This is an excellent book.

So far I have cooked steamed cod with ginger and spring onions, chicken with cashew nuts, stir fried pork with lime and honey and bok choy with oyster sauce.

Published on 9 Jan 2007 by K. Hill

3.0 out of 5 stars Dissapointing
Published on 22 May 2007 by ATB

5.0 out of 5 stars A cookery book you will actually use rather than just put on a shelf!, 9 Jan 2007
K. Hill (London, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Simple Chinese Cooking (Hardcover)
This is an excellent book.

Not only are the dishes very simple to prepare but they taste exactly as if you had ordered in an expensive chinese restaurant. I have never been able to recreate that authentic taste before now.

And the best bit is that with a short shopping list of essentials - oyster sauce, sherry, nut oil, garlic ginger and spring onions you will be able to make a whole host of incredibly varied dishes.

I heartily recommend this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best chinese cookery book I have ever come across, 23 Feb 2007
This review is from: Simple Chinese Cooking (Hardcover)
I don't ever write reviews about the books I buy - it is just not something I can ever be bothered to do. However, I feel so excited about this book that I felt I had to write something. I buy so many books and sometimes one comes along where you look at the photos and read the receipe and you get that rush where you can't wait to get in the kitchen. This is one of those books.

I got this book one week ago when my 16 year old stepson came for the weekend - he read it and on Sunday made the most incredible feast - corn soup, prawn toast, honey chicken, egg fried rice, chinese leaf in oyster and deep fried green beans with chilli. I can honestly say that I have spent a lot of money on food that doesn't compare (or smell as good) in restaurants. My stepson has now begged me to buy him his own copy and I cannot wait to try more this weekend.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic book, 27 April 2009
Marble Barbie (Peterborough, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Simple Chinese Cooking (Hardcover)
Have tried about 7 of the recipes and use them over and over again. Really tasty food and simple, easy to follow recipes.

4.0 out of 5 stars a book to cook from!, 17 Oct 2007
An ordinary mum (Aberdeen, Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Simple Chinese Cooking (Hardcover)
This is a beautiful book with so many recipes I felt I wanted to cook. So far, deep fried tofu with black bean and chili sauce was absolutely yummy, and the honey soy chicken was really tasty too. There is a little bit of repetition - pork in black bean, chicken in black bean, beef in black bean, fish in black bean - but so many other great recipes you don't feel hard done by. Individual tastes, too, not just stir-fried whatever. A great, accessible introduction to chinese cookery.

3.0 out of 5 stars Dissapointing, 22 May 2007
This review is from: Simple Chinese Cooking (Hardcover)
I was looking forward to this book but I was quite dissappointed. It is a nice book, well written and well presented with plenty of photographs and very easy to follow recipies. However it is quite repetitious, there are several recipe ideas that are repeated with different meat/fish as the base. I can understand giving one recipe and then variations but this smacks of padding. The recipies are generally good but for a book of this size and price I would have expected much more depth.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great!, 27 Feb 2009
Mrs Don (Newcastle, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Simple Chinese Cooking (Hardcover)
I love this book, As a huge fan of chinese food I never thought I could make any that would be as nice as in a restaurant until I was given this book as a gift.

Although the recipes dont taste exactly the same as a restaurant, this is by no means a bad thing! I love the recipe for Kylie's Mothers Fried Rice and I use this as an accompniment for many dishes, not even necessary chinese ones.

The recipes are very easy to follow, and once you have bought the basics of the storecupboard ingrediants your all set.

I have several other chinese cookbooks and I always come back to this one, its a great addition to any Kitchen.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great results, 28 Jan 2009
This review is from: Simple Chinese Cooking (Hardcover)
This book delivers results. Its simple, easy to follow and so far after about ten recipes, each one has been a winner. True, there is repetition in the types of treatment meted out to the different main ingredient, but importantly this is a how to manual and repitition gives a great feeling for how to devise and cook beyond the recipe book itself, and so I would almost be tempted to say this is a starter's guide to chinese cooking. One word of advice however, is that I have used the book in Australia and the UK. In the UK the seafood and fish generalll available are not of the same fresh quality as in Australia. If you make seafood in the UK go to a reliable fish-monger or you will be disappointed. Another thing that is important too is that the recipes presuppose freshness and quality with ingredients. Kwong does not use MSG (food flavour enhancer) at all, which is in contrast to much chinese cooking - her reasoning is that MSG is there to help less the fresh ingredients.

ARRAY(0x104ff0c0)

Simple Chinese Cooking
Simple Chinese Cooking by Kylie Kwong (Hardcover - 1 Feb 2007)
Used & New from: 8.36