4.0 out of 5 stars A Thorough Tour of the Whole Fretboard
Published on 19 Nov 2008 by Chris Downing

2.0 out of 5 stars Not really useful
It's not really a decent fret book as it just gives you a proportion of what you need from begginer to advanced
Published 18 months ago by Mangoman

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars A Thorough Tour of the Whole Fretboard, 19 Nov 2008
Chris Downing "Chris Downing" (Chippenham, Wilts England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Guitar Fretboard Workbook (Paperback)
This is a huge masterclass on everything to do with finding all the notes in every position, their relationship to each other, creating scales in all positions and chords of just about every type. If you don't have a book on scales and chords, construction and theory - well this is it. I can't imagine you'd want much more. I'd join this up with Jimmy Brunos 6 scales book and DVD Six Essential Fingerings for the Jazz Guitarist (Jimmy Bruno Jazz Guitar)Jimmy Bruno, No Nonsense Jazz Guitar I think then you'd have a really good set of study work to go at. Don't worry about the books and DVDs being called jazz because they aren't really jazz at all - just everything you should know about scales. Trust me - I'm a guitar teacher.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Simply Amazing Guide, 23 Aug 2009
R. Woodland (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Guitar Fretboard Workbook (Paperback)
This book is living up to what other reviewers have said and I wish I could have found a tutor like this a long time ago. I've never found self-tuition easy, but when I reach the back cover of this workbook I know I will have achieved something - a mastery of the guitar fret board that has always eluded me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 12 Feb 2009
Kit (Devon UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Guitar Fretboard Workbook (Paperback)
This book is a must for anyone serious about learning their fretboard. Having just been badly disapointed in another book this was a breath of fresh air; clearly explained, well produced and worth it's weight in gold.

5.0 out of 5 stars A real masterclass, 7 Feb 2012
isis 1958 (Pendle) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Guitar Fretboard Workbook (Paperback)
Having played guitar for many years, I have to admit to having a great hole in my knowledge when it came to the fretboard. Sure, I learned stuff, by ear or by patterns, but I never really learned about the fretboard. Now that I've begun to learn it, I realise I am not alone.

This book is a masterclass.

What it is not - it is not really a playalong book in any sense of the word.

What it is, is a series of exercises that will really enable anyone who sticks with it to have a really good understanding of the fretboard on the guitar. However, it is much more than that, there's a wealth of music theory contained within it that goes way beyond the guitar. But it's subtle, simple in it's explanation, deep in terms of what it will give you in terms of understanding.

There are lots of exercises to do. All the answers are at the back for checking. It takes a bit of personal discipline to work at it, but by doing a bit at a time it doesn't become a chore and my all round knowledge and playing is improving.

Like others have said, there are a lot of disappointing books out there, this stands head and shoulders above most of them.

5.0 out of 5 stars A MUST HAVE, 30 April 2009
Dark Horse 85 (Liverpool, England.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Guitar Fretboard Workbook (Paperback)
The 'Guitar Fretboard Workbook' is a good, comprehensive book for beginners, intermediate & advanced guitarists.

It will build a solid foundation of music theory for the beginner & will strengthen the walls of the intermediate & advanced guitarist. Just flicking through this book I could see it was good at first glance. Clear diagrams, conversational & accessible text, comprehensive subject matter. This workbook is like Nintendo Brain Training for guitarists. It will keep you on your toes and sharpen up your skills.
I rate myself as more of an advanced guitarist and I found this book very useful including the basic chapters which refreshed my knowledge.

I suggest completing 1-2 chapters each day until you complete all 22. Trust me, its worth it.
I highly recommend this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent for beginners, 5 Oct 2009
J. L. Testa (Ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Guitar Fretboard Workbook (Paperback)
I have to be honest, I haven't finished the book yet but I've been using almost for a month now. How's that then? Well is not a novel, you are actually learning to understand how the guitar fretboard works. The author focuses on 5 main octave shapes that are quite useful and then explains how the major scale fits in 5 other patterns on top of these octave shapes (CAGED system). The best part is that you actually do it yourself so you understand and remember what you are doing.
I like the method,I like the approach, I am learning very fast and I have a better understanding of the fretboard. It can get boring sometimes learning patterns and scales but hey, you can do something else too and come back to this when you feel like to.
The book will always stay as a reference book, there is a lot of theory within and I think I will always come back when in doubt. It also explains the minor scales, pentatonic scales and intervals so in spite of its size the book holds a huge amount of information.

5.0 out of 5 stars Spot on, 16 Nov 2011
Mr. R. Weller "richardspacepod" (cambridge uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Guitar Fretboard Workbook (Paperback)
Just what i needed an approachable but hardcore guide to the fretboard and how music theory relates to it. I've spent a few hours cross-eyed licking a pencil stub but it was all worthwhile.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book for finding your way around the fretboard, 25 July 2010
IAN EDWARDS (Cardiff, Cardiff, GB) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Guitar Fretboard Workbook (Paperback)
This is a really useful book for finding your way around the fretboard. Within the first few pages I found useful diagrams that helped in finding my way from one root to another all the way down the fretboard. There were a few of these things that I already knew but had never systematically put together to form a wider picture, and this is where this book is invaluable as it does provide the means for moving around the fretboard at will.

5.0 out of 5 stars A revelation, 27 Dec 2011
This review is from: Guitar Fretboard Workbook (Paperback)
This book WILL teach you your fret board, it takes a fairly simple concept and passes it across your whole fret board, I was spoilt this Christmas however this is the best item !!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Takes time, but a really good method!, 7 Aug 2011
This review is from: Guitar Fretboard Workbook (Paperback)
I bought this book a few months ago along with another book on theory. Overall I've used this book quite a lot, the other one not nearly as much.

When you first start this book you may be inclined to find it a bit "cheesy". The method suggests repeating things out loud to yourself etc, and my response was "yeah yeah yeah, whatever". However, I have to agree that the more you follow the suggested method the better you'll get on.

Conversely, I'd recommend that you take your time with this book. It hasn't been possible for me to rush ahead, but I've found that I'll work on one chapter for a while and keep returning to it. Whilst I'm doing that the other stuff starts to "click" - I start to "get it". What this says to me is that the method is working, and I'm starting to link the concepts together into a really good understanding of the guitar!

I'm very pleased I bought the book, and I'm using it to supplement my guitar lessons. Some of it you can do with just the book and a pencil (so a bit of learning at lunchtime isn't out of the question), but of course you do then need to run through the exercises on your guitar! The combination of the two works really well.

It's a good book. Buy it, stick with it and you'll start to "get it".

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Guitar Fretboard Workbook
Guitar Fretboard Workbook by Barrett Tagliarino (Paperback - 13 Oct 2003)
8.97