I remember picking it, with the help of my mum, and taking it on holiday to Spain. And then I spent most of my time on the beach, reading this book, gripped by the convoluted plot and its plethora of characters.

It's the story of Leland Gaunt, proprietor of Needful Things, and the residents of Castle Rock. Needful Things is a new store that sells everything and nothing, and many of the town's populace, over the course of the book, find their way inside the shop. There's something for everybody. Whatever they want, Leland Gaunt has it--no matter how random or rare the item--and for a price they can afford. But there's a catch: as well as a small payment, the buyer also has to play a trick on somebody. The first few tricks, organised and architected by Leland Gaunt, lead to the double murder of two women. Then, as the book progresses, Mr Gaunt manages to wire most of the town, through these "tricks", against each other, building into a massive, almost apocalyptic showdown between the residents.

It's an amazing story; intricately woven and filled with complexity, yet written with such simplicity and style that it never seems overly complicated. And it's the reason I wanted to write--hoping I'd one day be able to create something so sprawling and epic and satisfying, and know that I left the reader with the same feeling I had when I finished this for the first time.

Read this book, then read it again.

This is King at his best.

5.0 out of 5 stars My first King book...........and well worth it indeed!, 1 Jan 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: Needful Things (Paperback)
This was the first King I read and I was fascinated by the author's clever and intriguing plot, centering around a sadistic and evil man who opens a small shop in the town of Castle Rock, Maine. Slowly his smiling, pleasant and superficial demeaneur becomes more hypnotic and terrible as he gradually turns the people against each other. Whilst this book has its fair share of gruesome bloodshed, it combines excitement and suspense to produce a fantastic read.
Indeed, I went on to read Rose Madder and Pet Samatary, and I would definately recommend this to anyone with hunger for horror!!!!!

2.0 out of 5 stars Too too much, 23 Feb 2014
This review is from: Needful Things (Kindle Edition)

5.0 out of 5 stars A needful book to read!, 26 April 2006
This review is from: Needful Things (Paperback)
I really loved this book! It is only my 6th SK book, and I think it has completly stood up to the high standards I have learnt to expect from him.

I felt, at the end of the book, like I really know all the characters and was truly interested in what happened to them. At first I found it slightly hard to remember all their names but after a few chapters I got the hang of it. Although, as already said, it had a slowish start, it soon picked up and I couldn't put it down!

4.0 out of 5 stars One thing I have learnt about Stephen King..., 9 Nov 2006
This review is from: Needful Things (Paperback)
is to not base your opinion of his works on the film adaptations of TV movies. This is the third King book I have read so far and I plan to read many more. Having spent earlier years watching the usual TV and movie versions of his novels, I really wasn't that into him until I picked up IT for want of anything else to read. I was hooked.

Needful things is based in the town of Castlerock which I believe is the setting for a couple of his other novels to which he makes brief reference to in this story.

A new shop opens in Castlerock which seems to sell exactly what the buyer desires. But beware - your heart's desire always comes with a price...

This is a great book which reads at a good pace. There are an awful lot of calendars, buit King's style of writing and the relatively short chapters mean that you don't get bogged down by all the detail and you can enjoy the story that he expertly weaves. King builds up the suspense to an absolutely crazy mad climax which leaves you feeling quite exhausted but with the feeling you've just finished a really excellent book.

Needful Things: The Last Castle Rock Story
Needful Things: The Last Castle Rock Story by Stephen King (Hardcover - Oct 1991)
Used & New from: £0.01