Format: Paperback|Change

on 26 June 2013
Literally, because I'm recovering from a fractured pelvis after a fall from my bike. But this is still a very entertaining read, particularly if like me you're a mid-life cyclist with more money than talent and like to share in the general absurdity of a cycling obsession.
on 2 February 2014
After returning to cycling after a few years break this was an excellent gift for my 50 something husband. He said he could relate to a lot of this and laughed out loud many times at some of it. It is now doing the rounds among the rest of the 50 something group, excellent purchase, he couldn't pit it down!!
on 8 February 2016
Started of ok, yes some amusing moments as novice cyclists, we have all fallen off, got lost, run out of steam but surely if you want to progress in any hobby you take advice, join a club, listen to others, maybe that way you do not keep making the same mistakes.
One sweeping statement about the horrors of French motorists, raised my eyebrows, as someone that has led many ''club'' trips to France over the years to watch Le Tour,i have nothing but praise for the patience shown by car drivers as i led large groups around their country.
A whole chapter on borrowing a girls bike for a ride in Belgium bored me silly, in these days of internet blogs and advice there are many who would have told the authors to go down to the local DIY, get some pipe lagging and tape, buy a bike bag, problem solved, i think the authors liked to create problems just for something to write about.
I have just moved to Bexhill-on-Sea and wanted to get cycling in the area, so i have two choices, wander around aimlessly like our authors or join a local club that now gives me rides on four days a week,(great if you only have so much time) advice on bike shops, good routes, companionship, oh and some organised trips abroad.
If you wanted to take up sailing, would you really just buy a boat and set out to sea?...................
on 4 April 2013
I really enjoyed this book as middle aged cyclist myself.
As I read it I thought "oh yes, been there done that, tick another box". A great read, carry on and buy more gear.
on 9 December 2012
I took a punt on this and I'm glad I did as it was a real giggle. With all the books recently published about Team Sky and Wiggins etc, it was a pleasant change to read a cycling book which doesn't take itself too seriously. Recommended.
on 25 August 2013
I've just laughed my way through this masterpiece. It was either written about me, or possibly (not really) even BY me! Anyone who has got into, got back into, or even never dropped out of cycling, and is of a certain age, should read this, if only to realise how daft me might appear to non cyclists the same age as ourselves. A outstanding read.
on 5 November 2013
Read this one afternoon whilst incapacitated by a bad back - took my mind off the pain and set my middle aged thoughts on taking a year off and completing all the cycling tour classics at once. Training is now ahead of schedule because even though I have not been able to sit in the same position for more than 5-minutes without experiencing excruciating sensations from the decrepit discs in my spine; this is a mere trifle since being laid up has allowed plenty of opportunity to scour the internet and get ahead of the programme in procuring all the best gear. Thank you Chris and Neil for providing the motivation I needed to get on the rivet, put the hammer down and become a Giant of the Road.
on 20 April 2014
Brilliant book written in two parts by two young boys in adult clothing. Proves that ignorance is bliss as the launch themselves into a host of cycling adventures that builds their friendship to higher levels.
on 18 November 2013
Very entertaining and lots of laughs and comparisons as a fellow mid life cyclist
Made my mid life cycling mind set all the more understandable and that I'm not alone in the world
on 14 August 2014
Don't read this book if you are uptight, take everything seriously and have no sense of humour. If you are then you will probably give this book a bad review. I however took it for what it is, just a bit of tongue and cheek humour that many could probably relate to. There no great epic ending, just a pie in the sky dream but that doesn't matter, it just underlines the true reality of the masses. I found it hard to put down and found I'd finished it very quickly. A great light funny read.