Format: Paperback|Change

on 24 January 2010
I checked out the website suggested in a previous review and the only chord wheel I could find does not compare to the one in this book. As someone fairly new to music theory I found this product to be extremely useful. I have read books about keys, chord progressions, transposing etc etc, but I have never found anything that explains the basics as well as this book. I guess a picture is worth a thousand words. To be able to see all the keys, their chords and the relationships between everything is invaluable. The book is thin and only goes into the basics but it will give you a solid foundation and a superb visual aid to use in the future.
on 30 October 2010
That it took me a while to see that the Wheel was part of the front cover of the book should give you an insight into my capabilities.

I am quite amazed at this product. Using Band-in-a-Box to produce my music is fine and amazingly easy, but getting into Chords, thats not easy. I have no contact with any musicians so this Chord Wheel is a great help to me in my Songwriting. Sure, it will take a while to read and digest the book, but I can live with that.
on 4 February 2011
From the day this book arrived from England, I have found it extremely useful. No more fumbling around trying to find the right chords to fit. Reading it was like an epiphany, everything just made sense. I mostly write commercial jingles and having this Chord Wheel to assist me in choosing chord structures enables me to work more efficiently. It also helps in analyzing the chord structures of other tracks, enabling you to make variations on them and turn them into your own pieces. I have it sitting beside my keyboard at all times. I would highly recommend this book.
on 2 August 2013
This book is a great quick glance reference. The contents explain how to use it if you are not already familiar with how chords relate to each other. The real benefit is the chord wheel on the front cover.

Turning the dial on the cover shows you the chords in a particular key. This really helps with putting music together. Of course you don't have to use those chords, but it is great starting point.

It's useful to figure out the key of a song too. A great, simple tool.
on 30 November 2013
I've bought a few quality music theory books over the last few years, inc.
~
Music theory for computer musicians
Learn to play keyboards - Steve Ashworth
The Keyboard Scale Manual - Leonard Vogler
Keyboard guide / Chords, Scales and Modes - Voggenreiter
~
All of the above have given me a good understanding of music theory, but none have really given me the tools to put the acquired information into practice, that is until now.

The Chord Wheel booklet may only contain 12 pages but it clearly and concisely puts all the relevant information right infront of the reader, and clearly explains the function of the chord wheel.

I am not the sharpest tool in the kit, and to me, written music will always look like tadpoles sitting on a fence, but I now feel confident enough to not only start improvising my own musical ideas, but actually now know what it is that stitches music together.

I must say that if the Chord Wheel was the first theory book I had bought, I probably would have felt a little bit lost, but with some pre-knowledge of basic chord structures, scales, and how these two forms are divided into degrees, using the Chord Wheel will give anyone the means to start creating impressive sounding musical textures.

When you understand how powerful this simple tool is, you will appreiciate that it is money well spent.
on 30 January 2013
A simple, but effective guide to chords and key signatures. It sits on my keyboard as a lasting reminder of what goes well together when I'm composing. The inside text is a useful feature as well, but normally I just use the front cover.
on 23 March 2011
Gives at a glance and spin, all cords for any key you wish to use or compose in.

book very thin but you a purchasing for front page wheel which helps make sense of

how cords are formed and if learning music like myself, helps understand cord

progressions so much more easily.
on 16 March 2015
The chord wheel, which is the front cover of this booklet, is an extremely useful device. Would have liked a little more about the music theory behind chords in the accompanying pages of text - but I guess this product is more for those with a reasonable 'working knowledge' of music, and this comment should not detract from the value of the chart. Adequately packed & delivered ahead of schedule.
on 11 October 2014
This is a handy wee tool for songwriters who are maybe a little unsure of where to go next in a song progression. It is clean, easy to read and understand and has helped when I have been searching for that one chord to round the song off.
on 3 March 2010
I recently lent my Chord wheel to a friend who after several months has not returned it. As this is by far the most valuable, low cost tool for any musician I ordered another. Yes there are other chord wheels on the web but this one is a little more sophisticated with extra functions other than just a transposition tool. Especially helpful for jazz musicians who deal regularly with the number concept of chordal progressions (ie ii-V-I) etc. Perhaps not for the DJ who's musical prowess is limited to playing other peoples music and not used to creating his/her own, nope, this is a musicians tool, and a best friend too.