4.0 out of 5 stars Useful introductory guide for the serious self-student
Teach Yourself Project Management is a useful and detailed introductory guide for people serious about learning project management. Although it's not an academic book, the focus is definitely on getting to grips with the whole subject of project management, rather than being a 'how-to' guide for managing your current problem project.
Real project management skills...
Published on 24 Aug 2005 by Martin Turner

3.0 out of 5 stars 50/50 on this book!
Not really sure if has helped me really, there's so much to read, I'm new to project management and am using this book as a guideline while doing our kitchen. It's still an open verdict, to be honest.
Published 12 months ago by Isamba Thomas

4.0 out of 5 stars Useful introductory guide for the serious self-student, 24 Aug 2005
Martin Turner "Martin Turner" (Marlcliff, Warwickshire, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)
Real project management skills are at a premium in most of the organisations I have worked in. In the current IT saturated world, I tend to find about ten people who have Microsoft Project (in itself an excellent program) on their computers for every one person who actually knows about project management as a discipline. This doesn't, of course mean, that they are necessarily bad at managing the projects they work on, but it does mean that they will struggle to transfer their project skills to a different kind of project.
My organisation took on a couple of consultants on a semi-permanent basis as specialist project managers. I spent yesterday afternoon with one of them going through a fairly major project we are working on. Without using any kind of software at all, he took me through all the key factors that would make or break us. Project management was completely ingrained into his system.
I aspire to be like him.
This book is certainly not going to take me to that level. But it has given me a solid grounding in the techniques, the terminology, and the overall approach.
I suppose there is somewhere out there a better, more useful, clearer and more concise book than this on the subject. But, until I find it, I shall continue to cheerfully recommend this one.

3.0 out of 5 stars 50/50 on this book!, 6 July 2013

Project Management (Teach Yourself (McGraw-Hill))
Project Management (Teach Yourself (McGraw-Hill)) by Philip Baguley (Paperback - 1 April 2000)
Used & New from: 0.01