on 4 July 2008
For a long time I admired this book but was reluctant to spend £50 on it. I eventually decided I had to have it, was pleased to see it on Amazon for a bit less, and I am delighted with it. Once you have keyed something out eg. in Stace it provides beautifully clear and detailed drawings to check your ID. Or you can use the keys provided (I haven't done that much). Or you can look at the descriptions facing the plates, in which the key features are highlighted (similar format to the Wild Flower Key).
on 14 January 2009
Having worked on two county Floras as a recorder I found this book was used more at home beside the microscope than at any other time. I always use Stace Flora when out in the field but confirm my vouchers with this book. It was a gift and not one I would buy as Stace really suits my needs. It is an ok book for a beginner or student but will soon become unused in preference to other identification books.
on 11 September 2003
Probably the most user friendly book of its field(!?) Fantastic colour illustrations and detailed accounts of each species only let down by a somewhat difficult key. It may not be small enough to take out in the field but it includes vital information to make accurate identification - worth every penny.
0Comment38 of 40 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 14 May 2010
Remains the preferred reference publication for ecologists in a well presented and transportable format for office or field use. Illustrations are superbly detailed and the accompanying text is excellent.
on 27 December 2011
I first used this book on a conservation course I was on a few years ago and just enjoyed the images. It is a pricey book and buying it last year on Amazon made it a justifiable purchase with the discount. I don't often take it out into the field and when I do I make sure I try and keep it clean and safe in my bag, I have lost cheaper plant guides and it is not one I am prepared to loose. So it is not really I practical field guide but a joy to use with it's illustrations and the plant key is just a joy to use. I would defineately recommnend this book if you are going to look at the fascinating world of grasses, sedges, etc.
on 28 January 2010
I bought this as a present for someone who had chosen it already however she was impressed when it came as it was bigger then she imagined and had so many detailed pictures. This is such a lovely, useful book! Thank you
on 13 July 2010
Its a brilliant book for identification back in the office or in your own home, its not really suitable for taking out in the field with you as its too big and heavy. Being a botanical surveyor, I have found this book very useful especially when identifying certain grasses and sedges and its very good for identifying rushes. However, there are more preferable identification books available for more detailed plant identification of each group. Overall, its a lovely general identification book to add to your ecology collection.
on 21 January 2012
Colour Identification Guide to the Grasses, Sedges, Rushes and Ferns of the British Isles and North Western Europe Francis Rose's book is one of the recommendations for our evening class on botany, now that we have moved on to grasses and sedges etc. It gives the level of detail you need for the subject, though you end up with a book weighing nearly a kilo so it is a bit daunting for use in the field. But this is a fine book in its own right and a delight to use and just look at. If you just want something on grasses you could try the much more handy Penguin book by Hubbard, but that's just in black and white and I would miss the colour of Francis Rose.
on 30 January 2013
Great book. Lots of detail, really useful! and if you're like me and end up getting frustrated using the text keys the pictures are detailed and colourful enough to identify lazy-style by just flicking through. Pretty hefty for a field guide but you can't put a weight on the satisfaction Botany brings.
on 5 June 2013
Having done a course recently on wild flowers using Rose I was interested to follow up with another aspect of the flora of Britain. And what a challenge. Once my knowledge was limited to cultivated grasses such as rye, timothy, fescue. Now I understand that there are a huge variety but also their value to the fauna of the planet. The most abundant and widespread flora on the planet are critical to our survival as we eat so much from the graminoid family. I really enjoyed the brief read and look forward to exploring more on our surveys.
I recommend this great guide to for anyone interested in the flora of our country and once you master the classification system you too will enjoy learning more about the plant life we depend on.