Format: Paperback|Change

on 20 September 2010
Twelve prayers from the Old Testament offering fresh insight and opening up concepts of prayer often ignored, forgotten or never even experienced by believers who think prayer is simply closing your eyes, bowing your head and talking to God. Abraham negotiates, Moses stands between God and his people, David makes demands, Solomon has a wish list and Job straddles the territory between throwing over the system and continuing in the system while still demanding that the system must work. A breath of fresh air for those seeking what the Old Testament might say today rather than what it might have meant yesterday.
on 19 October 2015
I read anything written by this man that I can lay my hands on. (And also by the other Walter – Walter Wink. While this wasn’t one of my favourites, it gave me considerable pause for thought.

Whereas Christians tend to grovel a bit and pray that ‘if it be thy will….’ the great men and women of the Old Testament, and Jews today, make demands rather than requests and argue that ‘if it isn’t your will then it ought to be’.

When Abraham prays for the cities of the plain, he haggles. He does this in the Qur’an too – so the God of Islam is not so remote as many Muslims believe – you only have to note the similarity of the Arabic with the Hebrew.

I got fed up with the repeated use of the tetragrammaton
on 27 November 2014
Was so useful for my studies and it contained much inspiration.