4.0 out of 5 stars Controversial Fiction
"The Satanic Verses" is a novel which has been overshadowed by its history. Published in late September of 1988, it was on February 14th in 1989 that a fatwa was issued by the Ayatollah Khomeini against the author Salman Rushdie (Happy Valentine's Day, Salman). The claim was that the book was very insulting to Muslims, and the controversy itself caused many who had...
Published on 20 Aug. 2011 by Dave_42

2.0 out of 5 stars Unique, yet confusing and frustrating
Salman Rushdie's "The Satanic Verses" has polarised opinion to an extent almost unprecedented in the modern era. Some people have viciously condemned the book for its "blasphemous" references to Islam and confusing narrative, while others have applauded the novel for its unique characters and clever storytelling. In reality however, although "The Satanic Verses" remains...
Published on 22 Dec. 2009 by Mr. T. Pooley

‹ Previous | 19 10 11 12 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Super fast, 27 April 2015
Happy Thanks

1.0 out of 5 stars Incomprehensible Satanic Verses, 30 Mar. 2009
B. Quilliam (knutsford, cheshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Satanic Verses (Paperback)
I had prevously read another book by Rushdie and enjoyed it, but I found this one to be incomprehensible and gave up after a few pages. I am very surprised that muslims or anyone else got far enough into the book to be offended

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 15 Feb. 2015
Excellent.

5.0 out of 5 stars good seller, 23 Feb. 2015
Mrs. M. Vaknine "Jean" (u.k.) - See all my reviews
good book

5.0 out of 5 stars pending, 31 Jan. 2015
i really have not had time to get to grips with it yet

3.0 out of 5 stars The Satanic Verses, 15 Feb. 2013
I dare say The Satanic Verses is a book I did not much enjoy. I read it in a hurry and I need to read it again.

1.0 out of 5 stars Pretentious Drivel, 20 Mar. 2008
This review is from: The Satanic Verses (Paperback)
Well don't believe the hype. This book is the biggest pile of pretentious drivel I have ever read, whole passages are incomprehensible as to what the hell is going on, new characters are introduced every page making it impossible to follow whatever story there is. I would have been delighted to read a critique on religion as an atheist myself, but this book adds nothing but confusion. I can understand the death threats, after reading this I felt like murdering the author myself, not for religious reasons, but just for the pure tripe he had put in front of me and made me waste numerous hours of my life. Terrible, awful, stupendously bad, sorry Amazon but tell your customers not to buy this book.

1.0 out of 5 stars Confusion reigns, 30 Nov. 2012
I found this book totally inexplicable. I'm told it can be understood better following a little research, but I don't expect authors to make me work that hard. I struggled through one third af it before deciding my time would be better spent on something more entertaining and readable. Certainly not worth all the trouble it caused.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not fit for a bonfire, 11 Oct. 2007
G. J. Weeks (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Satanic Verses (Paperback)
There are few books which I have started but not finished but this is sadly one of them. The Muslims made a big mistake giving this the publicity they did. It should have been ignored. Do not waste time on Rushdie. He is not worth it. Sadly there is no option less than one star.

1.0 out of 5 stars A most confusing read, 20 Sept. 2010
This review is from: The Satanic Verses (Paperback)
I am not a particularly clever person, but neither am I a particularly stupid one, however I found this book totally confusing and unreadable (a bit like those Science Fiction books), the story jumps all over the place and it was impossible for me to make any sense of the characters, or the plot (if indeed there was one).

I read a lot of books and thoroughly enjoy doing so, I spend a fair amount of time in bookshops selecting my reading material and asking opinions of authors or books, but I have yet to meet a single person who had anything good to say about this book, the Fatwah for Mr Rushdie was well deserved, not for the insult to Muslims but the insult to book readers who paid good money to realise that they couldn't get past the first chapter, or if you were really dogged then into the second.

Seriously, and Fatwah aside, how Muslims knew that it was an insult to them and the Koran is remarkable to me, I bought the book because of the furore it caused and maybe that was the reason that it sold as well as it did, people bought the book to see what the fuss was all about, only to be very disappointed in it.

I felt like I was in a room and everyone was exclaiming how beautiful the Emperors new suit of clothes were and yet I was the only one who could see he was naked, and so with this book lots of people claim to have read it cover to cover but I wonder how many of them actually understood the book at all. if anyone did get to the end then it is them that deserve the award not Salman Rushdie.

If Mr Rushdie keeps publishing then I'm afraid that I will not be anywhere near the front of the queue to purchase them, however, maybe the most erudite Oxbridge amongst you will, and maybe he will even receive another award for such similar drivel.

‹ Previous | 19 10 11 12 | Next ›

The Satanic Verses
The Satanic Verses by Salman Rushdie (Hardcover - 1 Jan. 1989)