Format: Paperback|Change

on 24 July 2009
The title for this book is some what decieving. It is very well written but NOT a good read for those with no previous knowledge. If you are studying towards chid development or pyschology I recommend reading Donaldson's "children's minds" by 'Fontana' before contemplating this one.
This is a good book, not so much an 'introduction' to child psychology, but rather a good resource for study or an introduction to child psychology for those with some background in psychology!
A good reference for study but not really a great book to read for pleasure.
on 6 May 2011
I am using this book along side my studies of child psychology and am dipping in and out of sections of the book as I go along. It is very easy to understand and follow. At times there are terms and languages which are hard to understand but there are notes in the margins with explanations of some technical terminology used in the book to save you looking it up on the internet. It is a worthwhile read for anyone who is studying child psychology or for any parent who wishes to understand children or their child better.
on 7 February 2009
Introducing Child Psychology

A great book to get started in the world of Psychology, whether it be child or adult - we were all children once. It is easy to read. It would also help parents wishing to understand their children's behaviour and future development. I will be using this quite a bit as a reference point during my degree course.
on 26 January 2012
I have bought this book for extra reading before my OU undergraduate degree course starts. I have only read the first chapter but was inspired to write a review to share my positive experiences so far. I am using the book to compile notes as well as increase my understanding of the subject from a text outside of the OU course. I am really pleased with this book it is extremely well written and not as heavy going (so far!) as other texts I have seen. What I really like is that there are continuous relevant (to child psychology) examples of what the author means when he writes about for example subjective/objective methods. This makes reading the book enjoyable as it doesn't just start spewing out loads of scientific jargon and expect you to grasp it with no explanation.

Overall it is easy to understand, flows really well and is (in my opinion) ideal reading for students, professionals and parents/carers.

I would say this is a must read for students of psychology and students studying aspects of child / human development.
on 12 September 2013
I used this book for a university course on child psychology and found it to be well-written, easy to understand and very informative. New terms are explained in the margins and there is a glossary at the end of the book. I still refer to it now and again as it is a really good resource. The chapter on the Russian teacher and psychologist Vygotsky, for example, is a good introduction to his vitally important work that is often ignored. Another advantage of Schaffer's work is that he uses examples from different cultures to illustrate and to test various theories.

If you have no previous knowledge of psychology then a chapter on child psychology/development in an introductory psychology text might be more suitable. But if you are familiar with basic psychological terminology this book should be fine.
on 8 August 2013
I bought this as pre study for my upcoming course with the open uni, I am nearly half way through and finding the reading really useful, educational and feel this will defiantly help me. would recommend to all in childcare.
on 15 February 2013
Looks at child psychology and the theories of Piaget and vygotsky. I hadn't any previous psychology knowledge and found it easy to understand.
on 27 April 2016
very helpful, clear, accurate, written in a simplistic way but covers everything and was on my university reading list as a first year student
on 27 May 2013
Got this as a pre-reader for an Open University degree module. Very useful.
Good insight into the basics of child psychology.
on 17 August 2015
A great book if interested in Child Psychology! I read it for a my university module and than bought it to keep it in my library!