This excellent book is useful and relevant both as a reference work and as a coursebook.

In addition to being the definitive compendium of music theory as it relates to Jazz usage, it also contains exercises for the student that can be used in the classroom as a supplementary teaching tool or even as a full blown course of study in itself.

There are...
Published on 21 July 2012 by J. Brent

1.0 out of 5 stars Errors within Book
Quite a few mistakes within the chord charts and other areas, a great effort, but proof reading seems to have been overlooked and there are better books out there, so would strongly advise you to overlook this one.
Published 7 hours ago by Kris

5.0 out of 5 stars Poised to become the standard Jazz Theory text of the 21st century, 21 July 2012
J. Brent - See all my reviews
This review is from: Jazzology: The Encyclopedia of Jazz Theory for All Musicians (Paperback)

There are hundreds of musical examples to flesh out the principles and topics covered in the text.

The material is well paced and in a logical order. The uncrowded look of the page layouts aids considerably in making this vast amount of technical material easily digestible for learners of any level. This extremely deep book is certainly poised to become the standard Jazz Theory text of the 21st century.

Jeff Brent
author of Modalogy - scales, modes & chords: the primordial building blocks of music
(music theory / Hal Leonard 2011)

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous Jazz Theory Book, 13 Oct 2005
Andrew Wilson "Ampersandrew" (Belfast, UK) - See all my reviews
I've only just got the book, so these are my first implressions.
I'm really impressed with this. It's beautifully printed and bound with that really nice binding system that O'Reilly use for their technical books so it stays open and lies flat.
The contents are very well written and explain things simply without being condescending. I've been reading quite a few different books on intervals and chord construction recently, this is by far the best I've come across.
The writers seem to have struck a good balance between a readable tutorial and a useful reference. I really like the format and the exercises that are liberally sprinkled all through the text look very useful . I have the feeling this is going to be keeping me very busy for the next couple of months.
I can't recommend this highly enough.

4.0 out of 5 stars A book for everyone., 12 Jun 2010
Raymond Liu (London, UK) - See all my reviews
If you're already a hard-core jazz theory know-it-all, then you probably don't need this book. It doesn't have much in the way of advanced material.

But, this brilliant and well-structured book does cover a lot of material from beginner to intermediate-advanced, and any and every jazz enthusiasts, except perhaps the high-flying professionals, would have a lot to gain from it.

The structure of the book is more in the style of a reference, rather than a tutorial. I found this quite nice, since I can always find exactly what I'm looking for in the table of contents, and avoid reading over stuff I already know. If you're a more entry-level player, and would like a more tutorial-style book, I recommend the "Jazz Piano Book" by Mark Levine. "Jazz Piano Book" does cover less material than this one though.

If there is any room for improvement, I would say that it would have been helpful to see a list of essential listening that the authors recommend, much like the one included in the "Jazz Piano Book".

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing book, 14 Jan 2012
I've got more than ten jazz theory books and this is the only one I really need... It's remarkably user-friendly!!

5.0 out of 5 stars By far the best book I have EVER used for Jazz Theory, 19 July 2011
I have investigated Jazz Theory with many books and although each is diverse and provides it's own unique offerings, none have come up as hign as this one in my expectations. The author is cleary an expert in Jazz Theory and this books includes all the charts for chords, scales, chord progressions, intervals, modes and everything you could ever require for Jazz Theory. A must buy for everybody regardless of their experience.

5 Stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, 18 Aug 2009
O. Dairo (London) - See all my reviews
This book is a real help for all serious aspiring jazz muscians. Although it is catered for the piano, as a guitar player, i have found the methods extremley usefull. I have read a few chapters and feel my knowledge has widen considerably.
i think the book is best read slowly in order to digest and learn the information. You can also make use of the excersises to help develop your musical theory. This book is not a magically method book, it is a an proper music education for those wanting to take time to learn their craft.

5.0 out of 5 stars Jazzology, 8 Nov 2013
I bought this book along side the Little Book of Music Theory and Musical Terms.
I taught myself music theory when I was 9, and recently (I am now 19), I decided to test me knowledge and extend it! I bought this book mainly because I play jazz but also because I like to read about harmonies as I write music too. This book isn't just good for Jazz musicians but composers.

However. There are some difficult terms in here, so if you aren't an experienced musician/composer, I would suggest the Little Book of Music Theory until you're comfortable.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Definitive Book!, 4 Oct 2010
This book is amazing! It will take your knowledge, appreciation and understanding of music to another level. The amount of alternative chords revealed are worth the price alone. The chapter on reharmonization is especially in depth (Coltrane Subs anyone?). The only reservation I would potentially have is that it would be unsuitable for beginners as the concepts introduced are definitely advanced. But seeing as that doesn't apply to me all i can say is the book rocks, or should I say, prog-rocks! ahem!

4.0 out of 5 stars Almost perfect......, 30 Sep 2009
I got this book a while ago and have been working through it. I have been doing the exercises too for the practice. Only problem is that there are mistakes in the answer key at the back. Chapter 3 question 2 or 3,(can't remember which exactly) B mixolydian has been called B lydian. To anyone who has this book please check to see that it is there. The problem with this is that if ther is a mistake here on a fairly simple exercise then where else are there mistakes? I would have given all five stars otherwise because the main body of the book is excellent and very well thought out, a shame really.

4.0 out of 5 stars An excellent reference book., 20 Oct 2013
If you are interested in jazz and need a starting point to find information, this book is a good place to start.

Jazzology: The Encyclopedia of Jazz Theory for All Musicians
Jazzology: The Encyclopedia of Jazz Theory for All Musicians by Nor Eddine Bahha (Paperback - 1 July 2005)